PDA

View Full Version : Bars in New Orleans....Gulf Coast?

94PS190
10-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Taking my motorcycle to New Orleans and th gulf coast for vacation this week. Do any of you have favorite bars or can you suggest stops we should make?

LakePirate
10-30-2006, 03:26 PM
If you go though Baton Rouge, and like ribs, stop at TJ RIBS. It is just off campus at LSU and the interstate.

They also have the 1953 Heisman Trophy there.

east tx skier
10-30-2006, 04:17 PM
I don't know what's still there and what's now gone, but for food ...

Mother's for breakfast.

Cooter Brown's for dinner.

Mikey
10-30-2006, 05:24 PM
I recommend The Shed BBQ in Ocean Springs, MS. It is just off of I-10 a few miles east of Biloxi. On Saturday nights they have a live band and a cool bar. They were voted best BBQ in the country for 4 years and running. Check out their website at www.theshedbbq.com

playtherapy
10-30-2006, 05:28 PM
and there is the Gumbo Shop for gumbo on St. Peter Street...yummy!

noose374
10-30-2006, 08:18 PM
BE CAREFULL! But go to Bud Rip's Old Ninth Ward Bar in New Orleans on Piety St. I went there a lot before the cane, and yes they are still open. Also, for food and drinks, check out Port Of Call on Esplanade. Order a burger, baked potato and a Monsoon. The Monsoon will get you trashed so watch out. I can go on forever, what are you looking for?

BrianM
10-30-2006, 09:12 PM
A trip to New Orleans just wouldn't be right without a stop at Pat O'Briens for a hurricane. Lots of other great places as well. Laffites Blacksmith Shop, The Bon Ton, Maple Leaf, Dos Jeffes (cigar bar), Tipatinas (with great live music), and the Carousel Bar.

You won't notice any difference in the tourist areas of New Orleans. Almost all of the resturaunts and bars are back open for business. If you want any other specific ideas or need anything elses shoot me a PM and I will be glad to help you out.

check out Port Of Call on Esplanade. Order a burger, baked potato ?
Yep, best burger in town by far.

94PS190
10-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Spending Fri and Sat on Bourbon Street. A few days before and after anywhere on the gulf coast. Mostly looking for bars with great entertainment and great views.

noose374
10-30-2006, 10:07 PM
Yeah, go to Pat O's.

BrianM
10-31-2006, 08:55 AM
Spending Fri and Sat on Bourbon Street. A few days before and after anywhere on the gulf coast. Mostly looking for bars with great entertainment and great views.

Also on Burbon St don't miss the Bourban St Blues Company (BBC) Upstairs drinks are 3 for 1 and they have a great balcony to take in the view ;)

ttu
10-31-2006, 09:10 AM
one of my favorites in the qtr is napoleon house. 500 chartres. their italian muffuletta's rock.

great brunch is at the columns hotel bar in uptown on st charles.

cooter browns as mentioned earlier is great for drinks. see if you can drink the beers of the world.

#47of100TeamMC
10-31-2006, 09:23 AM
Sorry in advance for the thread jack... But I'll be in New Orleans in early Feb. Is Bourbon St. near the Convention Center and the Hilton Riverside? that's where I'll be at for 4 days. Sounds like a good strip for some entertanment... what can a guy expect for average temps in Early Feb?

Thanks,

BrianM
10-31-2006, 09:30 AM
Sorry in advance for the thread jack... But I'll be in New Orleans in early Feb. Is Bourbon St. near the Convention Center and the Hilton Riverside? that's where I'll be at for 4 days. Sounds like a good strip for some entertanment... what can a guy expect for average temps in Early Feb?

Thanks,
Bourbon is just a few blocks from the Hilton.

Weather in February could be 80 degrees or could be 40. February is generally the coldest month around here but we are known for having warm days thrown in there as well. Most likely the daytime temps will be in the mid 60s and night will be in the 40s. Just check the weather the day before you come and pack acordingly. Always be prepared for a little or a lot of rain.

east tx skier
10-31-2006, 09:56 AM
Almost all of the resturaunts and bars are back open for business.

Speaking of Burgers, is the Camelia Grill still open?

BrianM
10-31-2006, 10:12 AM
Speaking of Burgers, is the Camelia Grill still open?

Not currently. It never reopened after the storm although it had only minor if any damage. It was recently purchased by one of Emerils business partners who apparently plans to reopen it as it has always been.

east tx skier
10-31-2006, 10:20 AM
Good to know. Great place, but I haven't been there in years.

shepherd
10-31-2006, 11:14 AM
Only been there once a couple years ago, but during a 3 day stay we ate dinner once and lunch twice at the Redfish Grill. Their tuna burger and BBQ oysters were excellent - we kept going back. They are at the West End of Bourbon St. (close to Canal St) under the Royal Sonesta Hotel, which is where we stayed. Of course, there's the Cafe du Monde, which is pretty touristy but at a good location and the beignets are good.

milkmania
10-31-2006, 11:23 AM
MIKEYJoin Date: Jun 2006
Photos: 3

no offence Mikey, but that just struck me as funny!

Funny haha, not funny queer8p

bet there's a real language barrier dontchano:uglyhamme

east tx skier
10-31-2006, 11:34 AM
Check out Jacques-imo Cafe at 8324 Oak St. Great food!

BrianM
10-31-2006, 02:37 PM
Check out Jacques-imo Cafe at 8324 Oak St. Great food!

But be prepared to WAIT. They don't take reservations and are usually slammed with people 1-2 hour wait is not uncommon.

A couple of my other favorite resturaunts. Bacco which is a top of the line resturaunt but they have an amazingly inexpensive lunch menu and $0.10 yes ten cent martinis at lunch, Cafe Giovani is another great place for dinner. Get a muffalata at Centra Grocery, Redfish Grill as mentioned above is good, someone also mentioned the Gumbo Shop, another good place is the Bourbon House. All of the above are in the French Quarter

Of course there are all of the big name resturaunts as well Arnauds, Brennans, Emerils, K-Pauls, Comanders Palace, NOLA, I could go on and on. New Orleans is the place to eat and drink... a lot!

playtherapy
10-31-2006, 04:49 PM
Mardi Gras is February 21st, you might catch some early carnival parades in the quarter. Things usually start hopping a couple of days before Fat Tuesday.

east tx skier
10-31-2006, 04:53 PM
But be prepared to WAIT. They don't take reservations and are usually slammed with people 1-2 hour wait is not uncommon.

When I went there, it was for a friend's rehearsal dinner. No wait and had the whole place to ourselves.

tex
10-31-2006, 10:42 PM
When you walk into pat o's, go to the long thin bar on the left. Sit down and drink. Don't miss with anything else. Mint julips rock!