PDA

View Full Version : Help learning to wakeskate

DooSPX
11-01-2006, 08:09 PM
I won a CWB wakeskate at the Southern Reunion and want to learn to ride it, but have NO clue how to do it.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? speed, wake size, how to start, etc, etc.
thanks guys

88 PS190
11-01-2006, 08:21 PM
http://www.wakeworld.com/Tricklist/TrickTip013.asp

basically there are a few ways. you can sit on a dock with it under your feet, and get pulled onto it.

You can lay in the water with your heels on the skate, and be pulled up onto it.

or you can sink the board under your feet and hold it there, say hit it, and then as the boat goes get the other hand onto the handle.

DooSPX
11-01-2006, 08:23 PM
thanks 88 PS190!

hleepert
11-01-2006, 08:27 PM
I learned using the second method in the wakeworld post. If you can wakeboard then starting on the wakeskate is easy.

DooSPX
11-01-2006, 08:32 PM
guess I need to get a sky pole and add some weight in the back...

Hoosier Bob
11-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Skating is a blast. I do much the same as the wakeboard but turn faster. Rope in one hand and board in the other holding it against your feet. The driver can idle in gear which will put pressure on the board. Let go of the board both hands on the rope knees bent, arse to heels as you rise spin naturally. Takes very little speed to get up and you should probably settle in the 15-17 MPH range. Butterslides and fun are just ahead. If it is hard on the skate you can use your wakeboard w/o fins and bindings but some sex wax for grip. This is fun as well!:D
Just have fun, no skylon or huge wake is needed!

DooSPX
11-01-2006, 08:50 PM
sweet man. glad I dont need a skylon! i was hurtin thinking about putting one my PS190.
thanks hoosier!!!

tex
11-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Sit and stradle it. Put your legs out front and have the driver bring you up to about 20 mph. Lean and get out side of the wake...once there...nod your head and have them bring it up to 42mph. Relax and put your feet in the water and stay in the seated position. Don't move and the skate will come out from underneath you. Now you are rocking!

DooSPX
11-01-2006, 09:24 PM
haha, I was thinking about that Tex!
but I have a boom, to learn to barefoot on

Cary K.
11-02-2006, 08:49 AM
I only wakeskate, so I end up teaching quite a few people. I use Method 2 listed above to teach beginners. The first method is not that hard if you have dock access, but I find that most people fall over the front when trying this. Once you are comfortable, I suggest method 3, as I find it a more relaxed position. You can also start learning the running dock starts with the board in one hand/rope in other. Let us know how it goes, and if you have any other questions.

Cary K.
11-02-2006, 09:06 AM
Also, you definitely do not need ballast, skylon, tower, etc... Wake size, speed, line length are all preference. While I enjoy skating on bigger wakes, hence I load my X-Star down, small wakes can be very good (sometimes better) for learning some of the more difficult tech tricks. The Pro Tour has used SeaDoos for the last several years to pull wakeskating.

Check out www.wakeskating.com as well. Lots of good info / advice / trick tips. The majority of the forums are a younger demographic though, and sometimes it shows. But there are several Pros and many top Am's that post there, so there is always an abundance of info and pics/vids to check out.

DooSPX
11-02-2006, 03:31 PM
thanks Cary K.
that helps alot!!
what is a standard line length though? where do most start at?
thanks so much :D :)

Cary K.
11-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Once you start jumping the wakes, you will want to be around 55-60' as a starting point. It will be much easier to clear both wakes that way. Start working yourself to a longer line as you feel more comfortable clearing both wakes.

Until that point, I find it easier for beginners to start with a longer line - 75-80' (just in front of the curl over of the wake; with no ballast, you should be able to get pretty far back). This reduces turbulence behind the boat, and allows more room for them to cut outside the wakes and get more comfortable with board control.

I am a pretty big guy, and like I said I usually run a heavy boat, so I ride about 22mph. That is generally faster than most people ride, but definitely not unheard of. Starting out, just use what feels comfortable, but try in the 18-20mph range.

DooSPX
11-02-2006, 05:06 PM
thanks Cary!!