PDA

View Full Version : Isn't the water supposed to be on the outside of the boat?

beatle78
10-30-2006, 11:24 AM
Here's a good story for you.

So we have 50 mph winds and HEAVY rain this weekend in the northeast. Well, my cover blew off my MC and the wind was so strong I couldn't get it back on. Of course by the time I noticed the cover blew off it was Sunday and the rain had stopped. I finally gave up trying to put the cover on the boat b/c the wind was blowing the cover and me all over the place, when I noticed my swim platform was 4" under water. I opened the rear compartment to find almost 4" of water in the rear lockers on my 205V. The water was up to the TOP of the gas tank.

I turned on the bilge and ran top get a fat sac pump. I bet it took 30 minutes to empty the boat......

Sorry no pics, I was freakin out at the time.

Archimedes
10-30-2006, 11:32 AM
Doesn't your bilge pump have a float mechanism?

Sodar
10-30-2006, 11:38 AM
Doesn't your bilge pump have a float mechanism?

I think you have to have the Auto button on for the float to work...

bigmac
10-30-2006, 11:44 AM
I think you have to have the Auto button on for the float to work...

On my boat, there is no auto button - automatic bilge pump is always active. I can manually activate if I want to, but it's never necessary. It would be easy to convert a bilge pump to full-time automatic to eliminate the possibility of forgetting to flip the switch. I can think of no downside, and beatle78's experience represents a good reason to do it.

Archimedes
10-30-2006, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I understand the auto float is always on on the newer boats.

beatle78
10-30-2006, 02:09 PM
Hi guys,

I do have an Auto position on my bilge BUT when I first got the boat in Sept I put it on auto and the bilge pump went on even though there was no water to pump. (there was some water on the bottom of the boat but not enough for the bilge to pump)

Does anyone know where the auto float is for the bilge? I have one of those standard yellow bilge pumps and I don't think there is a float built into it. The float must be elsewhere.....

It's a 2001 prostar 205V

thanks,
beatle78

T Scott
10-30-2006, 04:02 PM
On my old 2000 205V, the float switch was under the cockpit acces port in the center of the floor.

beatle78
10-30-2006, 04:14 PM
Thanks, I'll check. What does it even look like?

that would be a lousy design if they put the switch at a lower elevation than the pump itself......

I may have to move the bilge pump to the cockpit access area this winter. That seems to be the lowest point in the hull.

trickskier
10-30-2006, 04:24 PM
On my old ProStar the float was actually just a little piece of plastic on the side of the pump, not a true float as you might be looking for. Check near the base and see if there isn't one there. There's always that posibility that original pump may have been replaced with a pump that does not have the auto feature. Good Luck!!

PaulW
10-30-2006, 06:16 PM
I have an 01 X30 and the pump is in the back by the engine. Not the lowest point and with it dry in the back I always had water in the boat. So I added another pump in the center area. It seems that every year I get a new pump to replace the one in the center. It gets a lot of crud on it and stops it from going up and down freely. I always have the pump on in the auto selection, but like the idea of having it on at all times. Get the sealed type with the float in the pump case. Boat US will have all the selection that you need. Once one pump goes bad I just unclip the pump from the housing that is mounted to the bottom of the boat and clip in the new pump.
Not having the pumps working properly when the boat is in the water can lead to sleepless nights when we get big storms, $ 50 bucks for a new pump can save a lot in repairs later.
Paul

mitch
10-30-2006, 06:44 PM
Glad you caught it. Where in the northeast are you that your boat is still in the water. That's agressive :)

Here's a good story for you.

So we have 50 mph winds and HEAVY rain this weekend in the northeast. Well, my cover blew off my MC and the wind was so strong I couldn't get it back on. Of course by the time I noticed the cover blew off it was Sunday and the rain had stopped. I finally gave up trying to put the cover on the boat b/c the wind was blowing the cover and me all over the place, when I noticed my swim platform was 4" under water. I opened the rear compartment to find almost 4" of water in the rear lockers on my 205V. The water was up to the TOP of the gas tank.

I turned on the bilge and ran top get a fat sac pump. I bet it took 30 minutes to empty the boat......

Sorry no pics, I was freakin out at the time.

beatle78
10-31-2006, 11:13 AM
That's a good idea Paul. I'm probably gonna add a pump to the center and look into where the "float" is on the pump I have now....

mitch,

I'm in Rhode Island. I went Wakeboarding last Thursday[dock start], but that was cold with only my shorty on. I fell once and I was done CCCCCOLD :eek:

I took the boat out Sunday and will winterize this weekend :(

mitch
10-31-2006, 12:06 PM
We're done too. Winterizing today ;(

That's a good idea Paul. I'm probably gonna add a pump to the center and look into where the "float" is on the pump I have now....

mitch,

I'm in Rhode Island. I went Wakeboarding last Thursday[dock start], but that was cold with only my shorty on. I fell once and I was done CCCCCOLD :eek:

I took the boat out Sunday and will winterize this weekend :(

bigmac
10-31-2006, 12:32 PM
I have an 01 X30 and the pump is in the back by the engine. Not the lowest point and with it dry in the back I always had water in the boat. So I added another pump in the center area. It seems that every year I get a new pump to replace the one in the center. It gets a lot of crud on it and stops it from going up and down freely. I always have the pump on in the auto selection, but like the idea of having it on at all times. Get the sealed type with the float in the pump case. Boat US will have all the selection that you need. Once one pump goes bad I just unclip the pump from the housing that is mounted to the bottom of the boat and clip in the new pump.
Not having the pumps working properly when the boat is in the water can lead to sleepless nights when we get big storms, $ 50 bucks for a new pump can save a lot in repairs later.
PaulMasterCraft must have recognized your issues because when they got to the 04 230's, they had gone to two fully automatic (non-selectable) bilge pumps, one in the bilge and the other in the mid-hull, fully enclosed and clippable.

prostar205
10-31-2006, 12:46 PM
I moved my bilge pump from the rear location to middle (lowest part of the boat) and it has been working great. I am going to add another bilge pump back in the stock (rear) location just for insurance. Since we wakeboard and surf alot on the boat and load it with almost 2,000 lbs of ballast, the rear has a tendency to gather all the bilge water now.

The stock bilge pumps MC used in my 2002 are Mayfair Cartridge Bilge pumps with the integral float switch. My original is a 750 gph unit. I have adding a 500 gph unit to the rear this winter. Both will run off the stock dash switch - meaning they will both come on when I switch it to manual mode. In Auto mode, only the pump that has its float switch triggered will operate. I went and found the stock Deutsch connectors that MC used to hook up the pump so everything will appear to be stock.

Here is a picture of the Mayfair Cartridge Bilge Pump with the integral float switch attached to the side. Is this what yours looks like Beatle78?

beatle78
11-01-2006, 02:31 PM
hmmm... I don't remember that catridge on the side of mine.... I'll check tonight.......

Could you send me a link as to where I can purchase that mayfair pump w/ the built in float?

Question: Did you add another bilge hole to the side of your boat for discharge or will both pumps just pump to the OEM line/discharge hole?

prostar205
11-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Beatle78 -

I got my second bilge pump (Mayfair, 500 gph with float switch) from Overtons (www.overtons.com).

Regarding plumbing - the center ballast sack in my boat has two vent tudes. Each vent out the side of the boat in-line with the drivers area. I plan on replacing my front ballast sack with a Barefoot International ProX sac that only requires one vent tube, thus leaving me with a spare thru hull fitting. I will use this spare fitting for the forward bilge pump.

beatle78
11-02-2006, 07:52 AM
nice, thanks prostar205!!!

beatle78
05-28-2007, 07:58 AM
I'm trying to find the float switch on my 2001 205V. Anyone know where it is?:confused:

beatle78
05-28-2007, 09:52 AM
I found it. It was mounted to the floor ~2" from the pump. It def bad. Time to order a new one.