PDA

View Full Version : Should UofL be ranked 3rd?

kycat2007
11-03-2006, 12:36 AM
Since they won tonight and they are undefeated do you think they jump to 3rd above Florida who has one loss? Since Michigan and Ohio State play and that will give UofL a chance to move to #2 in the country if they win out, do you think UofL will and or deserve this ranking?

Eagle
11-03-2006, 02:39 AM
Congrats to UL fans for beating WVa but I don't think they deserve to play in the national championship game even if they win out. Michigan or Ohio State (or Florida or Texas) would beat them badly, in my opinion. Even at one loss, I think they are much stronger teams.

Go Buckeyes!

Chief
11-03-2006, 07:23 AM
With such a weak schedule it would be hard to make Louisville #2, but the football gods always have a way of working it out for the most part so the BCS can look like a good system. As I have always said, "BCS has one too many letters", and a sweet sixteen playoff would make it right!

GO IRISH!

LakePirate
11-03-2006, 09:30 AM
Unfortunately for the Big East they played on Thursday Night with the entire Nation watching. I do not believe that they are anywhere near as good as the 1-loss teams, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn, Texas, USC, Cal, and so on. Could they beat any of these teams once, sure, but so could a lot of teams with multiple losses. Are they undefeated in a BCS conference, yes. Does that mean they deserve to be in the BCS game....Nope. See Auburn.

Don't believe the Hype.

Maristar210
11-03-2006, 09:40 AM
In a word, no

Lakey is right

shepherd
11-03-2006, 09:53 AM
I think you should at least have a defense to be ranked #2 (or #3).

jraben8
11-03-2006, 09:58 AM
I hate to say it but Rutgers is 8-0 also and they are 15th. That's about where Louisville and WV should be.

No BCS for you... Most of the 1 loss teams would beat up on them like a JV team.

Now, I would like to see Boise State play one of the top 12 teams for a change just to see how good they are.

trickskier
11-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Since they won tonight and they are undefeated do you think they jump to 3rd above Florida who has one loss? Since Michigan and Ohio State play and that will give UofL a chance to move to #2 in the country if they win out, do you think UofL will and or deserve this ranking?

Not going to leap frog the Gators....No way just ain't going to happen.

captain planet
11-03-2006, 11:00 AM
JCrosby, an 8 team playoff is sufficient for a national championship bracket.

Lake Pirate, If L'ville goes undefeated they play on Jan 4, period. Sad as that is, that's the way it goes.

Trickster, L'ville will leapfrog the gators. It will happen late on Sunday night when the new rankings come out. If it doesn't happen, I'll gladly eat crow, Florida will play the Buckeyes in the Fiesta Bowl and you'll have one great big stink over the national championship AGAIN.

"This is Mr. Conductor talking here, I know what I'm talking about." - George Carlin.

trickskier
11-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Trickster, L'ville will leapfrog the gators. It will happen late on Sunday night when the new rankings come out. If it doesn't happen, I'll gladly eat crow, Florida will play the Buckeyes in the Fiesta Bowl and you'll have one great big stink over the national championship AGAIN.

"This is Mr. Conductor talking here, I know what I'm talking about." - George Carlin.

Better give me your address so I can send the crow now. I want it to be fresh Monday......:uglyhamme

kycat2007
11-03-2006, 11:43 PM
I believe that UofL is good and has made strides. I think that Miami is not at its usual powerhouse self and I after seeing WV not sure they deserved the ranking. U of L has won and that is all they can do. I am a fan of the SEC and think they would have a rough time with LSU, Florida, Auburn, and Lakey's team TN. I think they will jump Florida because of the Vandy game this weekend.

LakePirate
11-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Vandy would give U of L all they want, because they don't make mistakes.

Chief
11-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Unfortunately for the Big East they played on Thursday Night with the entire Nation watching. I do not believe that they are anywhere near as good as the 1-loss teams, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn, Texas, USC, Cal, and so on. Could they beat any of these teams once, sure, but so could a lot of teams with multiple losses. Are they undefeated in a BCS conference, yes. Does that mean they deserve to be in the BCS game....Nope. See Auburn.

Don't believe the Hype.

You forgot ND in the 1-Loss teams. I agree ND was way overated at the beginning but they are finding a nice stride now thier soft schedule has began, but look at other skeds and you will find the softies front loaded, but ND played the big boys to start. ND wins and the drop in the polls? Ya gotta love them or hate them! Don't ever think that if ND runs the table from here the BCS will overlook them. The fan base is huge and the BCS knows they will sell out a stadium if they are playing.

GO IRISH!

LakePirate
11-04-2006, 12:11 AM
You forgot ND in the 1-Loss teams.

No I didn't.
:)

Chief
11-04-2006, 12:13 AM
No I didn't.
:)
Haterade drinker eh? :)

kycat2007
11-04-2006, 01:05 AM
I went to the ND/UCLA game and I loved the fact that they won but they are not that great. They had a hard time running the ball and the defense was suspect at times.

Lakey Vandy would not beat UofL. I think U of K can beat Vandy but it will be close. I think they are about at the same level. U of K would play U of L better today than they did the first game but UL would still beat them badly. Just my opinion

Leroy
11-04-2006, 01:15 AM
Watching the game, I would say UofL deserves it. You can't live in the could of/should of/refs were one sided rationalization.

You win it, you deserve.....man law!

You loose it don't try to whimper out.....man law!

LakePirate
11-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Haterade drinker eh? :)

Won't even watch Rudy.

P-hat_in_Cincy
11-04-2006, 10:04 AM
Won't even watch Rudy.

ROFLMAO. You get a STAR!

:D

captain planet
11-06-2006, 10:04 AM
Better give me your address so I can send the crow now. I want it to be fresh Monday......:uglyhamme
You want YOUR crow broiled or fried?8p 8p Louisville #3 Florida #4.

"This is Mr. Conductor talking here, I know what I'm talking about". - George Carlin.

kycat2007
11-06-2006, 10:32 AM
I do not see UofL messing this up. If they win out then they will play for the title.

Lakey what happened to your boys this weekend?

Things are looking up for U of K. With the win over UGA this weekend Brooks has his signature win and will probably go bowling this year. I have to say that he will probably retain his job with that win.

LakePirate
11-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Ainge tried to play but was too injured to do so.

Word on the street is that Ainge twisted his other ankle as well.
The defense was hitting him every play and going after the ankle, can't blame them.

Lost with the back up. Not too upset, we didn't play bad, just didn't have the full package to throw at LSU.

Look at ya Beating Georgia.

trickskier
11-06-2006, 10:57 AM
I do not see UofL messing this up. If they win out then they will play for the title.

Louisville played one of the best games Thursday night I've seen this year. I still believe (as do most of the sports announcers on ESPN and all the major networks) that a 1 loss team will leap frog Louisville in the final BCS Poll. A lot of football yet to be played, and this Thursday night will be another good game between Louisville and Rutgers.

kycat2007
11-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Strength of schedules will come into play and that will hurt many of the teams. If an SEC team has one loss and plays in the SEC champ. game they could have a chance because the would help the SOS. I do not see it happening here though. I think UL is in the Championship game but I think they get it handed to them in that game.

Hoff1
11-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Things are looking up for U of K. With the win over UGA this weekend Brooks has his signature win and will probably go bowling this year. I have to say that he will probably retain his job with that win.

Maybe they'll tear down another goal post for beating Vandy. Not too many schools get that excited to beat a team that's unranked and is 6-3. Even though it took 15 minutes to tear it down - guess we don't have much experience in that category.

kycat2007
11-06-2006, 03:46 PM
I think that the last time they beat GA was in 96. I think KY is looking for any sign of improvement. I think that is a GA win but man I would love to beat a Florida, LSU, or TN. This will probably allow them to go Bowling.
The big question is now what will they expect for Brooks next year. I think he has to get to a bowl next year again and compete in every game in the SEC. Not winning the all the big games but competing against the big boys.

Hoff1
11-06-2006, 03:57 PM
I think UK will give him a few more years. Coming off of probation is tough for any coach. But, consective 2-9 seasons followed by a 3-8 will put your head on a chopping block. A bowl this year would be much appreciated.

Archimedes
11-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Louisville seems to be lining up to be the reincarnation of the 04 Cal Bears. Beat up on a lot of marginal teams, politic for a top bowl, finally get a good opponent in their bowl game and then get spanked.

Louisville's a good team, no doubt, but they're not top 5 and if they were to line up against the top 5 teams they probably would lose 9 out of 10 times. As much as I like to see the David's challenge the Goliath's, I'd like to see them prove it in the regular season before we get to waste the national championship game watching someone like OSU walk all over them. It'd be nice if the the title game were really a good game rather than a blowout.

What really cracks me up are the sportswriters saying 'now if they go in and beat Rutgers, then they've really proven something...'. Oh yeah, those Scarlet Knights, what a dynasty they've built there... What a validating win it would be to beat Rutgers. Maybe they could squeeze Hofstra in there before the season's over just as icing on the cake.

Just a reminder that 'vaunted' #3 West Virginia team they just beat had played the following 'powerhouses' this season: Marshall, Eastern Washington, Maryland, East Carolina, Mississippi State, Syracuse and Connecticut. The DeVry Institute must not have had an opening on their schedule.

Hoff1
11-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Very well said. Any ranking system is flawed because it's opinion based off of how good your opponents are and how well you played against them. Since everyone plays different teams at different point in their season, it's all guesswork when you get down to the top teams.

trickskier
11-06-2006, 06:01 PM
It's way to early to say who's going to be in the National Championship Game. A lot of football left to be played and anything can happen. To my point; who would have bet on Kentucky beating Georgia at the begining of the season, or would have taken KY and points last week?

Chief
11-06-2006, 06:05 PM
It's way to early to say who's going to be in the National Championship Game. A lot of football left to be played and anything can happen. To my point; who would have bet on Kentucky beating Georgia at the begining of the season, or would have taken KY and points last week?

Wade's prediction: All top eight teams drop two, count them two! ND slides to the top and beat's Boise St. for the title. It think my crack pipe is cooling! :)

GO IRISH!

trickskier
11-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Wade's prediction: All top eight teams drop two, count them two! ND slides to the top and beat's Boise St. for the title. It think my crack pipe is cooling! :)

GO IRISH!

Keep Dreaming!!! :noface:

Chief
11-06-2006, 06:14 PM
Keep Dreaming!!! :noface:

FL is going to be the Georiga this weekend! :D :D :D

GO COCKS!

kycat2007
11-06-2006, 06:56 PM
I am not a UL fan but I think you are wrong about the scheduling. UL has tried to schedule SEC teams and the only one besides UK that has said yes was Georgia and that starts 2010. Remember they did beat Miami earlier this year as well. Vandy had them on the schedule but backed out. The cupcakes that are on the schedule are in the Big East but Miami wasn't supposed to be a bad team this year. When they beat Florida State a few years back they weren't supposed to be a bad team. This year UL has done what it takes to be there. They moved up the ranks and beat a Miami team that normally would have crushed them. They beat West V. who has a top rated offense and ranked top 5. They have one more tough team to play and a decent Pitt team. I guess if people will not schedule them then they will have to do what they will on the field to prove their worth.

Archimedes
11-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Not saying it's their fault, just questioning the ranking. Not sure how West Virginia could ever be ranked 3rd given, before Louisville, they hadn't even PLAYED a team that was ranked in the top 25. I think only one of those teams even had ANY votes at all. WVU was/is overrated and UL just hasn't proven it's a top 5 team, IMO. Every year there is a team or two (usually a WAC team) that runs the table on a bunch of weak teams and argues for a ranking. This year, for some reason, WVU and Louisville, seem to have gotten a higher ranking than those types of teams in years past.

trickskier
11-06-2006, 08:49 PM
FL is going to be the Georiga this weekend! :D :D :D

GO COCKS!

NOT IN THE SWAMP BABY!!! NOT IN THE SWAMP!!!

trickskier
11-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Remember they did beat Miami earlier this year as well.

Miami who??? Where were they ranked when Louisville beat them? Bottom 25???

kycat2007
11-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Ok here is the Rivals top 25 preseason.
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=502125
Miami is ranked 10th preseason. Is this to be argued without a game played?
In Athlon's Magazine Miami is ranked 14th. Is this argued?
http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football/8701/preseason-top-25

ESPN had Miami ranked 12th preseason any argument?
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankings?pollId=1&weekNumber=1&seasonYear=2006

Ok they get beat by Florida St. the first week of play and fall to 17th in the polls. From that point Florida St was at 9th in the polls. I think that is a good first game of the year. Lower top 20 for a team that is viewed as a national power most years.

If this Louisville team was Miami, no question about the ranking.

LakePirate
11-10-2006, 03:56 PM
Nope.

Rutgers shouldn't be either.

loeweb
11-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Nope.

Rutgers shouldn't be either.

AMEN brother

loeweb
11-10-2006, 04:04 PM
If this Louisville team was Miami, no question about the ranking.

If if's and but's were candy and nuts christmas would be year round

If the dog wouldn't have stopped to lick his ball$ he would have caught the rabbit.

Give Louisville some time to prove themselves. Good teams don't get respect overnight, they earn it season in and season out, and it always takes longer for a team to fall out of favor than it should for this reason. People still want them to be good, and it's usually a season or two later than it should be for them to be considered average again.

Look at Nebraska after their title run, and Oklahoma same deal.

trickskier
11-10-2006, 06:04 PM

I DON'T THINK SO......

kycat2007
11-11-2006, 12:37 AM
The key word in my statement was if they win out. They did not so the only opportunity they had is gone. Florida in my opinion has always been the tops in the SEC. But I know that they will not schedule UofL for a regular home and home games. Wonder why? I think UL has asked but no takers. Right now it looks like UK is the only one. Vandy canceled and Georgia is starting home and home in 2010. Where is the Gators and why would they not schedule UofL?

They had to win out they didn't. They will be ranked in the mod teens after Sunday. Now the question is if Rutgers wins out how long will their coach stay and what is their rank?

trickskier
11-11-2006, 09:30 AM
Florida in my opinion has always been the tops in the SEC. But I know that they will not schedule UofL for a regular home and home games. Wonder why?Where is the Gators and why would they not schedule UofL?

They say the reason they do not schedule home & home games as you are reffering to is because of $$MONEY$$. Imagine that! They say they need the revenue from home games. I disagree, and think they would make more money for a televised game against a better opponent like Louisville. The Gators are playing Western Carolina next week and it will be on PPV. You can't tell me that they will make more money on that home game than they would if they were playing a team like Louisville on national television. So I agree with you and wish they would play stronger opponents.

kycat2007
11-11-2006, 11:05 AM
I agree how many people will actually pay to see a that Pay Per View event. Hey I feel like I am being pulled over to a UL fan side by spouting this verbage. I like UK and just thought it interesting about UL's situation.

Maristar210
11-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Okay then how far should the 'ville fall in the polls????

CHIME IN

Archimedes
11-11-2006, 12:05 PM
Rutgers 10, Louisville 15. After watching that game, I still don't see how anyone can justify that either of those teams are top 10 teams. I think Texas Tech could beat them.

IMO, all that matters now is how bad OSU beats Michigan. If it's bad, we probably see an OSU/Texas rematch. If it's close, OSU/Michigan. Same if Michigan happens to upset OSU, which I just don't see happening. I think the Wolverines are good this year, but I'm still not convinced they're the #2 team. But at least they have the chance to prove it. I like Florida too, but I'd still drop them behind Texas. The underranked team in the mix, IMO, is the one I love to hate, USC. I watched them lose 10 days ago and couldn't help but think I was watching a team that must've run over karma's dog and was paying for it with the worst luck imaginable from kickoff to gun.

trickskier
11-12-2006, 08:53 AM
Okay then how far should the 'ville fall in the polls????

CHIME IN

Louisville will fall to somehere in the teens.

trickskier
11-12-2006, 09:03 AM
IMO, all that matters now is how bad OSU beats Michigan. If it's bad, we probably see an OSU/Texas rematch. I like Florida too, but I'd still drop them behind Texas.

Well there goes that prediction.......The Gators aren't playing well, but they are playing well enough to win. If they win their next 2 games and the SEC Championship game they deserve a shot at the National Championship Game.......GO GATORS!!!:dance:

TMCNo1
11-12-2006, 09:26 AM
Wake Forest University shut out Florida State yesterday 30 to 0. Wake is white this morning with toilet paper in the trees. Now university officials say they have a problem on campus, nobody can use the restrooms anywhere to go #2!

trickskier
11-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Wake Forest University shut out Florida State yesterday 30 to 0. Wake is white this morning with toilet paper in the trees. Now university officials say they have a problem on campus, nobody can use the restrooms anywhere to go #2!

Great win for Wake Forest and Riley Skinner from Jax.....As for the bathroom issue.....Go behind a tree! The toliet paper is already hanging! :eek3:

TMCNo1
11-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Great win for Wake Forest and Riley Skinner from Jax.....As for the bathroom issue.....Go behind a tree! The toilet paper is already hanging! :eek3:

Good one! You got a point, but that leads to another problem,...........................nevermind, it's their problem!

Sorry for the threadjack, should have been in another thread?

kycat2007
11-13-2006, 11:46 AM
So UL drops to 10 in the polls and Texas loses there second game of the season to a Kansas State team.

Well in today's Courier journal it tells UL to go out and play some away games and not worry about the home and home. I wonder if the Michigans, Floridas, and Ohio States of the college world would schedule them that way?

LakePirate
11-13-2006, 12:12 PM
Here is something to think about B-Rad

Bobby Petrino gets an offer to go to say Nebraska. Does he stay and fight the good fight or take the money and run? My guess is Welcome to Lincoln Coach Petrino. Now Florida/Tennessee/tosu/um have scheduled U of L in a 2 year home away series. U of L can't bust a grape since the departure of Petrino. The usual suspects lose strength of schedule points and slaughter U of L. Just a scenario.

Not that I ever agree with ESPN but one of the talking heads said that for some reason the pollsters have a love affair with history. Look at how bad Oklahoma, Nebraska, Miami had to become to fall out of the top 25. But with a couple of wins jump right back in. Getting in the top 10 is harder than staying there for up and coming programs. On top of that their head coaches usually get picked up at the bigger, more established programs. Thus making it difficult for teams to schedule them 5 and 6 years out as most schedules are done now a days.

kycat2007
11-13-2006, 12:44 PM
Petrino gets $25.5 million extension
10-year deal puts U of L coach among best-paid

By Eric Crawford
ecrawford@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal

University of Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich does not expect suitors to stop pursuing football coach Bobby Petrino despite the 10-year contract worth at least $25.5million the coach signed yesterday.

I would say that the NFL is the only one that will go after him.