PDA

View Full Version : '94 205 Rear Seat

BIGBADBLUE
11-05-2006, 09:13 AM
I got issues with my rear seat. I never knew that the seat actually has wood in it and mine is rotting. There is a strip of wood on the bottom of the seat and it is soft like butta. I thought the only wood on this boat was the platform.

Has anyone taken apart the rear seat and replaced the wood?

shepherd
11-05-2006, 09:37 AM
Blue,

When I had my upholstery redone, the shop had to replace the wood in the rear seat. I don't know about your boat, but in mine (1990 PS 190) the rear bench seat is actually made from a hard "styrofoam" material. It has wood slats in it solely for the purpose of having something that the vinyl can be stapled to. The wood slats are glued to the styrofoam.

My interior side panels are also made of wood and a few pieces of those had to be replaced also.

WTRSK1R
11-05-2006, 07:14 PM
My '92 205 had the same wood in it. There are slats along the edges of the seat pretty much any place there are staples. The rest of the seat is a big piece of styrofoam. I pulled the vinyl off, and replaced all the wood. It was 1/4 thick plywood. I replaced it with the same after I put a couple of coats of Thomsons water proofing on the wood. I used a spray on cement similar to contact cement to reattach the new wood. I was afraid that contact cement might disolve the styrofoam, but the spray worked ok. My wood was rotting at the base of the back part of the seat, and the staples were all falling out. It was not a bad job, but there are hundreds of staples in that back seat. I used stainless staples when I put it back together. Not a horrible job, but very time consuming. Good Luck.

Steve

BIGBADBLUE
11-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Thanks guys. I took it apart today and you are all correct. I will replace the wood over the next few weeks. the wood replacement will not be bad but man I hate replacing the vinyl. Pain in the behind!!!!

Thanks again!!!!