PDA

View Full Version : waterfront areas for retirement........

Jerseydave
11-04-2006, 08:12 PM
If you wanted to retire tomorrow (and who doesn't!), where would you choose to live (waterfront home) and why. Try to keep the price of your chosen property under 1.3 million (sometimes hard to do with waterfront)

It's still about 15-18 years away for me, but it's nice to get ideas ahead of time :D

slalomskifreak
11-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Lakeway, TX (Lake Travis) is where I will retire if all goes according to plan.

Curt

norris laker
11-05-2006, 12:36 PM
I would retire on one of the TWA lakes in Tennessee. 1.3 million will buy an extremely nice house. No income tax in Tn (there is a high sales tax). No hurricanes (there are tornadoes). Nice hot summers for boating. Weather in Sept/Oct is fantastic. At the end of Oct the water was still 70 degrees and the air was in the 60s. Mild winters (if it snows, the snow melts in a day or two). The lakes are premier boating lakes. Cost of living is low.

rodltg2
11-05-2006, 12:58 PM
my own lake , with nobody else but my friends to share with...althjough it will bne a tad more than 1.3 mill

east tx skier
11-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Lakeway, TX (Lake Travis) is where I will retire if all goes according to plan.

Curt

We hope to be on the Pedernales. We'll drop you a line. ;)

slalomskifreak
11-14-2006, 01:25 PM
We hope to be on the Pedernales. We'll drop you a line. ;)

I will keep a seat at Johnny Fins warm for you.:D They better get some water in that lake or the Perd will be a creek not a river.:( We are going down over Xmas to look for property.

Curt

Sodar
11-14-2006, 01:35 PM
When I retire... in like 80 years!! I want this to be my waterfront "property"... sitting on the aft deck sipping cocktails, fishing and running this baby at 42 knots..... OH BABY!! I better get back to work!!

Monte
11-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Lake Lure, NC

Davo
11-14-2006, 03:02 PM
I would retire on one of the TWA lakes in Tennessee. 1.3 million will buy an extremely nice house. No income tax in Tn (there is a high sales tax). No hurricanes (there are tornadoes). Nice hot summers for boating. Weather in Sept/Oct is fantastic. At the end of Oct the water was still 70 degrees and the air was in the 60s. Mild winters (if it snows, the snow melts in a day or two). The lakes are premier boating lakes. Cost of living is low.
Sold! lol That's beautiful country up there. I just passed through last week on my way to Ohio for a huntin' trip.

TVA's, Cumberland, Lure, Norman...all the big lakes in that general area are spectacular as far as I'm concerned. We live on a little mud puddle in comparison, but we have great neighbors and live within 30 minutes of the beach and most of our family so we like it.

School Skier
11-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Maybe some place in Canada on a remote lake if there is such a thing anymore where you don't have to deal with fruits, nuts and vegetables.

uncleboo
11-14-2006, 05:02 PM
I I would retire on one of the TWA lakes in Tennessee. 1.3 million will buy an extremely nice house. No income tax in Tn (there is a high sales tax). No hurricanes (there are tornadoes). Nice hot summers for boating. Weather in Sept/Oct is fantastic. At the end of Oct the water was still 70 degrees and the air was in the 60s. Mild winters (if it snows, the snow melts in a day or two). The lakes are premier boating lakes. Cost of living is low.

I agree with Norris Laker! We are on Tim's Ford Lake in Middle TN and it is great! You forgot one other important fact: Master Crafts are made in TN!!!!

playtherapy
11-14-2006, 05:33 PM
We will take Tennessee too! Only we will go a bit west to Pickwick lake on the Tennessee River. No snow here, mild winters and a long summer to ski.

Harvey
11-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Lake Austin or like Eastie said the dirty Perd.

corey
11-15-2006, 02:58 PM
I'd split my time, summers skiing/boarding on Lake Pulaski in MN and winters diving and snorkeling in Belize.

loeweb
11-15-2006, 03:38 PM
three words ANYWHERE BUT HERE. Some place warm year round, calm water and close enough for friends to stop by and remember the old times!

Workin' 4 Toys
11-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Miami beach, with a Viking 52 and Mastercraft CSX220 at the end of the pier
And
Lake Vermilion Minnesota with a 197 & an X80 at the end of the pier....

(Sodar I'll meet you there.....;) )

Jerseydave
11-16-2006, 05:53 PM
Just looked at the map of Tenn. and wow! Tenn. has tons of lakes!
(Here in NJ we have maybe 6 that are boatable, some allow nothing larger than 20 feet. Plus the taxes on a 1 million $ house will run you between $16K-$20K per year!)

I'm actually going to look into Maryland when the time comes (15+ years from now) Lots of nice waterfront toward the northern part of the bay and its rivers. No salt water up there either! Boating/skiing season runs March-November. (longer with a dry suit)

boatless
11-16-2006, 06:11 PM
Yeah right !!! By the time you all retire, there would be nothing left but a run down spot of land around the Detroit Michigan inner city area. :D If you want some thing nice, better start buying now and enjoy it while you are young.

The only thing you all should be looking forward to retire, is six feet down below. :rolleyes:

boatless.

Jerseydave
11-17-2006, 01:11 PM
Yeah right !!! By the time you all retire, there would be nothing left but a run down spot of land around the Detroit Michigan inner city area. :D If you want some thing nice, better start buying now and enjoy it while you are young.

The only thing you all should be looking forward to retire, is six feet down below. :rolleyes:

boatless.

I'd love to buy something now, but there's this thing called $money$ that keeps tripping me up! :)

There will always be waterfront available in the future, just for a much higher price. :(

CoFooter
11-17-2006, 01:26 PM
I bought 3 acres of waterfront on a large lake in Arkansas years ago. I'm sure it a lot like the corps lakes in Tennesee. Its really waterpsorts Nirvana and not crowded. Its going to end up being way, way, below $1.3M for the retirement set-up. But it is where I'd build tommorow given the chance to retire early.

daveg
11-17-2006, 03:08 PM
CoFooter....interesting you mention Arkansas. A friend here in the Chicago area is looking at Mountain Home, Arkansas as a place to retire and has been urging me to as well, but good boating water will be a must for me. Is your place around Mountain Home? Is that a good boating/skiing area? Any other "reasonably priced" areas in Arkansas to consider?

School Skier
11-17-2006, 03:18 PM
Has anyone checked out Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia?

CoFooter
11-17-2006, 04:58 PM
CoFooter....interesting you mention Arkansas. A friend here in the Chicago area is looking at Mountain Home, Arkansas as a place to retire and has been urging me to as well, but good boating water will be a must for me. Is your place around Mountain Home? Is that a good boating/skiing area? Any other "reasonably priced" areas in Arkansas to consider?

Dave,

Actually in Mountain Home on Norfork. My father in law lives on the lake there and he's from Chicago area. Seems like a bunch of ex Chicago people retire down there. We bought about 5 yrs ago and the area has boomed. I'm not sure there is a lot of quality land left on the lake itself. The corps controls it pretty tightly and alot of the lots availble are not convenient for lake access (i.e. cliffs). Definitely worth checking out on a long weekend from Chicago though. My father in law made the trip almost every weekend for 6 months while he was building his house. Any time but weekend of the 4th when all the wallys come out. Other than that, suprisingly quiet.

Jerseydave
11-17-2006, 07:18 PM
Has anyone checked out Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia?

I've been there a few times.......awesome lake with 500+ miles of shoreline. You can literally get lost on it, but lots of coves/rivers to ski on. I went parasaling there on 600' of rope! What a view of the lake and mountains.

Housing there is getting more expensive (like everywhere), but still within reach of most people I would think.

Chief
11-17-2006, 07:33 PM
It's going to be hard to buy that waterfront property when the cost of boats keep skyrocketing. Hell the property should be included if you go big and buy a new boat these days.