PDA

View Full Version : Need info on footen booms.

Orange X-7
10-30-2006, 01:40 AM
Hi I'm rather new to this sport and I'm looking at buying a boom.I just have no experince with these.My boat is A 2006 X 7.What boom would you guys suggest I get.

Thank you in advance.

Mag_Red
10-30-2006, 06:21 AM
Barefoot International is the brand of choice here. I found a used one in the for sale section.

bigmac
10-30-2006, 07:36 AM
I agree with the Barefoot International booms - question is whether you want one that attaches to the pylon or to your tower. I'm not sure of the pros and cons of one vs the other since I only have experience with their V-drive boom.

Barefoot Central is a great place to shop these things. Very nice people and very helpful. IIRC, you get a substantial discount if you pay for a membership.

Look here (http://store.barefootcentral.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=11):

http://store.barefootcentral.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=11

Orange X-7
10-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Thanks bigmac.
Is this the boom you have experience with.

jkski
10-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Go with the BI and you'll be very happy. It is a sturdy boom and will serve your needs no matter what you get into. I would advise getting an 18inch extension piece that BI offers, which will get you a little further away from the spray that will come off the side of your boat. Otherwise, you can place a fat sac or a person or two on the side of the boat opposite where your boom goes out, and that will lift the boat enough to place the spray behind the boomer.
Good luck, it is a great investment.

bigmac
10-30-2006, 02:32 PM
Thanks bigmac.
Is this the boom you have experience with.Yes. It's nice equipment. The height adjusting attachment in important for a V-drive IMHO. My buddy tried get the same boom to work with his X-10, but it came off too close to the tower support so he went with the tower-mounted boom.

I only have experience with these booms on V-drives. On the MariStar hulls, there's enough spray that I agree that the extension is an excellent idea. I don't know anything about spray from your hull, but I think the extensions are a nice addition.

erkoehler
10-30-2006, 02:46 PM
BFI Booms are awesome, you can either go with a contour boom or a tower boom. You'll save some cash if you go with the contour, and it will work on any DD without a 2007 tower.

Orange X-7
10-30-2006, 04:16 PM
Thanks guys.
How strong are these booms?
I got a buddy around the 270lbs mark will it be strong enough for him.
I think I will get the contour boom.

erkoehler
10-30-2006, 04:18 PM
Thanks guys.
How strong are these booms?
I got a buddy around the 270lbs mark will it be strong enough for him.
I think I will get the contour boom.

We've had 6 adults out on the boom at once! :) Contour boom INSTOCK!

Orange X-7
10-31-2006, 12:52 AM
[QUOTE=erkoehler]We've had 6 adults out on the boom at once! :)
Now that's what I wanted to hear.Sounds plenty strong.

jlf
10-31-2006, 08:31 AM
I am also looking into a boom for our X10 those guys a MM2 got me hooked on the footin' thing so now I need a way to practice up so I can play with the big boys next summer at MM3. I am trying to figure out which one would be better for our X10 the rear pylon mounted boom or the tower mounted one?

BigMac does your friend or you like the tower one on the X10? How is the spray? I really wanted to get our boat out one more time this year so I could see how are where the spray mainly was with our boat, but Mother Nature didn't cooperate. It'll have to wait until next spring.