PDA

View Full Version : those with Oneil vest, inside please

DooSPX
11-02-2006, 07:55 PM
I am looking to buy a new Oneill vest, but I want a thin (allows for perfect form) and is flexible, but MOST IMPORTANTLY, I want one that will NOT ride up when floating in the water.
perferably a USCG approved vest, but doesnt have to be.
5'9 185 lbs

SKI*MC
11-02-2006, 09:07 PM
i have the outlaw and i hate it, the flotation bunches up soo bad in it. I am getting the jet pilot A-10 i thik its called. Its thin, and has smaller arm holes. I would recomend looking at this one.

erkoehler
11-02-2006, 09:10 PM
We have quite a few "thin" vests at Chicago MasterCraft....I'll have to check which ones are USCGA.

kpickett
11-02-2006, 09:34 PM
I have the Oneil Vapor Comp vest. It is awesome. It's thin, with big armholes. It's a pullover with short back zipper. It's glideskin, so you almost feel like you're not wearing a vest on starts. It's not USCG approved, but it floats you just fine. I highly recommend it. I picked it up on sale for around 80 bucks.

I'm 5'8" and weigh 150. The medium is perfect for me.

H20skeefreek
11-03-2006, 07:45 AM
I have an Oneill Boost. It's awesome. Lots of flexibility, really allows you to get those arms down and get the handle to your hip. It offers very little floatation though. Got it for around 50 bucks on Sierra Trading Post.

Sodar
11-03-2006, 08:17 AM
I too have the Oneill Vapor... it is by far the most comfortable vest I have owned yet. The only issue I had with it was learning how to get the thing on and off... I was trying to pull it off like my wetsuit top, but in the vest's instructions, it says you should shove one arm down the vest and pull it off that way. Once I learned that little tip I was good to go!

kpickett
11-03-2006, 01:29 PM
I too have the Oneill Vapor... it is by far the most comfortable vest I have owned yet. The only issue I had with it was learning how to get the thing on and off... I was trying to pull it off like my wetsuit top, but in the vest's instructions, it says you should shove one arm down the vest and pull it off that way. Once I learned that little tip I was good to go!

I second SodarSki's comment about getting the vest off. It's impossible to pull over your head, but if you shove one arm down the vest, you can get it right off.

I love the vest. My only complaint is that it's hard to wear a pullover model over a wetsuit, because the neoprene doesn't slide easily over neoprene. I sometimes wear my old Neilpryde zip vest when I have to wear my fullsuit.

bigpack20
11-03-2006, 01:40 PM
I have a jet pilot it is great. It has a side zipper and it goes over your head it does not ride up. Some Jet Pilot are USCGA and some are not the Jet Pilot A-10 is not USCGA. You can find the jet pilot on ebay and you can get them at a good price.

88 PS190
11-03-2006, 01:55 PM
I love my outlaw. I do not agree with the back bunching up... at all. There's hardly anything back there how would it bunch up???

Its a slalom vest, the Law is the USCG version, which adds more thickness through the back and parts of the chest for extra float. I don't think its needed my outlaw keeps me up equally in the water.

The A-10 is a wakeboard vest, and you'll find the stitched seams on the arm holes will chafe you if you slalom in it.

east tx skier
11-03-2006, 02:26 PM
I'll recommend the HO Corse vest. Looks similar to the Phantom I've used for several seasons. Meets every qualification you mentioned except the USCG approved part. It will float you, but doesn't float up on you. Getting it on and off is a breeze. I will buy the Corse if/when my phantom gives out (hopefully no time soon).

DooSPX
11-03-2006, 06:45 PM
thanks guys, Im going on sunday to performance ski to try on some comp vest

DooSPX
11-03-2006, 06:47 PM
im looking for one that doesnt ride up, and makes starts feel easier

Archimedes
11-03-2006, 06:56 PM
I love my outlaw. I do not agree with the back bunching up... at all. There's hardly anything back there how would it bunch up???

Same here. Love the Outlaw and it doesn't ride up or bunch at all, but I wear my vests very tight.

I always use the Outlaw unless the lake nazis are around. Then I use my Law, which is also a great vest. Very light and big arm holes.

The other benefit of ONeill's are that they last for freakin ever.

ted shred
11-03-2006, 09:33 PM
I have been using the outlaw for years. Great vest. I also like mine very tight,once it is wet it's perfect. A vest that rides up usually means it is too big for the wearer.

DooSPX
11-05-2006, 08:45 PM
well, I picked up a blue 06 model outlaw today. I love it. I was going to get red to match my vegeance, but someone bought it in front of me. oh well, the blue matches my Prostar. LOL
thanks guys for your help!

88 PS190
11-06-2006, 12:14 AM
I've never been stopped on our lake... ever for anything, I see the police maybe once a summer.

Then I don't expect the po pos to recognize a USCG from a NON-USCG vest at a glance anyway. It doesn't say "outlaw" on the outside.

Orange X-7
11-06-2006, 12:38 AM
Not sure which model I have it is USCG approved.
I like it,nice and thin,big arm holes,four buckles does not ride up.

bigmac
11-06-2006, 07:46 AM
I always use the Outlaw unless the lake nazis are around. Then I use my Law, which is also a great vest. Very light and big arm holes.

I've been using an Oneill Law and have been very pleased. I need/want the extra flotation over a comp vest for hydrofoiling.

In Minnesota, a skier doesn't have to wear flotation at all, just have a USCG vest somewhere in the boat for him/her.

JKTX21
11-06-2006, 09:40 AM
I have an Outlaw, I really like it, but I am seeking a USGC vest. Some times when I fall it seems like it takes a moment to surface.

Also, with the bunching up, I've noticed zipping up and buckling your jacket when not in use helps, versus just throwing it in the storage.

Sodar
02-08-2010, 11:17 AM

My Vapor has seen better days after 4 seasons. It looks like they have replaced the Vapor with 2 options.... the Checkmate or the Revenge. The Checkmate is a little too over the top for me and I really like the look of the Revenge. Does anyone have a Revenge?

tex
02-08-2010, 11:40 AM
I don't wear vests...I like the full blazer look!

DooSPX
02-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Dang Cameron, You brought this back from the dead didn't you? LOL

its all good, I hope someone knows the answer to your question. :D

Sodar
02-08-2010, 12:24 PM
I thought I would heed my own advice and search for once.

vision
02-08-2010, 01:15 PM
I would suggest the LF Watson/Manifesto CGA or the Helium Swat CGA. Both are quite flexible and light and do not ride up.

D3skier
02-08-2010, 02:39 PM
I've really enjoyed my Eagle vest. It's very snug fit and non-cga approved but you don't even realize you're wearing a vest when skiing.

east tx skier
02-08-2010, 03:11 PM
One season in an O'Neill Boost. It's been a good vest. A lot like my old HO Phantom (that Corse vest never shipped from HO).

TonyB
02-08-2010, 06:49 PM
I have the O'neill outlaw as well. I know not of this "bunching" you speak of.

The Outlaw is the preferred vest by all non-law abiding water sports enthusiast.