PDA

View Full Version : SilentMaster Muffler...loose flap inside

procamp
11-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Does anyone have a diagram of what is inside the Silentmaster muffler?

I have a 98 200 VRS w/ Lt-1...mechanic says there is a loose flap of fiberglass inside the muffler that he could see with a flashlight.

Can something like this cause uneven heating in the exhaust risers if there is a blockage?

Where can I get, and how much, is a replacement if necessary?

Thanks guys...a world of good information here,

Bill

Chief
11-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Possible, but with your situation I would have him show you for proof. You can get the muffler from any MC dealer, but I would recommend Mastercraft of Charlotte. Good people! But then again I would trash that muffler and look for a short muffler for each side and remove that maintenance blocker out of the way.

bigmac
11-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Possible, but with your situation I would have him show you for proof. You can get the muffler from any MC dealer, but I would recommend Mastercraft of Charlotte. Good people! But then again I would trash that muffler and look for a short muffler for each side and remove that maintenance blocker out of the way.

Agreed, I'd pitch that sucker and put in inline glasspacks, or a baffled exhaust.

http://www.skidim.com/images/41204.jpg

procamp
11-06-2006, 01:24 AM
driving up in the morning to check it all out.

Thanks guys

p.s Anyone see any problem with me reaching inside and trimming that flap off and just removing it?

H20skeefreek
11-06-2006, 08:46 AM
I would imagine that this "flap" probably seperates different chambers (or is supposed to ) so cutting the flap probably negates anything that the "silent rider" is doing. I would do what is suggested and get some inline mufflers and put them under the floor. You can get the long fiberglass mufflers that most of us have, or you can go with those shorties too. Any West Marine can order them for you, or www.skidim.com (http://www.skidim.com) has the long ones if you don't have a WM near you.

mrG
11-06-2006, 09:18 AM
I was told by my mechanic that the muffler has many baffels inside of the Silentmaster. I would not think that removing one of these plates would have that big of an effect on performance.

I would agree with the previous post that replaceing the Silentmaster with in-line type silencers would be a good idea thus allowing easier access for maintenance.

bigmac
11-06-2006, 09:24 AM
I was told by my mechanic that the muffler has many baffels inside of the Silentmaster. I would not think that removing one of these plates would have that big of an effect on performance.

I would agree with the previous post that replaceing the Silentmaster with in-line type silencers would be a good idea thus allowing easier access for maintenance.

I'd love to get rid of the Silentmaster in my 2004 MCX / V-drive. That sucker takes up a lot of working space back there making even basic stuff like impeller replacement an unpleasant experience.

http://mccollister.info/rwpumpvisegrip.jpg