PDA

View Full Version : My Trailer Brakes

Mag_Red
10-31-2006, 12:13 PM
Decided to take the trailer to a real shop to figure why it seemed like the boat weighed 10,000 lbs while trying to tow it..............here's what we found:rolleyes: Rust in the system........and pads literally fried from dragging on the calipers

Mag_Red
10-31-2006, 12:17 PM
Now heep in mind, this trailer has very few miles on it. I do admit though........it has gotten submerged in a lake a time or two, but :rant: how the hell does MC expect you to get the boat off the trailer unless it gets wet?????

east tx skier
10-31-2006, 12:23 PM
how does MC expect you to get the boat off the trailer unless it gets wet?????

Different problem, but I wondered the same thing when I didscovered my non-stainless stock brake lines where wrapped in some sort of rubber sleeve. Who would've thought I had plans to dunk the trailer in the water from time to time.

At some cost, I replaced my rusty lines with some made of stainless steel and no further problems.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-31-2006, 12:24 PM
I don't think this is the first trailer brake issue...

Actually, your pads look ok (thickness) from the top shot...You better get yourself the new an improved 2005-06 brake calipers and do the pads too. IMO the rotors need to be cut FIRST....
I think MYMC could help you aquire them.

T Scott
10-31-2006, 12:25 PM
Don't even get RIC started on this thread !!:D

Workin' 4 Toys
10-31-2006, 12:27 PM
Oh, and you should probably replace all the lines too now. They more than likely won't have the efficiency they should.
Oh, and probably the master too.... I'll stop there...

Mag_Red
10-31-2006, 01:21 PM
This ain't nothing compared to Ric's problems. LOL Estimate so far around $700:mad: We'll see if MC wants to step to the plate on this...........but I ain't holding my breath:D

Mag_Red
10-31-2006, 01:24 PM
But let me just say this: For the $ we pay for our toys, you would think that MC would use stainless components on something important as the braking system. We all know the extremes to which these systems are subjected.

ntidsl
10-31-2006, 01:45 PM
wow...thats crazy...anyone have ideas of how to make sure our system doesnt look like that...should be check our brake fluis everytime we use it? will checking it tell us anything? hmmm...

lack of trailering may be the cause...i was always told to trailer the boat around every once in a while just to get all the water out of the trailer components cause I normally onlytrailer my boat an 1/8 mile at a time...not enough to create heat to evaporate any of the water in my brake system...

brakes are very important especially to you mag...that cumberland territory can be a little steep...im glad you caught it

erkoehler
10-31-2006, 02:16 PM
Your Welcome...come again:D

Mag_Red
10-31-2006, 02:24 PM
wow...thats crazy...anyone have ideas of how to make sure our system doesnt look like that...should be check our brake fluis everytime we use it? will checking it tell us anything? hmmm...

lack of trailering may be the cause...i was always told to trailer the boat around every once in a while just to get all the water out of the trailer components cause I normally onlytrailer my boat an 1/8 mile at a time...not enough to create heat to evaporate any of the water in my brake system...

brakes are very important especially to you mag...that cumberland territory can be a little steep...im glad you caught itExplains why it took a Full tank of gas in the F150 just to tow it 170 miles!:eek3:

Mag_Red
10-31-2006, 02:27 PM
Your Welcome...come again:DI'll reply to you tomorrow:D

erkoehler
10-31-2006, 02:28 PM
No faith :)

Chief
10-31-2006, 03:14 PM
We should just face that MC trailers are below our standards. You know when you look at the invoice when you purchase that new boat, you see $4,500 to $4,800 dollars just for the trailer.

We should just realize that you just can not build a quality trailer with stainless steel lines, componets, waterproof master cylinders and some type of rust prevention on the inside of trailer frames for that price.

Oh yeah and a spare NOT included for the price either.

bigmac
10-31-2006, 09:22 PM
But...they're nice looking trailers. Mine has nice drip molded MasterCraft graphics, and the winch appears to be of good quality, and the wheels are aluminum. And it's custom paint-matched to the boat.

So, I conclude based on my own experience and those posted over and over here that they're great trailers as long as you never have to actually pull them anywhere.

Footin
10-31-2006, 10:05 PM
Bob, 700 seems a might high, even for a complete rebuild. Shop around.

Or, buy a case of Bud and I will come down for a day this winter and we can do it.

Mag_Red
10-31-2006, 11:34 PM
Bob, 700 seems a might high, even for a complete rebuild. Shop around.

Or, buy a case of Bud and I will come down for a day this winter and we can do it.It's being taken care of;) Details to follow

Hoosier Bob
10-31-2006, 11:38 PM
If you need info I have always gone to waymires.com! They have all and reasonably priced. Local DONCHAKNOW!

Mag_Red
11-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Finally got the trailer back from the shop. :dance: They ended up basically replacing every component of the braking system except the rotors. I know this sounds expensive, especially as the trailer only carries a one year warranty. :rolleyes: But it didn't cost me a thing, thanks to CHICAGO MASTERCRAFT[ and a fine young man there by the name of Eric. They pleaded my case to Mastercraft, and were able to get the repairs done under warranty. When this ordeal started, I made two phone calls.......one to the dealer that I purchased the boat from and one to Eric to see if he knew of any issues with 2005 trailer. I have yet to hear from my dealer:rolleyes: , as they were looking into the possibility of getting this handled at MC's expensive. Here's a big THANKS:toast: to Erk!!!!!

PendO
11-09-2006, 11:45 PM
Finally got the trailer back from the shop. :dance: They ended up basically replacing every component of the braking system except the rotors. I know this sounds expensive, especially as the trailer only carries a one year warranty. :rolleyes: But it didn't cost me a thing, thanks to CHICAGO MASTERCRAFT[ and a fine young man there by the name of Eric. They pleaded my case to Mastercraft, and were able to get the repairs done under warranty. When this ordeal started, I made two phone calls.......one to the dealer that I purchased the boat from and one to Eric to see if he knew of any issues with 2005 trailer. I have yet to hear from my dealer:rolleyes: , as they were looking into the possibility of getting this handled at MC's expensive. Here's a big THANKS:toast: to Erk!!!!!

G'Dmit ............ ERK for President

6ballsisall
11-09-2006, 11:47 PM

Doesn't surprise me at all about the local dealer.

Erk on the other hand is the fazzizle snizzle!!! Chicago MC peeps rock!!

the legend
11-09-2006, 11:51 PM
has anyone here dealt personally, with said dealer? the one in Ohio that is.

Mag_Red
11-09-2006, 11:57 PM
has anyone here dealt personally, with said dealer? the one in Ohio that is.Uh......I have. Bought the boat there at the 2004 boat show. They diagnosed the problem I had with the boat not turning off. But as far as the trailer problem, they have yet to contact me. I'm betting they never follow up.:rolleyes: Let's give em a few weeks and I'll call and see if they found out anything.:D

the legend
11-10-2006, 12:00 AM
i do know that you have dealt with them. i was curious to the general opinion. i paid the bill for your trailer on tuesday, when did you pick it up?

6ballsisall
11-10-2006, 12:02 AM
has anyone here dealt personally, with said dealer? the one in Ohio that is.

Dude, don't EVEN get me started............:rolleyes:

the legend
11-10-2006, 12:09 AM
haven't they been in busy for awhile now?

6ballsisall
11-10-2006, 12:13 AM
haven't they been in busy for awhile now?

Dont know how long they have rep'd MC but they have been selling boats for some time. I/O's are their bread and butter.........

Mag_Red
11-10-2006, 12:38 AM
i do know that you have dealt with them. i was curious to the general opinion. i paid the bill for your trailer on tuesday, when did you pick it up?I owe you a big thank you!:toast: picked it up today.......they wanted to make sure the truck wiring was also in order.

Mag_Red
11-10-2006, 12:41 AM
haven't they been in busy for awhile now?They have been in business, as a boat dealer, for over 40 years. I remember going there when I was a kid. They sold Wellcraft for a long time, then got into Crownline. If I remember correctly, 2003 was the first year with Mastercraft, as I came close to buying a X10 at the 2003 boat show from them.

michael freeman
11-10-2006, 01:00 AM

Wow, that is impressive. Love to hear stories like this. Eric thanks for being an awesome example of Mastercraft customer support!

Leroy
11-10-2006, 01:05 AM
I second, it's like the new guy at work you hire and say, ok someday we will all be reporting to him....someday someday we may all be buying from ERK MC!

Wow, that is impressive. Love to hear stories like this. Eric thanks for being an awesome example of Mastercraft customer support!

mrcrowson
11-10-2006, 08:32 AM
Humm... Sounds like I just might drive 3+ hours to get my breaks fixed. After taking it to my local dealer (PC) they said they do not have time to do it now. So they put some used pads and a used caliper on and sent me home. They are now waiting to hear back from MC to see if they will warranty it or not. They will let me know sometime after Thanksgiving when I can bring it in. I tell you guys as a "new" customer to them they are just not satisfying me at all so far..... BIG BREATH!!

the legend
11-10-2006, 11:44 AM
bring your boat on up, will take care of it.

dmayer84
11-10-2006, 12:29 PM
Saw this went and opened up the master cylinder and it had a bunch of rust in there too. Was wondering why it wasnt doing so good braking. My boat is a 2004, do you think it is worth contacting the dealer to see if they will fix it or just take the blow and do all the work myself?

DanC
11-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Hey Mag
Just goes to prove it's not what you know, it's who you know.

Can you help me with my trailer?

2003 Mastercraft
1. Blew the seals (oil bath type) in the third month, repaired under warranty.

2. Last year had the brakes dragging because of the bad calipers. Boat sat at the dealer for 4 months. They replaced the calipers for free.

3. Brought it home and now the master cylinder "clunks" really bad and brakes are smelling but not hot. Dealership here in Pleasanton went out of business and somebody else took over the shop. No records of the previous warranty work but of course I have all the paper records. New shop says the master cylinder is rusted and bad, rotors are bad and needs new brake pads and they don't want to cover it. ***???:confused: They are in the phone call phase with the home office.

I think I need help from Team Talk.

Sodar
11-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Dealership here in Pleasanton went out of business and somebody else took over the shop. No records of the previous warranty work but of course I have all the paper records. New shop says the master cylinder is rusted and bad, rotors are bad and needs new brake pads and they don't want to cover it. ***???:confused: They are in the phone call phase with the home office.

I think I need help from Team Talk.

I am thinking we need another ERK on the West Coast!! After trying to work with 4 of the California Dealerships on purchasing a new boat, I have lost alittle faith...

Hunterb
11-10-2006, 01:12 PM
You should try the MC dealer in our area. He turns so many people off that last time I talked to the TIGE dealer he said he was going to send the MC dealer a commission cheque for all the TIGE boats he's sold to people who went to the MC dealer first. When I was rebuilding mine I started out looking for parts and assistance at the MC dealer and ended up getting neither from them. The guys in parts and service at the local Malibu dealer were very helpful. I love my MC but, based on my experience with the dealer here, I would not buy a new one. MC's are outnumbered 10 to 1 by Malibu and TIGE at the moment. I have heard of some exceptionally good MC dealers but not anywhere near here unfortunately.

shepherd
11-10-2006, 01:19 PM

Makes me want to buy a boat from the guy :love:

Good job Eric!

the legend
11-30-2006, 06:42 PM
its the man behind the man who does all the dirty work.

erkoehler
11-30-2006, 06:43 PM
its the man behind the man who does all the dirty work.

Thanks boss:D

the legend
11-30-2006, 06:47 PM
sarcasim is only allowed in the shop.

TOO-TALL
01-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Just found this thread.....I don't even want to go look at my brake fluid.

I have replace two calipers this last summer and the person that had the boat before me said he replaced one caliper so thats three out of four.Now there might be rust in the lines....GREAT!!!!