PDA

View Full Version : SilentMaster alternative?

mrG
11-06-2006, 10:25 AM
I have a SilentMaster on my 92 190 and have been thinking about replaceing it with an independant in-line silencer/glass pak type set-up.

By not having a SilentMaster system would improve access to the drive train for maintenance etc but I was wondering about the change in exhaust noise, if any.

The SilentMaster is a fairly quiet system. Do the in-line units change the exhaust noise signature dramaticly?

bigmac
11-06-2006, 10:43 AM
I have a SilentMaster on my 92 190 and have been thinking about replaceing it with an independant in-line silencer/glass pak type set-up.

By not having a SilentMaster system would improve access to the drive train for maintenance etc but I was wondering about the change in exhaust noise, if any.

The SilentMaster is a fairly quiet system. Do the in-line units change the exhaust noise signature dramaticly?

IIRC, MYMC mentioned that the inline baffled exhaust (no silencer) that MasterCraft is now using on all their boat since the '07 model-year is "within 3 db" of the previous system, not noticably louder, but with a nicer tone. That system is "Part # 253030 MSRP $165.50 (each) MYMC price $130. You'll remove the fiberglass mufflers and extend the hoses to the transom. Not a direct bolt in but pretty easy."

That price that MYMC mentions is actually a little cheaper than what you can buy those other inline mufflers for, and it includes the tips. I'm not sure I can wait for my silencer to fail.

Chief
11-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Are the new exhaust holes in the 07 transom 4" instead of 3" for 06 and below?

bigmac
11-06-2006, 11:37 AM
Are the new exhaust holes in the 07 transom 4" instead of 3" for 06 and below?

It's my impression that, yes, you have to enlarge the hole in the transom for the new tips. I want to emphasize that I'm not sure about this, though.

TMCNo1
11-06-2006, 01:15 PM

A friend of ours has a MariStar 210 with the SilentMaster crossflow muffler that developed a crack in it and he replaced it with 2 single units for under $300 with very llittle trouble and the sound did not change enough to even tell.

loeweb
11-06-2006, 03:26 PM
What's wrong with a good loud throaty boat anyway. Let'er eat as we always say. I personally love the noise my boat puts out. That way, the passengers have to wait to talk about whatever.

JKTX21
11-06-2006, 03:49 PM
I do like the sound of an old 351... what do they have? No muffler?!

mrG
11-06-2006, 04:59 PM
I looked at the skidim site and they offer a couple of different silencers. One is a smaller 12 inch pack and another is a unit about 4 feet long. The longer pipe has the forward end angled up toward the riser so you don't have to wrestle so much with the rubber exhaust hose.

Anyone tried one of these designs?

Jeff Lyman
11-06-2006, 08:46 PM
Anyone interested in an adjustable exhaust quite to loud? I will be building one next spring for my 93 mc 205 351 HO. I've built a few for cars and boats before, it's pretty cool when done. It takes about 5 sec. to go from closed stock sound to wide open straight thru. I'll post after testing next year.

Chief
11-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Anyone interested in an adjustable exhaust quite to loud? I will be building one next spring for my 93 mc 205 351 HO. I've built a few for cars and boats before, it's pretty cool when done. It takes about 5 sec. to go from closed stock sound to wide open straight thru. I'll post after testing next year.
Sure, NEXT YEAR? Would that be 06 or 07?

DooSPX
11-06-2006, 10:05 PM
A friend of ours has a MariStar 210 with the SilentMaster crossflow muffler that developed a crack in it and he replaced it with 2 single units for under $300 with very llittle trouble and the sound did not change enough to even tell.

do you know if they are the 44" or the short bullets?
and, did he notice better throttle responce?

Jeff Lyman
11-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Sure, NEXT YEAR? Would that be 06 or 07?
Spring 07, my boat is all tucked away for the winter, heck I never even got a digital shot of it for this site. I have to use the old Donzi for now.

bigmac
11-08-2006, 07:18 AM
Anyone interested in an adjustable exhaust quite to loud? I will be building one next spring for my 93 mc 205 351 HO. I've built a few for cars and boats before, it's pretty cool when done. It takes about 5 sec. to go from closed stock sound to wide open straight thru. I'll post after testing next year.Those exhaust cut-outs are illegal on boats in Minnesota. My buddy bought his Four Winns when he lived in New York and it has that electric exhaust switch. He couldn't, register it, title it or sell it in this state without having a tech certify that the diverter was wired open and the switch was disabled.

bigmac
11-08-2006, 07:18 AM
Anyone interested in an adjustable exhaust quite to loud? I will be building one next spring for my 93 mc 205 351 HO. I've built a few for cars and boats before, it's pretty cool when done. It takes about 5 sec. to go from closed stock sound to wide open straight thru. I'll post after testing next year.Those exhaust cut-outs are illegal on boats in Minnesota. My buddy bought his Four Winns when he lived in New York and it has that electric exhaust switch. He couldn't, register it, title it or sell it in this state without having a tech certify that the diverter was wired closed and that the switch was disabled.

mrG
11-08-2006, 07:36 AM
I looked at the skidim site and they offer a couple of different silencers. One is a smaller 12 inch pack and another is a unit about 4 feet long. The longer pipe has the forward end angled up toward the riser so you don't have to wrestle so much with the rubber exhaust hose.

Anyone tried one of these designs?

Jeff Lyman
11-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Those exhaust cut-outs are illegal on boats in Minnesota. My buddy bought his Four Winns when he lived in New York and it has that electric exhaust switch. He couldn't, register it, title it or sell it in this state without having a tech certify that the diverter was wired closed and that the switch was disabled.
That's to bad. And I thought New York was the state with all the rules !
It is the state with all the taxes, most of you out there would never believe what we pay for taxes, heck I would of bought a new MC if they were in line with the rest of the country.

SKI*MC
11-08-2006, 09:54 PM
my friend Chad pulled the mufflers off his 06 TT and put in straight PVC pipes. It sounded nice and thoughty, but not as nice as ours WITH mufflers! ;)

rmc1
11-09-2006, 05:34 AM
you can get slientmster inline replacement mufflers to replace the crosserover one from your dealer They quit making the crosserover one because after a while they would rust and put water in the bilge

DooSPX
11-09-2006, 09:24 AM
SKI*MC, he put in straight "PVC pipes? The PVC wont melt? and you say it sounds good, but not as good as a 351 w/ mufflers? how load is his boat?

TMCNo1
11-09-2006, 02:51 PM
you can get slientmster inline replacement mufflers to replace the crosserover one from your dealer They quit making the crosserover one because after a while they would rust and put water in the bilge

I thought they were of fiberglass construction and they would crack at the pipe in and pipe out joints and were nearly impossible to repair.:confused:

TMCNo1
11-09-2006, 03:00 PM
SKI*MC, he put in straight "PVC pipes? The PVC wont melt? and you say it sounds good, but not as good as a 351 w/ mufflers? how load is his boat?

If the pipes get hot from lack of water for some reason they will melt/burn just like the rubber pipes from the manifolds to the PVC and from the PVC to the exhaust flanges on the transom. Using S/S or aluminum pipes in place of the mufflers could also be used, but if there is no water in the pipes the rubber pipes that connect everything to the replacement pipes will still burn up.

Chief
11-09-2006, 03:04 PM
I like the avatar TMCNo1!

TMCNo1
11-09-2006, 03:41 PM
I like the avatar TMCNo1!

Gotta keep changing to throw everyone off! I got some other good ones in the drawer for later!