PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter issue.

h2oskier
10-30-2006, 03:37 AM
I just completed my first winterization on my 2003 Prostar 209 w an MCX engine.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to remove the filter (wich is under the passanger side manifold toward the rear of the motor box.) It was a challenge to remove the filter without making a huge mess. I still ended up with oil spilled on the floor of the motor box. It was a lot of work to clean up the oil from under the engine. It was hard to reach.

I used two plastic bags, that did not work that well.

Thanks for the help in advance!

pflcjl
10-30-2006, 06:58 AM
I cut a plastic Jug (i.e. RV antrifreeze bottle) about 1/3 from the top. ten I position the plastic bottle under the oil filter. As I loosen the filter the oil will spill into the bottle. As I further unscrew and remove filter I let it drop into the bottle and I then carefully remove the jug with the filter and oil inside it. Normally very little oil will get into the bilge that way. I also use the large AC Delco filter (PF1218).

Chief
10-30-2006, 07:53 AM
I use a large ziplock bag around the filter once I get it loose. No oil spilled.

Mag_Red
10-30-2006, 08:05 AM
I have the Predator in mine, but it sounds like the location is about the same. I remove the blower which is located just below the filter. Gives me some more room to work with, but still a pain in the ars!

trickskier
10-30-2006, 10:08 AM
I also cut a one gallon round (windshield washer fluid) jug in half and place it under the filter and let the filter drop into it. I also place a couple of paper towels under the jug just in case some oil spills.

TMCNo1
10-30-2006, 10:23 AM
Old towels, old towels, old sheets, a big Ziploc bag or plastic jug, old towels, old sheets, do you see a trend here. Throw all the old towels and sheets that get messed up in the washer with clorox and a bunch of soap and you are ready to go next time.

Farmer Ted
10-30-2006, 11:31 AM
get some of these and lay them on the bottom of the bilge

a tad bit pricey at $50 a box but a box should last a lifetime

http://www.newpig.com/en_US/main.jhtml?productId=MAT251&ppanalysis=I-2CPOPIGGRAYHEAVYWEIGHTMAT&page=browse/pp.jhtml

6ballsisall
10-30-2006, 11:32 AM
Don't forget to wax your bilge while your down there!! :D