PDA

View Full Version : Support Our Troops

BriEOD
12-19-2004, 02:13 PM
Ladies & Gentleman of TEAM MC,

I'm sure each and everyone of you support some type of charity etc. It seems as if people always have their hand out. Right now we have many troops overseas for the holidays. Speaking as someone that has been overseas over various holidays it is sometimes hard to stay focused on why we are there. It is no fun to stand in line to use the morale telephone on Christmas morning for 2hrs or more trying to call back home. Yellow ribbons tied around trees and red, white and blue stickers on the backs SUVs saying "Support our Troops" are things that make civilians feel good but do nothing for the men and women actually in uniform. So please consider the following: The number ONE request at Walter Reed hospital is phone cards. Our troops that are being injured daily overseas to protect our freedom (whether you personally agree with the politics of it or not). The ones that make it back are sent to Walter Reed Hospital near Washington DC. The government doesn't pay long distance phone charges and these wounded soldiers are rationing their calls home or else the charges add up quickly. Many will be there throughout the holidays. I am asking that if you can find it in your heart, please send a phone card(s) of any amount to:

Medical Family Assistance Center
Walter Reed Medical Center
6900 Georgia Avenue, NW
Building 2, Third Floor, Room 3E01
Washington, DC 20307-5001

A phone card is probably half of what you pay to fill up the MC with gas. I see people thank the military everyday, but actions speak louder than words. They say they need an "endless" supply of these -- any amount even $5 is greatly appreciated. Wal-Mart has good prices on AT&T cards, Sams Club is even better, if you are a member. Please consider this as the Holidays are upon us. You won't get a thank you note or a tax break but you will be helping someone that protects your freedom 24/365.

I did some research on this subject but if you still question the authentication of this info go to the following websites:

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=77636
http://www.nra.org/troops/soldier.htm
http://www.wisinfo.com/newsherald/mnhopinion/281993759636303.shtml

Thank you for your time and consideration and Happy Holidays,
Brian & Carla Sharman

rem_p
12-19-2004, 03:43 PM
Brian thanks for sharing this with us. It is good to know how we can do some small things to help out the troops. A buddy of mine from college is having to be deployed Jan 5th to go to Iraq. He found out his guard unit was being called up just last week. He told me he would email me and send back address where care packages could be sent to the troops over seas... so as soon as i get this information i'll pass it along to everyone else.

I know most everyone has seen those little yellow LIVESTRONG braclets that people wear as a sign of supporting a cancer reasearch center. I was in a local gas station the other day and i saw similar braclets that are green and say SUPPORT OUR TROOPS...they are only a couple of bucks and like 90% of the money goes back to the soldiers so i would highly recommend that everyone purchase a couple of these when they see them.

east tx skier
12-19-2004, 08:06 PM
Good info, Brian. Thanks for posting it.

rem_p
12-20-2004, 12:14 AM
This is just an email I recieved from a man who used to live down the road about a half a mile from me. He's in the guard and has been in Iraq for some time now. But i thought i would include it here on this site because it seemed fitting to this topic.

Hello Everyone

Sorry took so long to write, we have been so busy, we are located at
our base here in IRAQ. Everything has went well. It is definitely different. I have a great job, I am currently working with civil affairs going out to local towns and villages and working with the local government and shieks on rebuilding there towns. It is dangerous but we go out in heavily armed convoys and we have superior gun power, so they don't mess with us, they don't really want to die as bad as the news makes out. The people i work with are really good people, they have been held down for so long and never given the opportunity to rise up and build there cities. We are currently working with the local shieks to build schools. The schools they currently use are mud huts with straw roofs. We just completed a new school and we went there to visit. There were 60 students who stood and cried and clapped and thanked us, it was one of the most emotional things i have ever been through. WONDER why you never see this on CNN. There is so much good going on. We are rebuilding all roads that were dirt and paving them, We are building schools and universities and clinics all over the country. I feel I was put in this position for a reason. I am taking lots of pictures, i will send them on a CD when i get it full. The place we are located is right beside the UR where Abraham was born, it is a awesome site. I am going on a tour of the pyramid next week. We also are about 60 miles from the site of the original garden of eden and Adams tomb so they say. I am just awed and floored by this. As you can see we are doing good and i am excited about what i am doing. We sometimes forget how dangerous it is when we are out. But i always feel like i am safe and someone is watching for me. Keep praying for us all. I hope everyone has a great holiday season. love you all.
CPT Johnny F Keel Jr.

PS. Pictures will be on the way soon.

DanC
12-20-2004, 12:23 PM
Brian, that is a great idea.

My company put together a bunch of care packages for troops and some people had the idea to put stamps in the packages. Didn't realize the troops get free postage. But not phone calls, PHONE CARDS ARE GREAT IDEA.

btw when you get a response like this, it kinda makes your day.

Comments/Area of Interest: Hi. My name is Anna Obregon. I am a U.S.
soldier serving in Baghdad, IRAQ. I was eating some crackers that your
corporation sent to us and wanted to drop a line just to say Thank you.
I thought it was awesome how you put on the label...."The employees of EDO Corp thank you for your commitment to our country and your contribution to promoting freedom and liberty throughout the world." It is the little things like that note which really make being over here easier. I am a mother of a 17 year old and 2 year old. This was my first major holiday away from my husband and children. What your corporation does for the troops here is appreciated. I wanted you to know that your goodies and your words do reach us.
Thank you for supporting us.
SSG Anna Obregon
Baghdad, Iraq

BriEOD
12-20-2004, 01:57 PM
That is great Dan thanks for sharing. It's the little things sometimes that make the difference.

Jim@BAWS
12-20-2004, 06:31 PM
I know "BriEOD" ( I know what he does maybe someday he can elaborate on it for all of you) and I can vouch for what he says. Having served overseas myself not to long ago, never in a combat situation It can get lonely helping serve our country. This is a simple way of saying thanks...Brian I am on my way to WALMART tonight. Even though I am a civilian now I never take for granted what our Military does for us. To Brian and ALL the others who serve our country. "Thanks for doing what you do !!!"

Jim @ BAWS