PDA

View Full Version : 1998 200VRS Corvette LT-1 ... Uneven Cooling after Engine Replacement

procamp
11-02-2006, 10:11 PM
All you MC gurus...Help! OK, here's the long and short of it. After learning that my heating elements did not keep the engine safe through our first winter in PA, I have now replaced my LT-1.

I went out to test drive the boat the other day after the jacka$$es at Lighthouse Marina on Lake Wallenpaupack took 3 months to get the 7-10 day job done....but I digress. Never take your boat there.

Anyway, I had to replace the engine, the cracked exhaust risers, water pump, a thermostat, and a temp sensor. When I test drove the boat the oil psi held steady at about 65 psi (should be 60 I believe), and the engine temp maintained itself at about 175 to 178 (should be 160). I've had the boat for over 5 years, and it has always run at 60 & 160. Also, and more worrying, I opened the hatch several times during the 25 minutes as I was smeeling something funny underway. The mechanic aboard said it was probably just the new pain burning off the the new engine. I knelt on the back seat facing the engine, nd reached into the engine and felt the exhaust risers...the one I touched w/ my left hand (boats starboard side) felt like the hot risers I remember. Not hot enough not to be able to touch, but hot enough not to leave your hand there long! The port side riser was room temperature...I mean cold. It was about 60 degrees outside that day. You couldn't even feel ANY heat. I checked it several times, and the only time I felt any heat was after we pulled back up to the dock to park. However, the temp difference between the two had to be close to 100 degrees or more.

What do you guys think about the smell, and the diagnosis of the temp difference? I have to call those JA's tomorrow again to see "what they haven't found out yet".

Thanks in advance,

Bill

erkoehler
11-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Smell was PROBABLY normal....but, without being there can't be sure. Most "new" boats have a burning smell the first time or two out.

Chief
11-02-2006, 10:39 PM
All you MC gurus...Help! OK, here's the long and short of it. After learning that my heating elements did not keep the engine safe through our first winter in PA, I have now replaced my LT-1.

I went out to test drive the boat the other day after the jacka$$es at Lighthouse Marina on Lake Wallenpaupack took 3 months to get the 7-10 day job done....but I digress. Never take your boat there.

Anyway, I had to replace the engine, the cracked exhaust risers, water pump, a thermostat, and a temp sensor. When I test drove the boat the oil psi held steady at about 65 psi (should be 60 I believe), and the engine temp maintained itself at about 175 to 178 (should be 160). I've had the boat for over 5 years, and it has always run at 60 & 160. Also, and more worrying, I opened the hatch several times during the 25 minutes as I was smeeling something funny underway. The mechanic aboard said it was probably just the new pain burning off the the new engine. I knelt on the back seat facing the engine, nd reached into the engine and felt the exhaust risers...the one I touched w/ my left hand (boats starboard side) felt like the hot risers I remember. Not hot enough not to be able to touch, but hot enough not to leave your hand there long! The port side riser was room temperature...I mean cold. It was about 60 degrees outside that day. You couldn't even feel ANY heat. I checked it several times, and the only time I felt any heat was after we pulled back up to the dock to park. However, the temp difference between the two had to be close to 100 degrees or more.

What do you guys think about the smell, and the diagnosis of the temp difference? I have to call those JA's tomorrow again to see "what they haven't found out yet".

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Check for even discharge of water from each exhaust while flushing. Also check to see if a 160 degree thermostat was installed. Closed Loop cooling installed? Burning smell was most likely the paint at the bottom of the exhaust manifolds.

dmayer84
11-02-2006, 10:44 PM

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Never go to light house harbour, we had to get the throttle control box replaced on my parents sea ray and they had no clue what to do. If they dont know I/O's that are 95% of their business I wouldnt trust them with my MC. Sterling Marina I have found to be very helpful to me so far. Except the one problem that I had but that was because I didnt speak to a mechanic there.

procamp
11-02-2006, 11:05 PM
Check for even discharge of water from each exhaust while flushing. Also check to see if a 160 degree thermostat was installed. Closed Loop cooling installed? Burning smell was most likely the paint at the bottom of the exhaust manifolds.

It is not a closed loop system, and I think they might have put the wrong t-stat on. Big surprise....

Chief
11-03-2006, 08:46 PM
It is not a closed loop system, and I think they might have put the wrong t-stat on. Big surprise....
Giving the history here it might be better to take the boat to someone else. Sometimes it's best to cut your losses and run. I'm sure if you take the boat straight to another dealer and have him check it out you can still keep the other guy on the hook. Good luck

procamp
11-04-2006, 05:51 AM
Thanks guys....

Jerseydave
11-04-2006, 08:04 AM
I agree with Dmeyer......try Sterling marina, they're great guys up there. I don't think your temp should be above 160 with that cold lake water this time of year.

Jerseydave
11-04-2006, 08:04 AM
I agree with Dmeyer......try Sterling marina, they're great guys up there. I don't think your temp should be above 160 with that cold lake water this time of year.

procamp
11-04-2006, 02:24 PM
Yes...I agree. I drove over there after the test drive and talked to Bill (a mechanic). Awesome MC vessels everywhere, obviously trusted 1000% more than the JA's at Lighthouse.

Just another reason not to go to Lighthouse Marina...they couldn't find an LT-1 fast enough for me, told me it was going to be 6 weeks through Indmar. I called Precision Engine in Houston, and ordered one to be built within 10 minutes. It was delivered 10 days later. WHEN I SAW MY INVOICE FOR THE FIRST TIME THREE MONTHS LATER...THEY HAD MARKED UP THE ENGINE I FOUND FOR THEM $550.00.

When I confronted Ingrid and Erik up there about it, they were belligerent and just screamed "So what...that's what we do."

No surprise that you don't see any MC's over there......

Jim@BAWS
11-04-2006, 04:05 PM
STERLING MARINA
P.O. Box 195
Greentown, PA,18426

Telephone: (570) 689-4205
Fax: (570) 689-9205

redwards@sterlingmarina.com
http://sterlingmarina.maste...

This dealership just won a customer service award at dealer
meeting...they must be doing something right.
They are the LOCAL MC dealer in your area. Lake WALLY WHAT

Jim@BAWS Tampa Fl