PDA

View Full Version : The Shame Of It All!

Bruce
11-04-2006, 04:19 PM
I was just looking at "Boating Life" They are putting wakeboard towers
on about anything that floats. But when I read about a 2007 Mastercraft CSX with rod holders and livebait wells that did it.!
Guess I better look for a place for the trolling motor on my 230VRS.NOT!
To add injury to insult it is a center console! Got to go the wife just called 911 for me and they are at the door.

SKI*MC
11-04-2006, 04:30 PM
I felt the same way at first, but MC is taking a huge leap with this one. I mean, compair it to the new graphics, no one liked it at first, but it totally set them aprt from the other companies with all that tribal stuff on the side. The CSX is offering more to the Salt Water series. You watch, next year, 2 other boat companies will have a salt water fishing boat too. Malibu just came out with the SWS boats too... And incase you don't like the rod holders, you can order it with a tower.

Bruce
11-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Point well taken. Realize that I learned to ski behind a 1949 21 ft Century Coranado (yes a it was new) I guess at my age change comes slow. I swore I would neve be like that. Truth is my last boat was 18 ft fish & ski(Slickcraft) Truth be known the new design would have made sense for me since I operate in brackish water and my kids fish in salt. This being my first Mastercraft I guess I got caught up in the pride of ownership and the purity of design. (guess my old Studebaker was ahead of its time also)

bigmac
11-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Center console and rod holders are one thing, but note that the ice has been broken on installing trolling capability too.;)

http://mccollister.info/trollingmotor.JPG

Archimedes
11-04-2006, 06:25 PM
on about anything that floats. But when I read about a 2007 Mastercraft CSX with rod holders and livebait wells that did it.!
Guess I better look for a place for the trolling motor on my 230VRS.NOT!
To add injury to insult it is a center console! Got to go the wife just called 911 for me and they are at the door.

What would you rather they make, an X3-1/2? Mastercraft's pretty much got the slalom/wakeboard side of things covered. Too many models already if you ask me. Maybe they could make a 35 footer and call it the X120.

The CSX is a totally new direction that provides an engine or growth for the company. It will bring new customers into the fold, while only cannibalising some of their existing sales. Great idea if you ask me. It also appears to be a really cool boat that's probably going to offer a lot more fun and versatility than anything else in their lineup.

Bruce
11-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Mac how cool would it be to have that trolling motor set up for docking! I have a tricky situation in my slip particuliarly if current is moving or tide is changing.

H20skeefreek
11-04-2006, 07:53 PM
what boat is that? I see it is a 'bu, but what model? I would think that those trolling motors would get in the way while the boat is underway.

BriEOD
11-04-2006, 08:05 PM
............................Sure looks like a MC trailer.

bigmac
11-04-2006, 08:21 PM
Heh...I dont' know what Malibu it is. The word I got is that that boat was/is used in Malibu's photoshoots and that those motors were added to improve "station keeping" or something like that. The trim tab is also a modification that was mounted on the Wedge bracket. I don't know what the galvanised pipe thingies are - something to do with a photographer being able to stand on them.

H20skeefreek
11-05-2006, 12:37 AM
............................Sure looks like a MC trailer.
That is Definitely a Scarpa Suppression Plate. It's a 'Bu. Look at the trap door in the platform to get to the wedge plate.

Jeff Lyman
11-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Why couldn't someome bolt on an adjustable trim tab on a MC. It looks to me an easy way to adjust or tune in the wake height. Comments.

bigmac
11-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Why couldn't someome bolt on an adjustable trim tab on a MC. It looks to me an easy way to adjust or tune in the wake height. Comments.

MasterCraft did that in 06. This is a 2006 230VRS.

http://mccollister.info/06maristar/waketab.jpg

At least of couple of TMC users have done it after the fact, one with the Lenco tab that MasterCraft uses, another using a Bennett system.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=4812&highlight=bennett
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=4611&highlight=bennett
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=11290&highlight=bennett

Jeff Lyman
11-05-2006, 11:21 AM
How does it work? for the ability to trim depending on conditions it seems an inexpensive idea.

bigmac
11-05-2006, 11:25 AM
How does it work? for the ability to trim depending on conditions it seems an inexpensive idea.

By all reports it works great. Some MC's had a tendency to porpoise at some speeds and loads and the plate eliminates that. It also works well for wake shaping and a little bit of deflection tends to flatten the wake and soften the rooster tail - a nice thing on those Maristar hulls if you like slalom skiing. Cost for the Lenco is about $850-$900 IIRC.

Prostar19
11-06-2006, 01:09 AM
I heard Zane Schewenk rode behinde the CSX and said it was second in wake only to the X-Star against all othe MC's

bigmac
11-06-2006, 08:52 AM
on about anything that floats.

SeaDoo has a new 23 foot wakeboard boat out, complete with tower, dual ballast, and Perfect Pass. Twin engine jet drive, 430 horsepower, 3300 lbs. The base model is almost $44,000. Yikes!

http://www.sea-doo.com/en-US/Products/Sportboat/Sport/Wake230/Introduction.htm

Bruce
11-07-2006, 04:16 PM
Rod holders and center consoles do not a saltwater fishing boat make! This is a whole diffrent market and not a crossover. What type hull does a CSX have? I would not think of taking a ski/board boat into lake Pontchtrain unless it was flat, flat and I could get back to calm water fast. Also we fish the gulf so forget that. Our fishing boats are highy specalized based on the waters you fish and the type of fishing. What and where is the CSX designed for. Niche market?

Archimedes
11-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Rod holders and center consoles do not a saltwater fishing boat make! This is a whole diffrent market and not a crossover. What type hull does a CSX have? I would not think of taking a ski/board boat into lake Pontchtrain unless it was flat, flat and I could get back to calm water fast. Also we fish the gulf so forget that. Our fishing boats are highy specalized based on the waters you fish and the type of fishing. What and where is the CSX designed for. Niche market?

Well, having Blue fished in some seriously rough Atlantic water in a 16 foot Whaler, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this CSX would have been a better, safer boat than that thing. I spent my childhood days fishing and clamming on the Great South Bay off Long Island and this boat would be awesome for that body of water.

And who said this was a hard core fishing boat? It's a cross over boat, good at a number of things, but not necessarily the best at anything. I think there are a lot of people who will be interested in that type of boat, particulary in the fresh water boating market.

I'm guessing MasterCraft did some market research before they decided to build this boat...:rolleyes:

Bruce
11-07-2006, 06:03 PM
If you were reffering to a Boston Whaler trust me you were safer even though your judgement may be called into question for going into"seriously rough Atlantic water" in a 16 ft. boat. Read what I wrote I did not say it was a hard core fishing boat. You mentioned a lot of people would be intrested in this boat"particuliarly in the fresh water boating market" I thought it was a saltwater series boat!
As to their market research time will tell a lot of companies have gone downhill because of market research.
I did some market research and found that all Indians walk single file! (at least the one I saw did)

Diesel
11-07-2006, 06:23 PM
If you ask me the CSX is one of the reasons for the across the board 7% price increase. No way will they sell enough CSX boats to cover R&D costs......................too small a niche.

Archimedes
11-07-2006, 06:40 PM
I disagree. I think there are a lot of people that would never consider a Mastercraft that now will and some owners that will switch when it comes time to trade. Currently, Mastercraft's product is limited to the ski/wakeboard niche, which is a small part of the overall boating market. This is an opportunity for them to capture people who view the rest of MC's line up as too narrowly focused and inflexible, by offering a flexible, user friendly boat (and one that looks really cool in the right colors). I'd love a boat that offered serious wakeboarding capability but could stand up to the abuse caused by other activities like fishing, diving and just general trashing. The only reason I buy a Mastercraft is for the performance hull and an inboard. If you offer me that, but with more flexibility, I'd jump on it.

Archimedes
11-07-2006, 06:44 PM
If you were reffering to a Boston Whaler trust me you were safer even though your judgement may be called into question for going into"seriously rough Atlantic water" in a 16 ft. boat. Read what I wrote I did not say it was a hard core fishing boat. You mentioned a lot of people would be intrested in this boat"particuliarly in the fresh water boating market" I thought it was a saltwater series boat!
As to their market research time will tell a lot of companies have gone downhill because of market research.
I did some market research and found that all Indians walk single file! (at least the one I saw did)

I grew up fishing, so I do know the capabilities of a Whaler and I'd be hard pressed to assume it's any safer than this CSX. A lot of it is in the hands of the pilot. I had my old 190 in 3 ft swells once and never felt unsafe. Also, given MC already has 11 models in it's saltwater series that seem to be selling well and not generating liability lawsuits, what about the CSX would suddenly make it unsafe?

The SS series just means it's salt water capable. I doubt MC thinks that's the only market for this boat. I'd bet they sell more of them into fresh water use than salt water. Nor do I think they have any intention of 'competing' with hard core fishing boats. I think they realize there is a market for this cross over, do everything boat. Dad gets to fish, kids get to ski, mom gets to make lunch...

Bruce
11-07-2006, 07:06 PM
Who said anything about law suits or the CSX being unsafe. What is the hull design on the CSX?