PDA

View Full Version : Carb and Points Upgrade?

alp
11-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Considering upgrading our 92 190 slot 285hp.
1. Is it better to rebuild the dual feed carb (4010) or replace with a single feed (4160)? Any differences in performance when both are working correctly?
2. Should we install an ignition kit upgrade to eliminate the points? Which one is best?

east tx skier
11-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Go with the 4160. I had my 4010 rebuilt to hopefully save a few bucks and it remained a P.O.S. The only difference I noticed with the 4160 was a slightly smoother response from the boat during the hole shot. This was only noticeable from the driver's seat. The skier just feels a solid pull. You may have to go with a flexible fuel line as skidim is no longer selling the solid fuel lines for our fuel pumps.

Electronic ignition was standard on my boat, but everyone I know who has upgraded from points claims that it is a great upgrade. Call skidim and see what they recommend (mine is prestolite).

alp
11-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Thanks. Think I'll go with the new 4160. BTW how do you post pictures?

east tx skier
11-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Check out this post (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=103156&postcount=10).

Bruce Carr
11-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Your '92 should have electronic ignition (no points) from the factory.

alp
11-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Great! Thanks

loeweb
11-06-2006, 04:15 PM
As far as upgrading from points to electronic, what's the price to upgrade? Is it doable for the simple minded?

cep89
11-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Summit has a electronic distibutor conversion that adds an amp for about $110.00. I was thinking of going that route. Has anyone tried it? It would seem to be like adding a MSD.

TMCNo1
11-06-2006, 05:03 PM
Your dealer can get one from MC or www.skidim.com has them for around $100. It's a DIY project and there is even a detailed, pictures included thread on here for your reference.

TRBenj
11-07-2006, 10:48 AM
You may have to go with a flexible fuel line as skidim is no longer selling the solid fuel lines for our fuel pumps.

Flexible fuel lines are not a good idea for marine use. Another option is to bend your own fuel line. Just buy solid brake line of the same diameter and bend it yourself. The brake line and bender are available at autozone. The tricky part is finding a tool to put the double taper on the end you cut to length. Luckily, I have a friend who has such a tool, but I would imagine a machine shop may have one.

TMCNo1
11-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Flexible fuel lines are not a good idea for marine use. Another option is to bend your own fuel line. Just buy solid brake line of the same diameter and bend it yourself. The brake line and bender are available at autozone. The tricky part is finding a tool to put the double taper on the end you cut to length. Luckily, I have a friend who has such a tool, but I would imagine a machine shop may have one.

I had trouble keeping my original fuel line tight at the brass carb fitting and it would not quit leaking and when I tightened it, it would twist the line then, it would untwist and break the brass fitting loose at the carb.
I bought one of the last S/S solid lines from skidim and had it polished, only to find it was 1/4" too short to reach the carb and there was no feasible way to bend it to gain 1/4", so I had a S/S braided line w/chrome fittings made up by a Street Rod Shop for $52, 1 1/2" longer and the problem was solved, no leak in 4 years.

martini
11-07-2006, 11:18 AM
You can use SS braided hose line and cut it to what ever length you need and it is a "soft" line. They use it in racing applications, so it should be just fine for marine use. The connections are rock solid and you can disassemble them very easily. The hardest part is installing the end hose pieces. Something found here http://www.russellperformance.com/ can be order at www.Summitracing.com

east tx skier
11-07-2006, 12:13 PM

Good info. Did not know that about the fuel lines. That's just the last I heard as far as what skidim was selling. The only single feed hard lines I saw were for the PCM fuel pumps.

alp
11-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Thanks again. Think I'll check some local dealers for the single feed fuel line. Here's the boat just before we put it away for the winter.

alp
11-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Here's one from the front

east tx skier
11-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Pretty boat. Good luck.