PDA

View Full Version : Fogging Oil

Jwhitsett1129
11-02-2006, 12:10 PM
When fogging a carbureted engine do you just spray fogging oil directly into the carb??

east tx skier
11-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Yes. Spray directly into throat of carb (from the top).

vogelm1
11-02-2006, 12:39 PM
When fogging a carbureted engine do you just spray fogging oil directly into the carb??

Yep, directly in...and you probably are aware already, but helps to have the engine at a slight 'high idle' so that enough gets sucked in. Look for the white exhaust smoke, bring back to idle, shut everything down, and you're good.

goyo.miller
10-08-2007, 11:28 AM
I have a 2001 5.7L with the Northstar ignition, fuel injection. I'm wondering where the fogging oil goes. There is a standard tire valve at the top drivers side of the motor, is this where fogging oil attaches? Or is it preferred to remove the plugs and spray the fogging oil directly into the cylinders?

Farmer Ted
10-08-2007, 11:33 AM
find a mercury outboard dealer and ask them for a can of power tune

TMCNo1
10-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Marvel Mystery Oil in a small pump sprayer.

Jerseydave
10-08-2007, 03:14 PM
I have a 2001 5.7L with the Northstar ignition, fuel injection. I'm wondering where the fogging oil goes. There is a standard tire valve at the top drivers side of the motor, is this where fogging oil attaches? Or is it preferred to remove the plugs and spray the fogging oil directly into the cylinders?

That "tire valve" is the port for testing F/I pressure......DON"T remove it because there is pressurized fuel there! Remove your spark arrester (looks like a K&N filter) and spray fogging oil into engine intake that way. BE CAREFUL not to spray the plastic straw into engine!!!

Prostar Rich
10-08-2007, 03:55 PM

I have also been using Marvel Mystery Oil to fog my engine for years. I do not have a FI system so I just pour right out of the bottle down the carb butterfly.

Prostar Rich

goyo.miller
10-08-2007, 06:02 PM
NJskier - Perfect, thanks a million

spolleypt
10-19-2007, 12:02 PM
OK, I've fogged my motor for the last three years without this happening. Yesterday I fogged my motor, shut it down, sprayed oil in the plugs and put the plugs back in.... Came home three hours later to a 4" diameter puddle under the prop of greyish greasy viscous liquid (dripping from prop hole). Is this from the fogging oil? Should I be concerned? Do I need to remove prop and re grease??? Do I bring it to the shop?
Thanks
Steve

rrbooker
10-19-2007, 12:13 PM
I was told by an MC mechanic not to fog my mcx! he said you take a chance in screwing up your fuel injection! Does this sound right? I used to fog my old PS205 but that was carbureted!

vision
10-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Depends where you live and how long your off season will be. Many mechanics do not fog EFI engines in short off season locations. They run through stabilized fuel but not fogging oil. If you do fog, do it via the spark plug openings. Do not fog via the fuel injector.

wakolman
10-19-2007, 01:03 PM
Anyone else care to weigh in on the fogging of a MCX?? I am considering winterizing the boat myself (I am fairly mechanically inclined, just never owned a boat before). In Wisconsin, we will be putting the boat away for about 6 months. The owners manual says to pour 4-6 oz. of fogging oil into the throttle body then turn off the engine, reattach flame arrestor and seal with tape. No need to spray in spark plug holes???

I have other questions, but will post in appropriate threads.

TMCNo1
10-19-2007, 01:15 PM
OK, I've fogged my motor for the last three years without this happening. Yesterday I fogged my motor, shut it down, sprayed oil in the plugs and put the plugs back in.... Came home three hours later to a 4" diameter puddle under the prop of greyish greasy viscous liquid (dripping from prop hole). Is this from the fogging oil? Should I be concerned? Do I need to remove prop and re grease??? Do I bring it to the shop?
Thanks
Steve

Sounds like anal leakage!

Muttley
10-19-2007, 01:26 PM
I have a 2001 5.7L with the Northstar ignition, fuel injection. I'm wondering where the fogging oil goes. There is a standard tire valve at the top drivers side of the motor, is this where fogging oil attaches?

No, don't do that. That's your FI pressure test valve.

Or is it preferred to remove the plugs and spray the fogging oil directly into the cylinders?

Yes. After running Stabil thru the motor, remove the plugs and spray into the cylinders. Put the plugs back (or replace if necc.) Then shoot some down the carb or throttle body. Turn the motor over a few times without starting (disconnect the distributor or coil wire) to coat the cylinders.

Don't freak out in the spring when you spark it up and there's a big white/blue smoke show.

Gray viscous fluid? I can't see that being the fogging oil. Unless you spilled some into the bilge and it mixed with some water. I don't know if you should be concerned or not!

TMCNo1
10-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Let me get this right, it's a MASTERCRAFT boat, right?:confused:

Your profile doesn"t reflect one, it shows, peterbourough, citation, 1985, 88Hp Johnson special, just curious.

beatle78
10-19-2007, 02:00 PM

That's GENIUS! I fogged my carbuerated BU by pouring Marvel mystery oil down the carb.

I was BUMMED that I couldn't do that on my '01 LTR engine.

What kind of sprayer are you talking about? Got any links or pics?

Thanks!

TMCNo1
10-19-2007, 02:12 PM
That's GENIUS! I fogged my carbuerated BU by pouring Marvel mystery oil down the carb.

I was BUMMED that I couldn't do that on my '01 LTR engine.

What kind of sprayer are you talking about? Got any links or pics?

Thanks!

Anything from a reused Windex/Armor-All/409 bottles to something small found at Wal-Mart in the hygene section for travel bags. I keep a cardboard box full of empty sprayers just for reuse for something that requires spraying a mist or a stream. Sorry no pics or links.

beatle78
10-19-2007, 02:15 PM
Anything from a reused Windex/Armor-All/409 bottles to something small found at Wal-Mart in the hygene section for travel bags. I keep a cardboard box full of empty sprayers just for reuse for something that requires spraying a mist or a stream. Sorry no pics or links.

ok, thanks. That gives me some ideas. My only problem on the LTR is there is only a small hole to spray into and that's where the can of fogging oil comes in b/c of the little red plastic straw.

Any ideas to work around that?

Bowker's
10-19-2007, 02:18 PM
I started using 2 cans at the same time so I can actually spray enough in to kill the engine. I start with one for just a second then add the second until it cuts out. I don't like it to run at all after I stop spraying the fogging oil.

www.bowkersfiberglass.com

TMCNo1
10-19-2007, 02:19 PM
ok, thanks. That gives me some ideas. My only problem on the LTR is there is only a small hole to spray into and that's where the can of fogging oil comes in b/c of the little red plastic straw.

Any ideas to work around that?

Can't you take the air filter/flame arrester off and spray directly into the throttle body? It shouldn't take all that much for it to start smoking and wanting to choke down, meaning the fogging oil is getting in there.

etakk7
10-19-2007, 03:29 PM
I too, have the 5.7 EFI, and there is so much difference of opinion on what to do for fogging! I can't get a straight answer. For the last two years, I've used aerosol fogging oil made by Stabil sprayed into the flame arrestor (or the hole occupied by it).

TMCNo1
10-19-2007, 03:43 PM
I too, have the 5.7 EFI, and there is so much difference of opinion on what to do for fogging! I can't get a straight answer. For the last two years, I've used aerosol fogging oil made by Stabil sprayed into the flame arrestor (or the hole occupied by it).

If the boat has run the season after the fogging, it's as simple as what you did!:twocents:

Andyg
10-19-2007, 04:03 PM
This is right from the 2007 owners manual.

Step 4: Carefully loosen the flame arrestor and lift it far enough to insert the tube of the fogging oil can. Spray four to six (4 to 6) ounces of oil into the throat of the carburetor or throttle body. Shut off the engine. Re-attach the flame arrestor and seal with low-tack tape.