PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Gas Tank Removal

83MC
10-30-2006, 11:50 PM
I have removed all of the screws that I can see. The tank will not budge. The tank is empty; the hoses are free and I can see no visible obstruction. Does anybody have any ideas?

jimmer2880
10-31-2006, 06:56 AM
Really can't help more than bump this to the top.

Did you remember to unhook the vent hose?

H20skeefreek
10-31-2006, 08:32 AM
Really can't help more than bump this to the top.

Did you remember to unhook the vent hose?
I would A-s-s-u-m-e that my tank and yours are the same (1985). First of all, there are 3 hoses: fill, supply and vent. Then there are four metal brackets holding the tank in, two bolting in the the transom on the top and two bolting it to the floor, in the front. You'll have to disconnect the wires for the fuel gauge sending unit, and you may have to take out the blower.

Once all that is disconnected, just pull out the tank!

dichdoc
10-31-2006, 10:46 AM
I had the most problems getting the filler hose off my 84. I agree with the four screws holding it down. What about the small pieces of rubber it sits on could they all be "stuck" if you pried up gently to free it maybe? I seem to remember the water fuel seperator kind of making it tough to get out of the hole but you could still move the tank easily. TB

83MC
10-31-2006, 11:20 AM
Everything is disconnected. The blower has been removed and the water fuel separator has been removed. It does appear to be “stuck” on the rubber that the tank sits on…I mean STUCK! I did try to pry it up gently…still no luck. I decided to sleep on it last night. I’ll try again tomorrow…Thanks for the input.

Willski
10-31-2006, 01:56 PM
I had my tank out of my 84. Didn't have any problems though. Just disconnected and it slid out. The fuel filter/separator is a pain though. I think I took mine off before removing the tank. Be careful when you do get it out though. I had siphoned most of the fuel out, but when I picked the tank up all the remaining fuel sloshed to one side and spilled. Gas doesn't mix well with carpet glue!!

83MC
11-06-2006, 11:46 PM
I finally freed the gas tank. It was stuck to the rubber strips...there was some type of adheasive on them. I'll try to post pictures of the backing plates installed for the swim platform.