PDA

View Full Version : Winter Hobies

jbfootin
11-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Well, it does not look as though I will be on the water again 'til spring. Wondering what other hobies some of the MCTT family have when the boats are stored away.

Me? I mostly get stuff done around the house that got put on hold all summer, Watch football, college basketball...drink beer and wonder how I can get back in shape for skiing.

erkoehler
11-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Snowmobile as much as possible!

88 PS190
11-03-2006, 12:23 PM
will snowmobile,
Indoor archery.
Its hunting season, pheasants are thick in Iowa this year.
School work.

jbfootin
11-03-2006, 12:29 PM
My brother has snowmobiles, and I have the boat..I don't have money for both. I always bust his chops that he is never guaranteed snow but I will always have open water 9 months a year;)

Chief
11-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Dirtbike, Harley and the crap I meant to do all summer.

milkmania
11-03-2006, 12:35 PM
my winter hobby used to be snuggling under the blankets.....

guess it gonna be VERY LONG WINTER:rolleyes:

jbfootin
11-03-2006, 12:42 PM
my winter hobby used to be snuggling under the blankets.....

guess it gonna be VERY LONG WINTER:rolleyes:
As long as you are not alone under the blankets, it can be fun!:rolleyes:

vogelm1
11-03-2006, 12:44 PM
Radio controlled airplanes....long winters in northern WI, and takes about a full one to complete a plane. Lots of balsa wood to glue together, covering, electronics. They are a blast to fly, but best on calm clear mornings or evenings..........when a guy needs to be strapping on a slalom ski. Haven't gotten around to buying a snowmobile yet, but gettin close. One of these years....

east tx skier
11-03-2006, 12:44 PM
Make beer. Drink beer. Repeat.

Flatwaterfooter
11-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Coach and play hockey and ride the sled when the chance comes up. Which last year it was a total of 23 miles. Terrible winter this year better be a lot of snow great way to clear the head after work

Archimedes
11-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Dirtbikes, coach my son's basketball team, and get my money's worth out of the NHL Center Ice package.

jbfootin
11-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Make beer. Drink beer. Repeat.
I love micro brews. There are a ton of restraunts that make their own beer around here. How expensive and is it to make your own? and is it hard to get something that is any good? My uncle makes his own wine and more often than not its nasty!

bcampbe7
11-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Winter activities:
-Snowboard if I get a chance
-Projects around the house (whatever comes up)
-Team Talk (to keep in the loop as to what all the other yahoos are up to)
-Vehicle projects (fix broken or worn-out stuff)
-"Snugglin'!"

peason
11-03-2006, 01:02 PM
House renovation - took the summer off for obvious reasons. I have to get the master bath done - I am tired of walking downstairs @ 5:30 in the morning! Snowboarding and snow skiing. Running the kids off to thier events - hockey, basketball and gymnastics. Playing on the ice with the kids.

playtherapy
11-03-2006, 01:12 PM
We ride 4 wheelers around the same lake we ski at. Just can't keep us away from the water!

M-Funf
11-03-2006, 01:14 PM
I've got more house restoration to do...wainscoating (more), and like Eastie, I need to make some beer...

I'll also spend 2-3 nights a week at the indoor shooting range...

Golf as often as possible...

Maristar210
11-03-2006, 01:16 PM
I am going to hibernate through about 150 meaningless polls from UMP. That's what 'll do.....

:D

thijs
11-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Because I can't waterski in the winter here, I suppliment with a copious amount of downhill snowskiing. In fact I used to alpine race (best winters of my life), and to return the favour to the people who taught me to ski I became a Canadian Ski Coaches Federation (CSCF Level 1) race coach.

I hope to be able to teach 7-10yo racers on weekends part time this winter. Otherwise I will end up teaching normal lessons parttime.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
11-03-2006, 01:45 PM
I am going to hibernate through about 150 meaningless polls from UMP. That's what 'll do.....

:D
Thank you, thank you, I am UMP and I will be here all winter.:D

east tx skier
11-03-2006, 01:48 PM
I love micro brews. There are a ton of restraunts that make their own beer around here. How expensive and is it to make your own? and is it hard to get something that is any good? My uncle makes his own wine and more often than not its nasty!

Basic equipment kit costs about $100. Get the $150 one. If you get into it, you'll spend another hundred or so. Intermediate ingredient kits cost about $30 and will yield 5 gallons or so of beer. Results have been delicious and tend to have more alcohol than the run-of-the-mill store bought stuff.

You won't save money doing it unless you brew a LOT of beer for a long time. But it's fun and satisfying.

Read this to get an idea of what to expect. www.howtobrew.com

P-Rod
11-03-2006, 01:50 PM
I just winterized my boat and put in storage for the winter. Starting this weekend, I will be pheasant hunting and duck hunting every weekend through January. Then pig hunting through spring. In addition, when I am not hunting we do alot of snow skiing during the winter months and into the spring as well.

rcnjson
11-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeer Hunting!
Ice fishing which eventually turns into ice drinking
eat chilli
skiing (like on a hill with snow)
Winter projects on the boat (in heated shop of course)
plan wedding - probably only do that this winter though
k

TMCNo1
11-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Working on the boat, keeping salt and mud off the vehicles and now a 14 week old grandbaby that I am already tutoring on the inner workings, detailing and care of a MasterCraft boat and trailer.

trickskier
11-03-2006, 02:36 PM
On warm days put the M/C in the St. Johns & go bar hopping!!:dance:

suedv
11-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Fun projects like one year Rick and I built a mountain dulcimer from a kit
Take winter scenery pictures
Organize my picutres
Plan landscape projects for the following year (my yard is in the local master gardener tour for next summer so the pressures is on for something extra special for next summer)
Read books
Think of home improvement projects for Rick to do :o
Clean things inside that I didn't have time to do while playing and working outside when it is warm
Watch videos with Rick

Harvey
11-03-2006, 03:09 PM
While you guys are doing all those things I will be on the water boarding. 100 degree sun rule is in effect. I love Texas.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
11-03-2006, 03:12 PM
I usually sit and think of meaningless polls to conduct here.....but I only do it because Staristar loves them so much.

jbfootin
11-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Basic equipment kit costs about $100. Get the $150 one. If you get into it, you'll spend another hundred or so. Intermediate ingredient kits cost about $30 and will yield 5 gallons or so of beer. Results have been delicious and tend to have more alcohol than the run-of-the-mill store bought stuff.

You won't save money doing it unless you brew a LOT of beer for a long time. But it's fun and satisfying.

Read this to get an idea of what to expect. www.howtobrew.com
Dear Santa...Bring me the $150 beer making kit....Thank you:)

My Mrs. Clause loves beer too so that might work:rolleyes:

east tx skier
11-03-2006, 03:20 PM
While you guys are doing all those things I will be on the water boarding. 100 degree sun rule is in effect. I love Texas.

I raise my glass of homemade suds to you. I'll be lucky if my driver and young spotter will make another trip to the pond with me. The rule of 100 doesn't work with them. They have a rule of 65. That has to correspond with our being in town. Since next weekend is Wurstfest, I'm skeptical. But we'll see.

Just bought my 15W40, my FL-1A, and my Dexron III today. Off to speculate on the extended weather forecast.

hacker
11-03-2006, 03:28 PM
follow DIII college hockey (FANatic)!
try to figure out how to get to Florida.
try to get out on the water at least once a month.
hit the slopes when I can (haven't snow skied in 2 yrs though).
go to the gym.
watch TV (have high def!).
work.

Datdude
11-03-2006, 03:34 PM
1a. Deer Hunt For A Few Days In November(WI Gun Season Only)
1b. Snowmobile
2. Snowmobile
3. Take Time Off Of Work To Snowmobile
4. Relax
5. Watch Football
6. Maybe A Bathroom or Kitchen Remodel If I Have The Energy:rolleyes:
7. Prepare For Another Busy Spring/Summer Of Work

LakePirate
11-03-2006, 11:29 PM
Referee College and High School Basketball.
Drink Beer.
Drink More Beer.
Check the forcast for the low temp.

point1234
11-04-2006, 02:52 AM
drink and then drink some more

6ballsisall
11-04-2006, 08:53 AM
Drink Makers Mark & Beer Sometimes
Move to Atlanta (ok thats not a hobby :rolleyes: )
Play w/ my 15 month old Daughter :love:
Snuggle under the covers :banana:
Work my arse off so I can buy a new BOTE!!!
Post WAY to much on TT

T Scott
11-04-2006, 08:55 AM
My winter hobby is Water skiing......heck it's a high of 82 degrees today!!;)

André
11-04-2006, 09:02 AM
My winter hobby is Water skiing......heck it's a high of 82 degrees today!!;)
Lake is slowly freezing here!
Got 2 weeks of vacations at Christmas,would it be skiable in your area at that time of year?
Need at least 60 water...
Thanks!

TMCNo1
11-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Working on the boat, keeping salt and mud off the vehicles and now a 14 week old grandbaby that I am already tutoring on the inner workings, detailing and care of a MasterCraft boat and trailer.

On or about 2031 she will be buying her own MasterCraft and the knowledge I give her when she is young will come in handy or she may have our 1989 PS190 and that's even better.

WTRSK1R
11-04-2006, 11:02 AM
I trade in my waterski for snow skis. I also am a homebrewer, and since I primarily brew Ales, winter is the best time since the temperture in the basement makes for better fermentation. Finally, I will probably due some home repairs and maybe some wood working.

Steve

tex
11-04-2006, 01:12 PM
Used to be as much snowskiing and boarding as possible. Due to the leg,...as much martinis, beers, and getting my wife to yell NO at me!

barefoot
11-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Downhill skiing....lots and lots of it!

Footin
11-04-2006, 11:24 PM
Eat alot and fater

T Scott
11-05-2006, 08:46 AM
Lake is slowly freezing here!
Got 2 weeks of vacations at Christmas,would it be skiable in your area at that time of year?
Need at least 60 water...
Thanks!

Water should be above 60....I'm in the heart of Orlando, Fl. Let me know if you'd like a pull. I have a slalom course 300 feet from my dock!!

Let me know.

Tom

JohnnyB
11-05-2006, 09:10 AM
Typical winter:
1) Duck/Grouse/Pheasant hunt

2) Deer hunt WI season

3) Stop skiing when lakes ice up

4) Put boat away, get out winter toys

5) Snowmobile. Typically a good mix of "guy riding" and "family riding", including at least one four-day weekend in the UP

6) Work around the house, if time permits

7) Start skiing in early april (<5mo away):D

When you think about it, the typical guy only gets 70 summers, 70 falls, 70 winters and 70 springs in his lifetime....make the most of it!!!

JohnnyB
11-05-2006, 09:17 AM
Dear Santa...Bring me the $150 beer making kit....Thank you:)

My Mrs. Clause loves beer too so that might work:rolleyes:

If Mrs. Clause brings you that gift, I'd be happy to volunteer my taste-testing help with the finished product.....kinda brings to mind the episode of Cheers where Norm gets the quality-control job at the brewery:cool:

jbfootin
11-06-2006, 09:56 AM
If Mrs. Clause brings you that gift, I'd be happy to volunteer my taste-testing help with the finished product.....kinda brings to mind the episode of Cheers where Norm gets the quality-control job at the brewery:cool:
I also have "Big Jack", that you have heard about but not met yet, he is a taste tester for Miller. It is shocking that they he doesn't drink the profits from Them;)

Workin' 4 Toys
11-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Well, it does not look as though I will be on the water again 'til spring. Wondering what other hobies some of the MCTT family have when the boats are stored away.

Me? I mostly get stuff done around the house that got put on hold all summer, Watch football, college basketball...drink beer and wonder how I can get back in shape for skiing.
R/C'in (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=6397):D
sleddin' (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5924):D
Makin' stuff (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=6835)
Plinkin' (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=7310):D

atlfootr
11-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Well, it does not look as though I will be on the water again 'til spring.
Wondering what other hobies some of the MCTT family have when the boats are stored away.IF, the "caddy's" looked like this I'd take up GOLF !!!!

http://www.worldgolf.com/caddy-chicks/view/sara-r-100.html

trickskier
11-13-2006, 12:11 PM
IF, the "caddy's" looked like this I'd take up GOLF !!!!

I do golf and I have never seen a Caddy like that on the golf course. Although, I must admit the beverage cart girls are usually pretty FINE!!!

JKTX21
11-13-2006, 12:49 PM
Aside from all of the hours I will be putting in at work due to the financial year end,

1) Drink as many different kinds of beer as possible
2) Recovering from #1
3) Tinkering with the boat
4) Quality time with the lady
5) Snowboarding (hopefully)
6) Staying fit for next season

Jerseydave
11-13-2006, 12:50 PM
I'll be:

-Organizing the basement for future finishing.
-Getting ride of odds-and-ends on e-bay.
-Maybe a little downhill skiing.
-Working my ars off to pay for the next boat!

Workin' 4 Toys
11-13-2006, 01:07 PM
I do golf and I have never seen a Caddy like that on the golf course. Although, I must admit the beverage cart girls are usually pretty FINE!!!
I have been wondering why they don't have a Hooters Golf course around here....
I mean they have/had a Hooters airliner.....:rolleyes:

jbfootin
11-13-2006, 03:38 PM
IF, the "caddy's" looked like this I'd take up GOLF !!!!

Did you look at some of the rates? some as low as $10 per hour up to $250 per round. Wonder what is inclueded:rolleyes:

tommcat
11-13-2006, 04:36 PM
well hunting season comes right after boating. birds then deer.
then it's snowmobile season.

and it's hockey season all year long

Sodar
11-13-2006, 05:04 PM
High Sierra's, just got their first dusting this weekend. I can not wait to go snowboarding. I have been in a post op state every winter for the last 3 years! I wonder if I can still do it anymore!!

atlfootr
11-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Did you look at some of the rates?
Wonder what's included:rolleyes:Can't say, that I really even made it to the green fee rates. :o

wakesport
11-13-2006, 11:07 PM
downhill skiing

thijs
11-16-2006, 11:15 AM
I was on my weekly 7 hour drive to work listening to my iPod and came across a couple of songs I cranked a few times in the Prostar this summer vacation. It really made me miss just cruising in the boat, and how close the family came together around the boat. There really is nothing like being in a boat that others gawk at, the sound of the Indmar and the feel of the throttle.

These are the ultimate small lake cruising machines, and that is not even using them for what they are designed for. Once we get behind (or beside) the Prostar we really are the Kings of the lake.

:( Can't wait for the ice to come off already!!!!! It has only been a month.

Some winter sentiment, you Florida guys have it good.

jbfootin
11-16-2006, 05:46 PM
It's almost hunting season here in WI!!!!:D

jbfootin
11-17-2006, 11:02 AM
20 hours to beer...I mean deer season...Beer season starts in about 6 hours;) :D