PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Attempted This?

Carbon Dreams
11-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Yikes...Now that looks like fun!

BriEOD
11-04-2006, 07:19 PM
I did some helio-casting (fall out of the chopper in the water) out of CH-46s when I was stationed in Hawaii about 10 years ago. I wish I had a photo. It was pretty cool.

BriEOD
11-04-2006, 07:21 PM
It looks like he is fast roping into that Rib now that I look at it. I've done plenty of rappelling and fast roping out of 47s and 60s and 53s.

bigmac
11-04-2006, 07:24 PM
Yikes...Now that looks like fun!Hmmm...looks like an episode of Fear Factor :D

I wonder who's under more stress there - the helo pilot, the fast-roper, or the boat driver. Looks like plenty of nervousness to go around.

BriEOD
11-04-2006, 07:34 PM
I've never flown the bird or drove a boat with guys coming down onto it, but the pre-brief from the rope master always scared the hell out of me. Bascially, he will tell you if they start to have problems with the bird they will cut the rope (with you on it) to save the bird and the crew. No lolly-gagging!

bigmac
11-04-2006, 07:48 PM
I've never flown the bird or drove a boat with guys coming down onto it, but the pre-brief from the rope master always scared the hell out of me. Bascially, he will tell you if they start to have problems with the bird they will cut the rope (with you on it) to save the bird and the crew. No lolly-gagging!

We used to practice helo assaults on marijuana grow operations using HU1's from the MN Guard attached to the D.A.R.E. program. They told us absolutely no rappelling and certainly no fast-roping from their helos :( . The only things a crew chief ever told me about flying around in a helo was to rest the barrel of my M16 on my toe, and if I threw up I was expected to do so down the front of my shirt or I'd be cleaning up a LOT of vomit from the entire inside of the bird.

BriEOD
11-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Lmao!! :d

flyingskibiker
11-06-2006, 01:07 PM
i have a question... when would that type of transfer ever be needed? ;-)

Workin' 4 Toys
11-06-2006, 02:13 PM
i have a question... when would that type of transfer ever be needed? ;-)
Recreational purposes I'd guess....There are two guys at "our" lake that have helicopters. And they use them for flying friends out over the water and diving in. It looks like fun...

M-Funf
11-06-2006, 02:43 PM
The only things a crew chief ever told me about flying around in a helo was to rest the barrel of my M16 on my toe

Same thing he told me during exersizes...:o

We were required to rappel out of the bird into thick trees, though, just no Austrailian Crawl...

mastercraft1995
11-07-2006, 05:22 PM
We use to do fast ropes, ladders, hoists, rappels, spy rigs all kinds of stuff out of MH53J's and HH-3E's when I was a flight engineer in the Air Force. We would do fast ropes like the picture above to shrimp boats or pleasure boats when we needed to put a rescue swimmer (PJ) on a boat. It's alot safer than doing low and slows (10 feet, 10 knots)and dropping them in the water.

We also use to do fast ropes, rappels, rope ladders and hoists from trains going down the track at 70 mph. Very stressful let me tell you.