PDA

View Full Version : In regards to a new boat...

ColesX
11-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Hello, everyone, I just signed up for the forums because my 2001 X-Star was deemed totaled last week. It was resting comfortably in the boathouse and two weeks later we came back to find it underwater up to the steering wheel.

Anyway, we've just recieved the insurance money and I was wondering how similar the X-1 was to the X-Star. I know they are the same hull, but I was recently in a friends' X-2 and disliked the cruise control system. If anyone has any information regarding some of the differences between the outgoing 2001 X-Star and the new X-1 I'd love to get some feedbank. I'd show you pictures of the totaled boat, but who needs to see it.

6ballsisall
11-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Dude, post pics!!!

ColesX
11-02-2006, 07:54 PM
Edit: Camera is out of batteries. Gotta charge them.

Archimedes
11-02-2006, 08:01 PM
I thought that year X-star was basically the same boat as the current X-1, assuming you option them out similarly. Not sure what you mean about the cruise control but I think the MC digital speed control in my 06 is awesome.

My guess is the current X-1 is just an improved version of your older X-Star, again assuming you get similar options.

I've only got 30 hours on mine, but I love it so far.

ColesX
11-02-2006, 08:05 PM
I thought that year X-star was basically the same boat as the current X-1, assuming you option them out similarly. Not sure what you mean about the cruise control but I think the MC digital speed control in my 06 is awesome.

My guess is the current X-1 is just an improved version of your older X-Star, again assuming you get similar options.

I've only got 30 hours on mine, but I love it so far.

Yeah, but for wakeboarding it was a little more of a PITA to get working, from his experience. Do you know what they're offering as far as ballast and stereo?

Archimedes
11-02-2006, 08:07 PM
Yeah, but for wakeboarding it was a little more of a PITA to get working, from his experience. Do you know what they're offering as far as ballast and stereo?

My 06 came standard with the 2 rear ballast and also had the optional center ballast (which every boat at every dealer I shopped had). I have no trouble with the DSC holding speed when wakeboarding, except when we've been in some biggish chop.

Stereo is optional in an X-1 ($1,600 last year) and in 06 it was a Clarion CDM4 head unit with 4 JL Audio speakers. I think it sounds great. Tower speakers are optional and priced at prostate exam levels.

Oh the other negative is board racks are not standard and I understand the swivel board racks are $2,200 this year.

André
11-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Hello, everyone, I just signed up for the forums because my 2001 X-Star was deemed totaled last week. It was resting comfortably in the boathouse and two weeks later we came back to find it underwater up to the steering wheel... I'd show you pictures of the totaled boat, but who needs to see it.
Probably The Malibu Crew and Planet Nautique guys...;)

ColesX
11-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Alright, here's a little short clip of the wreckage. Note it's IN the boathouse.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r170/hyrwakejumpr/th_boat2.jpg (http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r170/hyrwakejumpr/?action=view&current=boat2.flv)

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r170/hyrwakejumpr/th_boat1.jpg (http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r170/hyrwakejumpr/?action=view&current=boat1.flv)

Edit: Another clip.

SD190EVO
11-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Can you share what the cause was? Might help someone prevent a future accident?

ColesX
11-02-2006, 08:33 PM
As far as the "autopsy" has shown, there was a small leak through the ballast system. But not to worry folks, it was entirely aftermarket. I've been running two 550's in the back and a 250 in the middle for like five years, but I installed them in place of the stock system...so all the dash switches worked, etc. We're guessing that the seals were shot and were letting water in at a relatively quick pace. Anyhow, the Auto bilge did what it could, but we were gone over two weeks, and the battery had long died upon our return.

erkoehler
11-02-2006, 09:47 PM
ColesX....If your going to go with the X-1, I'd suggest getting the tower speakers as part of the original boat deal if your ever going to want them, PP is awesome, MCX is great especially if your going to add extra ballast, swivel board racks are not even an option for me any more......if you have anymore questions just ask :)

Footin
11-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Erkle will set you up.

ColesX
11-02-2006, 10:00 PM
ColesX....If your going to go with the X-1, I'd suggest getting the tower speakers as part of the original boat deal if your ever going to want them, PP is awesome, MCX is great especially if your going to add extra ballast, swivel board racks are not even an option for me any more......if you have anymore questions just ask :)

How do you mean part of the original boat deal? I will definitely be investing in them.

Archimedes
11-02-2006, 10:06 PM
How do you mean part of the original boat deal? I will definitely be investing in them.

He means there's less vaseline involved if you wrap them in the original boat purchase rather than adding them later. :D

Chief
11-02-2006, 10:51 PM

Buy boat back from insurance company for a cheap price and restore over the winter?