PDA

View Full Version : 190 tristar sport vs. single counsole

myoldglory
11-04-2006, 01:47 PM
hi, I have a 1988 tristar 190 single console and I was wondering if anyone knew the big differences between this one and the sport version? I was also wondering if anyone knew of a maintenance book that would show me how to rebuild my carb. I've tried everything except rebuilding or replacing and still only getting about 40 mi/h and disapointed so if anyone has any pointers on what I could do get that higher that would be great too. I've messed with the distributer and mixture already.....

LakePirate
11-04-2006, 02:46 PM
Not sure about the differences. I think it may have just been the seating arrangement. IIRC the only differences were between the 220 and 190. I have an 89 Tristar Manual if you need a copy of one.

Welcome to the board.

We need Pics.

Jim@BAWS
11-04-2006, 02:53 PM
TRISTAR SPORT is a closed bow
Standard tristar is an OPEN bow

Change the prop to a 13 x 14. Test speed with a GPS
not the speedo. You should get approx 4400 RPM from the motor
If it is a POWERSLOT Transmission then it has a 14 x 18 prop.
You will loose a mile or 2 per hour with that transmission.

Look foward to your reply

Jim@BAWS

hi, I have a 1988 tristar 190 single console and I was wondering if anyone knew the big differences between this one and the sport version? I was also wondering if anyone knew of a maintenance book that would show me how to rebuild my carb. I've tried everything except rebuilding or replacing and still only getting about 40 mi/h and disapointed so if anyone has any pointers on what I could do get that higher that would be great too. I've messed with the distributer and mixture already.....

JohnE
11-04-2006, 06:31 PM
Standard Tristar cam with 2 interiors. from memory, a "walk through" which is the typical open bow; and the "walk around" which had a console type driver seat with small windshield and seating for passsengers which wrapped around bow. Sort of ugly, but seems very practical. Please don't take offense to that last statement.

myoldglory
11-06-2006, 03:27 PM
thanks for the info!!

myoldglory
11-06-2006, 03:30 PM
I was thinking about doing a little remodeling with the interior is why I was asking about the difference between the two, I like the one cousole arrangement because its really unique, but I think I might like to have a reg. passenger seat....

87 TriStar 190
11-08-2006, 12:03 AM
My 87 Single Console. I bought it new. 915 hours and trouble free. With PowerSlot, four blade 14X18, and GPS it's at 43 mph. We have pulled up 7 skiiers with a deep water start and it pulls two footers easily. It's unique, but everyone likes it.

east tx skier
11-08-2006, 12:06 AM
Just for grins, give your flame arrestor a good cleaning with carb cleaner. Let it dry really well, then reinstall. See how your top speed does. Also, have you calibrated your speedos recently?

87 TriStar 190
11-08-2006, 11:43 PM
I have never cleaned my flame arrester. Any tips on doing that? I ssume that's the screen over the carb inlet. Just clean the screen out? It looks pretty good, but I'll try it. I'm over the edge about keeping the boat perfect. I spent last fall and spring redoing the trailer. Also added a boat buddy and got rid of "the bar".

myoldglory
11-09-2006, 06:52 PM
good lookin boat! yeah, I think I just need my carb re-done. I had it winterized and the power valve needs replaced and accelerator pump needs some work too. hopefully that will do the trick. Is that 4 blade you have made for more power than speed? not sure on the differences yet...

myoldglory
11-09-2006, 06:53 PM
oh yeah, whats a power slot?

87 TriStar 190
11-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Power slot is a 1.51 to 1 ratio transmission. Standard direct drive inboards use 1 to 1 ratio engine rpm to prop rpm. Power slot prop is 14X18 and 1 to 1 is typically 13 X13. I'm sure the experts on this site will add to this. Power slot is advertised as giving more hole shot. Engine speed increases faster into the peak of the torque curve while the prop is still in the high efficency range. Top speeds are about the same. The three blade prop with the same diameter and pitch will be a little higher top speed. Four blade will be one to two mph less at top end. Turning is a little smoother with a four blade. These are all my observations and others are welcome to comment.