PDA

View Full Version : GMRS/FRS GPS Combo

pram
10-29-2006, 10:14 PM
Does anyone on here have a Rino 520/530 that they use for hunting and if so how do you like it? I have been looking at replacing my Old Etrex as it doesn't allow me to download and upload maps to it and was looking at these.

The other type of radio that I have seen is a Uniden Mystic Handheld Mapping WAAS GPS Navigator and VHF Radio with DSC. Anyone familiar with this radio. As it is VHF should I be able to piggyback on towers in the area and greatly expand my range with it?

Any thoughts on either of these radios?

Thanks Paul

bigmac
10-30-2006, 08:05 AM
Does anyone on here have a Rino 520/530 that they use for hunting and if so how do you like it? I have been looking at replacing my Old Etrex as it doesn't allow me to download and upload maps to it and was looking at these.

The other type of radio that I have seen is a Uniden Mystic Handheld Mapping WAAS GPS Navigator and VHF Radio with DSC. Anyone familiar with this radio. As it is VHF should I be able to piggyback on towers in the area and greatly expand my range with it?

Any thoughts on either of these radios?

Thanks PaulA few of us use the Rhino 530 for snowmobiling in the mountains. It puts out 5 watts on GMRS and now it sends position data at 5 watts/GMRS, whereas previous Rhinos could only send position data on FRS at 1 watt, which limited its position tracking cability. It's a very nice unit and works well. I've never used it for hunting - using a radio "in the taking of game" in Minnesota is a big no-no.

I know little about the Uniden, except that it's marine band VHF and I'm not sure if there are any repeaters for that band, especially on land, so you're still pretty much limited to line-of-sight. Note that there are GMRS repeaters scattered around the country, but you'd have to check to see if there are any within about 10 miles of your hunting area.

H20skeefreek
10-30-2006, 08:18 AM
The Uniden mystic is VHF only, and the GPS sucks. It's a Magellen GPS. Go with the Rino.

pram
10-30-2006, 12:36 PM
A few of us use the Rhino 530 for snowmobiling in the mountains. It puts out 5 watts on GMRS and now it sends position data at 5 watts/GMRS, whereas previous Rhinos could only send position data on FRS at 1 watt, which limited its position tracking cability. It's a very nice unit and works well. I've never used it for hunting - using a radio "in the taking of game" in Minnesota is a big no-no.

I know little about the Uniden, except that it's marine band VHF and I'm not sure if there are any repeaters for that band, especially on land, so you're still pretty much limited to line-of-sight. Note that there are GMRS repeaters scattered around the country, but you'd have to check to see if there are any within about 10 miles of your hunting area.

The reason that we need radios for hunting is that we have up here what are called shared moose hunts, meaning that between 2 guys you get 1 moose draw, 3-4 guys you get 2 moose draws. The catch is though that you have be in constant radio contact so that you don't take down more than you are allowed.

I bought a new set of cobra radios this year that said that they have a 10mile radius for the hunt that we just had, but they didn't work any better than the Motorola radios that I already had. I later found out that they are only 1 watt not 5 watt so I am sure that that had something to do with their ineffectiveness.

Thanks for the input I am going to pretend that I never seen the Uniden Radios at all and go with the Rino's

Paul

Tryin-again
10-30-2006, 12:54 PM
I use the older model of that Rino - I think that it is the 130.... Remember that they are line of sight... In west TX we can get tremendous range when 2 folks are on top of mountains but when you get into a deep canyon or something they won't reach out at all... :rolleyes: