PDA

View Full Version : Florida skiing at Christmas time

André
11-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Got 2 weeks vacations at Christmas and was thinking of going downthere for a week of skiing.
How's the weather "usually" at that time and any ski school that keeps operating during the holydays?
I know that there is a lot of places to ski around Orlando but any other area of Florida would be OK.
Anybody else thinking of ski vacations in Florida at Christmas?

Thanks for any infos!

atlfootr
11-04-2006, 01:44 PM
We'll be around, located in Winter Haven .
Your welcome to come over for sum pulls ... six balls await :D

shepherd
11-04-2006, 02:11 PM
Andre,
The weather in Orlando during the holidays could be sunny and in the upper 70s, or it could be cloudy, windy and in the 50s. "Typical" weather would probably be sunny and in the upper 60s, low 70s. Either way, the water will be chilly so you'll want a wet suit.

André
11-04-2006, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the offer atlfooter!
Shep,thanks for the infos.Happy birthday too!
Is Okeeleelee in the North or South of the state?

T Scott
11-04-2006, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the offer atlfooter!
Shep,thanks for the infos.Happy birthday too!
Is Okeeleelee in the North or South of the state?

Okeeheelee is in the southeast part of the state.. West Palm Beach/Ft. Lauderdale area. Very Nice facility!

shepherd
11-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Okeeheelee is in the southeast part of the state.. West Palm Beach/Ft. Lauderdale area. Very Nice facility!

What's the deal with that place? Is it open to the public? Bring your own boat or do you buy passes from a school/company that's on-site? If you bring your own boat, do you rent time on the ski lake?

BriEOD
11-04-2006, 08:11 PM
What's the deal with that place? Is it open to the public? Bring your own boat or do you buy passes from a school/company that's on-site? If you bring your own boat, do you rent time on the ski lake?
My in laws are down their and my nephews play ball there. It is a county receration park. The lakes are the outside perimeter of the park. Contained inside is baseball, football, roller blade hockey rink, etc, etc. It is an incredible facility. As for the lakes, they are only good for slalom. They are very narrow. I may be exaggerating, but I bet I could throw a football from one shore to the other. Your boat must be an AWSA approved boat. You have to get a permit and pay a nominal fee. However, it is public as long as you fit the M.O. and pay the cash.

To answer your questions directly, yes, bring your own boat. No, their is not a ski school etc. In fact their rarely is anyone in charge around (the few times I've been there). Alternatively, you could stand at the ramp and beg for a set. I saw lots of MCs and SNs there.

Farmer Ted
11-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Got 2 weeks vacations at Christmas and was thinking of going downthere for a week of skiing.
How's the weather "usually" at that time and any ski school that keeps operating during the holydays?
I know that there is a lot of places to ski around Orlando but any other area of Florida would be OK.
Anybody else thinking of ski vacations in Florida at Christmas?

Thanks for any infos!

I heard Gators love Frenchies!

André
11-05-2006, 09:29 AM
I heard Gators love Frenchies!
Sure,Who doesn't like French cooking?:D

BriEOD
11-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Sure,Who doesn't like French cooking?:D
Brits........

André
11-05-2006, 09:46 AM
:) Brits........
You 'll be home for Christmas?
Where is Lutz?

I need a Florida map...

BriEOD
11-05-2006, 09:55 AM
Yes, I will be here. Come on by.

Lutz in due North of Tampa by about 15-20 miles. It is a rural suburb/neighborhood of Tampa.

trickskier
11-05-2006, 09:59 AM
There are several places around O-Town. There are also several places around Winter Haven & Auburndale. Your best bet would be to contact Waterski USA and ask for Carol Lowe.

atlfootr
11-05-2006, 07:28 PM
:) Where is Lutz?
I need a Florida map :confused: Here you go ... florida map w/ contacts :wavey:
What else do you need?

hacker
11-06-2006, 09:07 AM
I was in Florida last Christmas and was treated to some "a little above average temps". Most of the time it was around 75degF. Water temp was right around 70 IIRC, we wore short suits. I don't think I can make it again this year, so I'm going Thanksgiving week. Here's hoping for some good weather.

stuie
11-06-2006, 09:36 AM
I'm heading to Florida for 2 weeks at Christmas also, I'm staying in Bradenton, hopefully my family will let me get a couple of runs in....still need to find close places to ski though. Anyone know of any watersports stores in the area? looking to get a nice salomn ski for my 13yr son?

Cheers

Stuart

atlfootr
11-06-2006, 10:53 AM
I'm heading to Florida for 2 weeks at Christmas,
staying in Bradenton .... still need to find close places to ski. Anyone know of any watersports stores in the area?
Cheers
View the map I made, come bye anyone of us for a place to ski :wavey:

LakePirate
11-06-2006, 11:09 AM
I'm heading to Florida for 2 weeks at Christmas also, I'm staying in Bradenton, hopefully my family will let me get a couple of runs in....still need to find close places to ski though. Anyone know of any watersports stores in the area? looking to get a nice salomn ski for my 13yr son?

Cheers

Stuart

There is Jimmy Boy, the Jimster, Jimmy cracked corn and I don't care down at BAWS. He is on the board.

There is also Performance Surf and Ski in Orlando.

Where in Florida are you going?