PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my boat to fully dry out for storage?

suedv
11-02-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm the self-anointed boat clean freak of our family. My boat doesn't have to be new, but it has to look good and smell clean. Musty stuff makes me cough and I can't stand a mess. I donít want to be the owner of an embarrassing boat.

We probably will go out for one more ski outing this year then winterize it. I know that the boat will get some water in it from wetsuits. It is cold and damp enough outside that it take forever to dry out after it gets wet. How do I get it to dry quickly so we can pack it away and not end up with mold?

Footin
11-02-2006, 08:10 PM
Put a fan inside the boat overnight, or like I did, mount a ceiling fan in the garage over the boat. It drys it out pretty fast.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
11-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Use a fan and let it run several days if need be. those big box fans work well. THats what we use to dry out carpeting in cars when we shampoo them. They are usually dry in the morning. I have one mounted on the wall of my garage pointing down into the boat, so the boat is dried after every use. works like a charm!:)

erkoehler
11-02-2006, 09:07 PM
Is the boat stored indoors? I'd also suggest putting some moisture absorbent packs in the boat under the cover.

bigpack20
11-03-2006, 11:55 AM
I use fans in my boat. it is stored in the garage and it works great.

bigmac
11-03-2006, 12:22 PM
Couple of these Dry Wave's (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=71503&fcat=)for a few days - one in the bilge, one under the cover.

http://www.overtons.com/graphics/products/medium/71503M.jpg

I leave one on in my boat running 24/7 while in storage all winter.

Archimedes
11-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Is the boat stored indoors? I'd also suggest putting some moisture absorbent packs in the boat under the cover.

Indoors - cover?

Who covers their boat indoors?

bigmac
11-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Indoors - cover?

I do, for one. In fact, the only time I ever cover it is in my storage building during winter storage.

bcampbe7
11-03-2006, 12:40 PM
Indoors - cover?

Guilty... :wavey:

My boat lives in my garage year round. After I winterize the cover goes on with the boat in the garage. Keeps the dust from getting in the boat. :D

Laurel_Lake_Skier
11-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Indoors - cover?

Putting the cover on is always the last step in winterization when packing the boat away for the winter. Even in the closed garage, it is surprising how much dust and debris collects on the cover.

Archimedes
11-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Guilty... :wavey:

My boat lives in my garage year round. After I winterize the cover goes on with the boat in the garage. Keeps the dust from getting in the boat. :D

But it also traps any moisture that's in there. Plus I can't go more than a day or two without looking at my boat. Then again, mine's in my garage. If I had it stored offsite, I'd probably cover it too.

bcampbe7
11-03-2006, 01:24 PM
But it also traps any moisture that's in there. Plus I can't go more than a day or two without looking at my boat. Then again, mine's in my garage. If I had it stored offsite, I'd probably cover it too.

I take out all of the seats and run a fan on the boat after every use.

I try to be certain it is dry before I throw the cover on for the winter. I also uncover it preiodically to make sure everything is OK, and to sit in it as I dream about Summer.

suedv
11-03-2006, 01:26 PM

It is outdoors in our driveway until we store it for the winter. I've put a fan in it under the cover, but it still takes a long time to dry. When I've opened the cover so it can dry for the day it gets full of oak leaves and then I have to clean them out. Besides when the leaves get in the boat they cover the carpet and keep the mositure in. Rick has a couple of light bulbs in the engine compartment that he turns on at night so that stays warm and doesn't freeze, but that doesn't do anything for getting the boat dry.

Is there a specific brand of moisture abosrbent pack I should look for? Are they a one time use kind of thing? Are they something you can leave in for a long time period? Are they something I can get at a local boat supply kind of place. I don't really want to drive all the way out to our MC dealer if they are something commonly available.

We pretty much just want to get one more ski outing before winterizing. The air temperature is supposed to get back up into the 50 degree range this weekend and next week.

Sorry I'm so full of questions.

suedv
11-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Couple of these Dry Wave's (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=71503&fcat=)for a few days - one in the bilge, one under the cover.

Is this something commonly available too? Maybe I can look at both this and the moisture abosrbing packets while I'm out shopping.

McFire
11-03-2006, 02:07 PM
I'm the self-anointed boat clean freak of our family. My boat doesn't have to be new, but it has to look good and smell clean. Musty stuff makes me cough and I can't stand a mess. I donít want to be the owner of an embarrassing boat.

We probably will go out for one more ski outing this year then winterize it. I know that the boat will get some water in it from wetsuits. It is cold and damp enough outside that it take forever to dry out after it gets wet. How do I get it to dry quickly so we can pack it away and not end up with mold?
I have used my indoor dehumidifier under the cover a few times this season. I run the drain hose through the bilge drain hole. It allows me to dry out the boat and still keep it covered. So far it has worked well.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
11-03-2006, 02:11 PM
I dont cover mine. its in a new garage that is closed up all winter. It wasnt dusty when I took it out last spring, so I wont cover it again this year. I like the air to be able to keep it from getting musty. I take out all the seats, prop up the engine cover a few inches with a couple of blocks, bounce sheets, and mouse traps. along with a yooper mouse trap on the floor alongside hte trailer. thats how I will do it. I clean my bote in the spring anyway, so I cant see where dust would be a problem anyway.....

east tx skier
11-03-2006, 02:16 PM
You can get box fans that run on batteries, which is what we use. I, too, cover the boat in the garage to keep out the dust.

As for smelling good, if that's your goal (and since, as you mentioned, it'll be wet anyway), I'd suggest this. Mix some Tide (no bleach) in a bucket with warm water and apply it to the carpet with a brush. Run the boat over to the car was and spray the carpets really well with the wand on the rinse setting (wash the soap into the bilge). When you get home, hit the carpet really well with a wet/dry shop vac. Let it dry as much as you can, then go for the fan/humidity absorber whathaveyou. It will smell wonderful.

M-Funf
11-03-2006, 02:22 PM

sweet little device! Does it plug into a wall outlet, or is it DC powered? Overton's doesn't say...

edit: Never mind...I checked the manufacturers website, and they say it plugs in. They also have a smaller, less expensive one...

http://www.ironwoodpacific.com/images/Products/DryWave/DryWave%20100%20Image.jpg
Ironwood Pacific (http://www.ironwoodpacific.com/products/maintenance/drywave.htm)

east tx skier
11-03-2006, 02:38 PM
I dont cover mine. its in a new garage that is closed up all winter. It wasnt dusty when I took it out last spring, so I wont cover it again this year. I like the air to be able to keep it from getting musty. I take out all the seats, prop up the engine cover a few inches with a couple of blocks, bounce sheets, and mouse traps. along with a yooper mouse trap on the floor alongside hte trailer. thats how I will do it. I clean my bote in the spring anyway, so I cant see where dust would be a problem anyway.....

Sunbrella breathes. As long as it's dry when you put the cover on, it'll be alright. Good luck getting the dust out of those guages come Spring. :o

bigmac
11-03-2006, 03:25 PM

Those heater/fans like the Dry Wave or Turbo Dryer prevent that. Move a little air, warm it to above dew point. No problem.

loeweb
11-03-2006, 03:39 PM
I have seen two places where the boat owners have mounted a box fan in the ceiling joists as previously mentioned. Don't know if it will work as well this time of year as in the summer, but they each pull the doghouse out of the boat as soon as they get back and blow the fan over the warm engine to help dry out the boat. As I said, this works great when the air temp is around 65-95, but I don't know about 50 and below. Might be worth a shot.

Leroy
11-03-2006, 06:41 PM
I back in the garage and leave the cover off. Seems to dry it out in couple days at most. If very wet I have a fan I place in.

WTRSK1R
11-04-2006, 10:13 AM
I always cover mine for the winter. It is amazing how much dust is floating around the garage. My boat is sitting in the garage right next to the cars, so I get to look longingly at it all winter, but I still keep the cover on it until spring.

Its only been a week since I winterized and I think I am already going into withdrawl.:cry:

Steve