PDA

View Full Version : Wesbar Flat Five Trailer Wiring

BuoyChaser
11-06-2006, 12:11 AM
found this post on trailer wiring: http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000942.html

Standard 5-Way harnesses have a 5' blue wire (auxiliary circuit) and a 4' white wire (ground), see http://www.wesbar.com/products.php?group=21&subgroup=22

Common "flat four" arrangement, the standard wiring color code is as follows:

FLAT FOUR TRAILER WIRING

WHITE = battery negative or trailer chassis ground

BROWN = tail lights and clearance lights

YELLOW = left turn light and left brake light

GREEN = right turn light and right brake light

To help remember the color code:

RIGHT and GREEN both have an "R".
YELLOW and LEFT both have an "L"
WHITE is the neutral color
BROWN is burning all the time

If the lamp for your right tail light does not illuminate:

--it is not receiving current from the BROWN conductor, or

--it is not returning current to the WHITE conductor, or

--there is a problem with the light bulb or its socket in the lamp

Here is a good article from the fine folks at TRAILER BOAT MAGAZINE on diagnoses and repair of trailer lighting problems:

http://www.trailerboats.com/images/elements/1075501_trailerlights.pdf

BuoyChaser
11-06-2006, 10:23 PM
okay, of course it didn't work on my '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee, what the %$#&?!?

TMCNo1
11-07-2006, 09:25 AM
okay, of course it didn't work on my '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee, what the %$#&?!?

Most domestic vehicles use this wiring schematic for trailer/vehicle lights, yet some domestic and all foreign require a adapter to adapt this schematic to trailers, because,
--most domestic have stop/turn on same bulb.
--Some domestic/all foreign have stop and turn on seperate bulbs.
IIRC
Most any auto parts have kits and/or trailer shops, U-Haul has them and will wire the vehicle for a trailer for $25 + Kit, at least around here.

BuoyChaser
11-07-2006, 10:13 AM
okay, made my own so possibly the wires are not setup right, any thoughts???

BuoyChaser
11-07-2006, 10:14 AM
obviously the flat-head was already built,

dmayer84
11-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Are you going to the flat 5 from the 7 way, or going the opposite way to the 7 way from the flat 5

BuoyChaser
11-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Are you going to the flat 5 from the 7 way, or going the opposite way to the 7 way from the flat 5
going from 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Factory tow light "Round Connector" (7 way) using the above pigtail i built to go 5 flat to 5 flat on the trailer...

i used the color code guide on the Westbar round connector...when i first connected it with running lights the trailer backup lights were on...now i get nothing for trailer lights...

Sodar
11-07-2006, 10:37 AM
going from 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Factory tow light "Round Connector" (7 way) using the above pigtail i built to go 5 flat to 5 flat on the trailer...

i used the color code guide on the Westbar round connector...when i first connected it with running lights the trailer backup lights were on...now i get nothing for trailer lights...

The best thing to do is get a volt meter and test your 7-round. For example, turn your running lights on, if you get 12 volts, then you know that that is your brown. Right blinker, get 12 volts, that is your green. That way it accomplishes to things, first you know if everything on your vehicle works and second, you can make your own personal wiring diagram... in my experience the standard is sometimes NOT the standard and the 7 round set-up is different.

dmayer84
11-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Here is a diagram that I used when going from 5 flat to 7 way. Number 4 and 2 will go unused in your application.

flyingskibiker
11-07-2006, 01:55 PM
my grand cherokee had the wiring diagram included. but since it's a separate sheet of paper, it might have been included w/ the towing package... anyway, i was given a plug that is an adapter in itself - 7 to 5. the 5 flat end is the standard wiring. i think the wiring (ground, running, etc.) is even molded into the plug/adapter.

flyingskibiker
11-07-2006, 01:57 PM
the hardest part is knowing your trailer wiring... if you don't already know it, the circuits either have to be sounded out or just use trial and error. 8p

The best thing to do is get a volt meter and test your 7-round. For example, turn your running lights on, if you get 12 volts, then you know that that is your brown. Right blinker, get 12 volts, that is your green. That way it accomplishes to things, first you know if everything on your vehicle works and second, you can make your own personal wiring diagram... in my experience the standard is sometimes NOT the standard and the 7 round set-up is different.

BuoyChaser
11-07-2006, 02:10 PM
Here is a diagram that I used when going from 5 flat to 7 way. Number 4 and 2 will go unused in your application.
the trailer is on my 2005 197, and the old wire harness i had worked great so has to be standard setup...

i'll use this diagram to "re-wire" things the right way this time and try again...

there isn't a fuse on the trailer for the lights, is there???if the fuse blew on this accessory trailer plug on the Jeep, would the vehicle lights still work???

dmayer84
11-07-2006, 02:19 PM
the trailer is on my 2005 197, and the old wire harness i had worked great so has to be standard setup...

i'll use this diagram to "re-wire" things the right way this time and try again...

there isn't a fuse on the trailer for the lights, is there???if the fuse blew on this accessory trailer plug on the Jeep, would the vehicle lights still work???

There is no fuse on the trailer, depending on the way the car is wired it could be the same as the circuits for the car or a seperate fuse for the trailer. Best way to solve this is to look at the fuse diagram for the car.

Ric
11-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Yes, you may have popped a trailer fuse in the car. I would definitely check that out before you pull out all your hair

Tryin-again
11-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Since it worked for a while it sounds like a fuse or loose connection...

Here is a wiring chart which includes a jeep - I don't know if it will help any.......:rolleyes:

Also - next time - they make a 7 pole that a 4 0r 5 plugs into the back of......(conversion)

Tryin-again
11-07-2006, 03:19 PM
Like these