PDA

View Full Version : Who's the wise guy that told me I could DRIVE the boat on the trailer?

Lark
10-29-2006, 08:32 PM
Some of you may remember my previous stories of how I keep chicken'n out driving the boat up on the trailer and instead jump off the bow and swim the boat on the trailer. Well, my left nut finally dropped and today I was feel'n brave.

We took the boat out to Lake Lewisville (I hate that lake!) only because it being nearly Novemeber I didn't think the lake would be too crowded. It wasn't bad (but VERY low) and we had fun watching the sail boats and Bryce (my 5-year old) got to take his friend Lander. But all good things must end...

We headed back and I slowly pulled up to the dock that was floating on "land" so Kim could jump off and get the truck. The boat lightly rubbed on the sand lightly scuffed up the bottom on the forward part of the boat. But it gets better. Kim backs the truck down the ramp and I'm on a mission. I line up the boat with the trailer and feel like I approached it fairly straight. But once on the trailer I heard...and felt...something that didn't seem right. I thought the side of the boat must have rubbed up against the trailer? Well, we get the boat out of the water and damn if the prop didn't hit the side of the trailer! I was really surprised to learn the back end of the boat would move around that much on the trailer. I'm guessing the trailer was too deep, but Kim tried to make sure the top of the fender was just under water. Oh well, life's a lesson, right?

Here's some pictures of the world stop'n damage. And while viewing them tell me if...

1) since the prop is brass, is it likely no damage was done to the shaft?

2) what cheap and inexpensive options are available for touching up the trailer? paint code/color? (other than red, duh!)

3) is it best to replace the damaged prop with another one of same make and model?

4) how do I avoid doing this again in the future? what did I do wrong?

Thanks guys!

http://bartkim.smugmug.com/photos/106349427-L.jpg

http://bartkim.smugmug.com/photos/106349176-L.jpg

http://bartkim.smugmug.com/photos/106349265-L.jpg

http://bartkim.smugmug.com/photos/106349335-L.jpg

Lark
10-29-2006, 08:33 PM
Oh yes, my son wanted me to scare all of you with his scary Batman costume! ;)

http://bartkim.smugmug.com/photos/106351295-L.jpg

Lark
10-29-2006, 08:34 PM
...and when did the 4 image limit, including smilies, take effect? :confused:

Mag_Red
10-29-2006, 08:38 PM
...and when did the 4 image limit, including smilies, take effect? :confused:I'm too scared to answer that! tell your son Great Costume!
As far as the trailer thing......... I'm guessing it was in too deep. Sorry to see the damage to your prop:(

erkoehler
10-29-2006, 08:42 PM
Ok...welcome to the club!

First, the trailer was probably in a bit to deep....I try to keep the fenders on my new (07) 197 about an inch ABOVE the water when putting the boat on the trailer. You can always go in deeper if needed, but start with the fenders above the waterline. This will pretty much remove the chance of hitting the trailer again.

Second, your MC dealer can supply you with a color matched can of spray paint for the trailer....if you want, I can supply that to you???

Third, the prop looks like you can have it rebuilt...I've seen much worse damage rebuilt before. Probability of damage to the strut, I'd say from these pics that your fine, doesn't look like that hard of an impact.

How's the damage to the front of the boat?

TMCNo1
10-29-2006, 08:45 PM
....and yes, you had the trailer too deep in the water. If it was farther out of the water, the hull settling into the bunks and between the guide bars would have prevented that and you probably had the steering wheel turned to the right for it to hit on the left like that.

Lark
10-29-2006, 08:51 PM
How's the damage to the front of the boat?

Thanks for the quick responses.

I wouldn't say any damage to the front, just lightly scuffed. There were some deeper scratches further back (but in front of the fins) that were there when I bought it. It's an '06 TT.

I'm guessing since it's not a race boat, it probably will not affect the performance of the boat? Should I get it buffed or just forget about it?

Thanks for the offer on the spray paint. I'll get in touch with you if my dealer does not have it. I'll drop the boat off on Tuesday.

erkoehler
10-29-2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the quick responses.

I wouldn't say any damage to the front, just lightly scuffed. There were some deeper scratches further back (but in front of the fins) that were there when I bought it. It's an '06 TT.

I'm guessing since it's not a race boat, it probably will not affect the performance of the boat? Should I get it buffed or just forget about it?

Thanks for the offer on the spray paint. I'll get in touch with you if my dealer does not have it. I'll drop the boat off on Tuesday.

What are you dropping the boat off for?

east tx skier
10-29-2006, 09:57 PM
It can probably be wet sanded out. If it's right on the keel, the gell is a bit thicker, or so I'm told.

erkoehler
10-29-2006, 11:19 PM
It can probably be wet sanded out. If it's right on the keel, the gell is a bit thicker, or so I'm told.

I've heard that as well;) Should definetly be able to wet sand them out.

milkmania
10-29-2006, 11:27 PM
Some of you may remember my previous stories of how I keep chicken'n out driving the boat up on the trailer and instead jump off the bow and swim the boat on the trailer. Well, my left nut finally dropped and today I was feel'n brave.

We took the boat out to Lake Lewisville (I hate that lake!) only because it being nearly Novemeber I didn't think the lake would be too crowded. It wasn't bad (but VERY low) and we had fun watching the sail boats and Bryce (my 5-year old) got to take his friend Lander. But all good things must end...

We headed back and I slowly pulled up to the dock that was floating on "land" so Kim could jump off and get the truck. The boat lightly rubbed on the sand lightly scuffed up the bottom on the forward part of the boat. But it gets better. Kim backs the truck down the ramp and I'm on a mission. I line up the boat with the trailer and feel like I approached it fairly straight. But once on the trailer I heard...and felt...something that didn't seem right. I thought the side of the boat must have rubbed up against the trailer? Well, we get the boat out of the water and damn if the prop didn't hit the side of the trailer! I was really surprised to learn the back end of the boat would move around that much on the trailer. I'm guessing the trailer was too deep, but Kim tried to make sure the top of the fender was just under water. Oh well, life's a lesson, right?

Here's some pictures of the world stop'n damage. And while viewing them tell me if...

1) since the prop is brass, is it likely no damage was done to the shaft?

2) what cheap and inexpensive options are available for touching up the trailer? paint code/color? (other than red, duh!)

3) is it best to replace the damaged prop with another one of same make and model?

4) how do I avoid doing this again in the future? what did I do wrong?

Thanks guys!

you only think you've got problems
you better get those toys out from behind that tire.....

or you're gonna have big problems8p

btw, hate it that you damaged your boat & trailer:(

east tx skier
10-29-2006, 11:55 PM
I've heard that as well;) Should definetly be able to wet sand them out.

The way it was explaned to me is that it is being sprayed on each side of the keel and gets a little more that way.

Leroy
10-30-2006, 12:04 AM
If you look at the pictures, your guide poles, the height of the bunks, and the margin the prop has I would guess the boat went on an angle as it went on the trailer. It looks like you hit both sides next to the prop and I'm really surprised you could hit both sides of the trailer.

Sorry to hear this Lark, anything like this is tramatic.

Lark
10-30-2006, 12:58 AM
If you look at the pictures, your guide poles, the height of the bunks, and the margin the prop has I would guess the boat went on an angle as it went on the trailer. It looks like you hit both sides next to the prop and I'm really surprised you could hit both sides of the trailer.

I think you're right about the angle, but it only hit on one side of the trailer. I think what you're seeing is the glare from the flash on the other side.

Leroy
10-30-2006, 08:42 AM
Lark;

I'm sure I've been close to this also.

Don
10-30-2006, 08:55 AM
From the picture it doesn't look possible. I can't imagin connecting with that prop guard. My guess is there was something else involved under the water.

TMCNo1
10-30-2006, 09:08 AM

The right side of the trailer is flash from the camera!

Workin' 4 Toys
10-30-2006, 09:14 AM
From the picture it doesn't look possible. I can't imagin connecting with that prop guard. My guess is there was something else involved under the water.
This was something I thought at first too. Perhaps one side of the launch is higher than the other causing the trailer to be very uneven. I would not have thought what happened there was possible.:(

Leroy
10-30-2006, 09:50 AM
From what I did it was easy for me to picture what Lark did!

I almost did a "drive through" couple of times coming out the side in stead of keeping the nose of the boat pointed straight :eek: The guide poles kept the back end straight, but the nose was pointing out about 45 degrees to the trailer. Note, second set of guide posts would be really nice to have if you drive onto the trailer like Lark or I!!

Workin' 4 Toys
10-30-2006, 09:54 AM
Note, second set of guide posts would be really nice to have if you drive onto the trailer like Lark or I!!
THAT is what the bunks are for.....8p Maybe you just need the cutting board style....

bigmac
10-30-2006, 10:12 AM
My experience with driving a MasterCraft onto the trailer is limited since I only launch/remove my boat once a year. I did experiment with it this fall and it appears to me that the most important thing is to make sure the trailer is in just shallow enough that the top of the rear trailer guides sit higher than the rub rail. Otherwise, IMHO, I risk getting cockeyed on the bunks as well as the guides gouging the side of the boat or stripping graphics off. I coasted the boat just onto the bunks and once I was sure I was lined up, powered it on the rest of the way. I chickened out before the boat buddy latched, so I had my wife back in farther so I could winch it on the rest of the way. It's kind of a mystifying process to me - I'm glad I don't have to do it often.

Lark
10-30-2006, 10:12 AM
Perhaps one side of the launch is higher than the other causing the trailer to be very uneven.(

You're a GENIUS! I didn't put 2 and 2 together until you said this. Kim is new to the backing-the-trailer-down-the-ramp thing and it was at a pretty significant angle once it got in the water. I just adjusted so I would be parallel to the trailer, but never considered the trailer was very uneven axle wise.

Another lesson learned and I get to blame this one on my wife! LIFE IS GOOD!!! :worthy:

trickskier
10-30-2006, 10:50 AM
You're a GENIUS! I didn't put 2 and 2 together until you said this. Kim is new to the backing-the-trailer-down-the-ramp thing and it was at a pretty significant angle once it got in the water. I just adjusted so I would be parallel to the trailer, but never considered the trailer was very uneven axle wise.

Another lesson learned and I get to blame this one on my wife! LIFE IS GOOD!!! :worthy:

I don't know you or your wife, but I personally would never blame my wife. She's my boat driver and a boat driver can make a skier look good or really BAD.....Just food for thought......:twocents:

6ballsisall
10-30-2006, 11:02 AM
When I had the X7 (same hull as yours and same trailer) I never even worried about hitting the prop on the trailer. I'd say you must've had the trailer half on and half off the ramp. Every experience I have had is once the boat is far enough up on the trailer where you could have prop strike isues the boat straightens itself out enough on the trailer that it should avoid that. I suppose if you were coming in fast enough and cockeyed (greater than a 30 degree angle off center) you could accomplish what happened. Again, I am betting on severely uneven trailer.

Lark
10-30-2006, 11:18 AM
I don't know you or your wife, but I personally would never blame my wife. She's my boat driver and a boat driver can make a skier look good or really BAD.....Just food for thought......:twocents:

She doesn't know how to drive the boat and I don't know how to ski. But thanks for the marital advice. LOL :D

Lark
10-30-2006, 11:20 AM
Again, I am betting on severely uneven trailer.

I'm not taking that bet; I think you're dead on!

sizzler
10-30-2006, 11:31 AM
lark.......they will fix your prop up good........

check out my damage this summer.....i had this fixed..it came back perfect.....i use it as a spare and went and bought a ACME......sweet prop

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=9515&page=2

Harvey
10-30-2006, 12:21 PM
Lark, just pull the prop off and take it to James Propeller on I35 and Valwood in Lewisville. They do great work. Or if you are in Ft Worth you can take it to B&B Propeller on Hwy 10 just off 820. Both places can have that prop fixed up for about $100 bucks. No need to take the whole boat to TXMC if all you need is the prop fixed.

Putting boat on the trailer 101
Here are some of the tricks to putting the boat on the trailer. Have the driver back the trailer down till the bunks are completely wet. Once the bunks are wet have the driver pull forward until the tops of the fenders are out of the water about 4-8 inches. The straighter the trailer is on the ramp the better. If it is cockeyed then you actually have one side of the trailer sitting higher while the boat is coming in level. This is not a good thing as you can tell by your prop. Backing a trailer takes practice. The more you work on it the better you will get. Rushing it doesnt help. Pick a direction to look. Either look back at the trailer while you do it or use the mirrors but DO NOT DO BOTH.

Now on to the boat driver. The boat driver should approach the trailer with only slight increases in throttle. Just bump the throttle then pull it to idle. You should have just enough momentum to carry onto the trailer in neutral. Line it up so that you can put the boat into nuetral before the nose gets to the guide posts. Once the boat coasts onto the trailer you should feel the boat rock back and forth a little when it rides up onto the bunks. Let the boat settle into the bunks then make sure that the wheel is straight and give the boat gentle power until it rides up the bunks and into the boat buddy. If you feel like you are not lined up then put the boat into nuetral before you get the nose past the guides. Once the nose passes the guides it is usually to late to correct it. Hope this is helpful.

Archimedes
10-30-2006, 12:43 PM
I agree that it was like an uneven trailer/came in at an angle/and or trailer being too deep. How fast were you going?

We drive on every time, never had an issue with any of the boats we've owned. But when I say drive on I mean my wife glides onto the trailer about half way up the bunks, we make sure it's straight and then she powers up into the boat buddy. We don't drive right up to the boat buddy in one shot. That's asking for trouble.

duckguy
10-30-2006, 12:50 PM
You know I am not trying to be a jerk but there have been multiple threads from this guy about-why does my boat pull to the right, how do i tralier this thing, whats this pole sticking up in front of the motor box for? and now I crashed my boat onto my trailer. Ill tell you something, my first boat was a POS. The second a little nicer POS and I gradually worked up from there. This was this guys first boat or whatever and I think this is a perfect example of more dollars than scense. Learn slow on stuff you wont cry about when you do this stuff cause it happens to all first timers.

Archimedes
10-30-2006, 12:53 PM
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

G-man
10-30-2006, 01:01 PM
Lark in lewisville there is a great prop shop. You can take them the boat and they will pull it off or you can
McGill's propeller and welding 972-436-7498

X-2
10-30-2006, 01:05 PM
You know I am not trying to be a jerk but there have been multiple threads from this guy about-why does my boat pull to the right, how do i tralier this thing, whats this pole sticking up in front of the motor box for? and now I crashed my boat onto my trailer. Ill tell you something, my first boat was a POS. The second a little nicer POS and I gradually worked up from there. This was this guys first boat or whatever and I think this is a perfect example of more dollars than scense. Learn slow on stuff you wont cry about when you do this stuff cause it happens to all first timers.

Ouch man....that hurts....a kick below the belt there I believe.

bigmac
10-30-2006, 01:25 PM

What a load of horse puckey.

X-2
10-30-2006, 01:38 PM
I agree it's kind of tacky to tell a fellow MC owner that he may possibly have more 'dollars than sense'. That's just down right nasty. Wheather a person's first boat is a POS or a beautiful masterpiece ...the first ding, scratch, goof-up, etc..... hurts just about the same. It's called "pride of ownership", new or old.

6ballsisall
10-30-2006, 01:47 PM

Dang!!! If you aren't TRYING to be a jerk I'd hate to be around you when you did try!! :rolleyes:

Are you sure your not related to Gene??? :confused:

Whether the guy is loaded or not really shouldn't have any relevance.......he bought a MC just like the rest of us. This should be a safe place to come ask questions and enjoy a little comraderie from peeps that have at least one thing in common.

So perhaps a little slack could be cut here. Sure it made me wince to hear of one of the baddest MC"s on here get injured but I don't see how beating the guy down any further helps the situation.

sand2snow22
10-30-2006, 01:57 PM
Yeah, not really cool. I have a lot of experience with boats and when water testing our "new" MC I wasn't use to the touchy throttle by wire. When putting the boat on the trailer, I hit the throttle and boat buddy too hard and bent the support? Thank God the guys at the dealer could fix it.

Lark, I do have a friend who has a competitor boat with a boatmate trailer. He did this and bent the prop like 2 or 3 times in a row? The dealer kept accusing him of putting the trailer in too deep. In the end, the problem was fixed when it was discovered the guide poles were too far apart. He had like 4 inches of space in between each guide pole and boat. They moved the guide poles in and now he has like 2 inches and the problem has been fixed. It's hard to tell from your pictures, but I don't think you have this problem.

6ballsisall
10-30-2006, 02:01 PM
Lark, I do have a friend who has a competitor boat with a boatmate trailer. He did this and bent the prop like 2 or 3 times in a row? The dealer kept accusing him of putting the trailer in too deep. In the end, the problem was fixed when it was discovered the guide poles were too far apart. He had like 4 inches of space in between each guide pole and boat. They moved the guide poles in and now he has like 2 inches and the problem has been fixed. It's hard to tell from your pictures, but I don't think you have this problem.

I'd be surprised if that is the case on a MC trailer made for the 197. I had an easy 4" on both sides of mine and no problems like this. When you get 3/4 or so on the trailer the bow catches on the boat guides and straightens out very well. The only way that could be an issue on the 197 as I see it is:

1. the trailer was way to deep (which I question because if it was there should be way to much clearance under the trailer to hit the prop)
2. Uneven trailer (fell off the side of the ramp)
3. Boat was driven up on the trailer way to fast and the bow jumped the front bow trailer guides.

rick s.
10-30-2006, 02:07 PM
plus when you motor on you need to make sure that your rudder is not turned to port or to stbd. If this happens, powering on will force the stern of the boat to go to port or stbd, and (I guess looking at your pics) the prop could grind on the trainer.

I always "center the steering wheel" before putting on the power.

LakePirate
10-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Duckguy

Your comments are way out of line. Others here have chastised you as well and I am not one to jump on but I cannot sit back and read this without a retort. My mother has been driving boats for over 45 years. Everything from little fishing boats with 9.9s to her Maristar 210. Learning to load a Mastercraft is not something that is similar to loading other styles of boats. She struggled with it initially and still has difficulty at our ramp as the grade of the hill that the ramp is on is quite severe. Hell, I have difficulty for that matter. While there are several boaters in the world that have more money than sense apparently that is not the case here as Lark has asked for help. The fact that he has asked for help removes him from the aforementioned category.

I feel like I speak for the board when I say start as many threads as you feel necessary regarding issues with your boat or boating experiences. There are no stupid questions.

erkoehler
10-30-2006, 02:44 PM
I'm with Lakey on this one.....:mad:

TMCNo1
10-30-2006, 02:47 PM

Gene is that you?
My little green alien friends are on their way for you!

6ballsisall
10-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Duckguy

Your comments are way out of line. Others here have chastised you as well and I am not one to jump on but I cannot sit back and read this without a retort. My mother has been driving boats for over 45 years. Everything from little fishing boats with 9.9s to her Maristar 210. Learning to load a Mastercraft is not something that is similar to loading other styles of boats. She struggled with it initially and still has difficulty at our ramp as the grade of the hill that the ramp is on is quite severe. Hell, I have difficulty for that matter. While there are several boaters in the world that have more money than sense apparently that is not the case here as Lark has asked for help. The fact that he has asked for help removes him from the aforementioned category.

I feel like I speak for the board when I say start as many threads as you feel necessary regarding issues with your boat or boating experiences. There are no stupid questions.

Lakey for a guy from Gwinnet County you are very well spoken. :D Oh wait, I'll be a Gwinnet County fella soon too!! :cool: :D

LakePirate
10-30-2006, 03:02 PM
Lakey for a guy from Gwinnet County you are very well spoken. :D Oh wait, I'll be a Gwinnet County fella soon too!! :cool: :D

Bite your tounge funny guy.

6ballsisall
10-30-2006, 03:03 PM
Bite your tounge funny guy.

Just messing Neighbor to be. :D

duckguy
10-30-2006, 03:17 PM
Well I dont feel that they are out of line, and I dont remember a thread in which I was "chastised". I am saying that these type of threads are so common in all types of motorsports-I just fliped my new 1000cc crotch rocket, I rode a dirtbike once when I was a kid so I thought I would be ready for it. It is way to common and people are just not willing to take things step by step or start small.

Archimedes
10-30-2006, 03:24 PM
Well I dont feel that they are out of line, and I dont remember a thread in which I was "chastised". I am saying that these type of threads are so common in all types of motorsports-I just fliped my new 1000cc crotch rocket, I rode a dirtbike once when I was a kid so I thought I would be ready for it. It is way to common and people are just not willing to take things step by step or start small.

With all due respect, we're not talking about someone destroying their new 40 foot Scarab. Having owned different types of boats, I think the 190 is one of the easiest boats to handle around a trailer, so I don't think this is a case of someone getting in over their head. I think it's simply a case of some bad luck. Bad things do happen to good people some time.

And on a related note, it's his money and what he chooses to do with it is his business. He should be commended for being willing to post his experience and ask for help.

6ballsisall
10-30-2006, 03:25 PM
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

bigmac
10-30-2006, 03:26 PM
Well I dont feel that they are out of line...

It appears you are in the minority

and I dont remember a thread in which I was "chastised".

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=244799&postcount=11

6ballsisall
10-30-2006, 03:27 PM
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!! Busted!!!!!!

trickskier
10-30-2006, 03:33 PM
Duckguy

Couldn't have said it better myself. Good Job LP, you're alright for a VOL!!:headbang:

Monte
10-30-2006, 03:36 PM
Duckguy

I'll 2nd, er 3rd, er 4th, whichever one its up to at this point... Can't add anything... well said LP..

LakePirate
10-30-2006, 03:38 PM
I guess everyone should start off with a Dixie Craft (http://atlanta.craigslist.org/boa/226276728.html)???

So your logic goes something like this.

1st boat POS
2nd boat POS +1
3rd boat POS +2
4th boat MC

Depending on the types of POS you buy the questions you mentioned "How do I trailer this thing, why does my boat pull to the right, what is this thing in front of the motorbox for" are perfectly valid. 3 I/Os over 15 years and none of them pull to the right then I buy this MC and it pulls, what gives? Perfectly logical question to me. Inexperienced boater? Nope. Lark had a system worked out, while maybe not the coolest way to do something, it was successful. He attempted a new way, ran into some problems, asked for help. I think they call that learning.

Here is a question for you. You have the financial means to purchase a boat. You don't want to deal the the mysteries that can befall an older boat. Why would you not buy a new boat?

Do you feel that someone is less dangerous on the water in a POS than a new boat? Or is it that you thought it would be fun to ridicule this gentleman with a beautiful boat (even though it is red) because he dinged his prop on his trailer loading it in late fall?

The only conclusion that I can draw from you statements is that you feel that everyone should have to pay their dues. As romantic as that sounds, the paying of dues is long gone in our have it now society.

sanjuan23
10-30-2006, 03:51 PM
Or is it a simple cry for attention or the fact someone may have some issues with someone who has such a beautiful boat.

This is just stupid... My :twocents:

Where the hell is Gene??

duckguy
10-30-2006, 03:57 PM
yes sanjuan it is my cry for attention, I only wish my boat were as pretty.

X-2
10-30-2006, 04:00 PM
I'm new, but who's Gene???? Remember....these two things: #1 I'm new to the forums, #2 With all the above being said: There are no stupid quiestions, right guys?

LakePirate
10-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Gene Doobies (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=197310&postcount=28)

The Post that will live in Infamy (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=197344&postcount=45)

X-2
10-30-2006, 04:08 PM
Sounds like Gene has a problem with reality....thanks for clarifying all that Lake Pirate!

This thread justs gets better and better...oh and by they way man sorry to hear about your boogered up prop and trailer, my condolences(sp?--where's that frickin' spell checker) go out to you. :popcorn:

duckguy
10-30-2006, 04:10 PM
it has gotten good-gene knocks porn, now that I cant take.

Lark
10-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Lark, just pull the prop off and take it to James Propeller on I35 and Valwood in Lewisville. They do great work. Or if you are in Ft Worth you can take it to B&B Propeller on Hwy 10 just off 820. Both places can have that prop fixed up for about $100 bucks. No need to take the whole boat to TXMC if all you need is the prop fixed.

Putting boat on the trailer 101
Here are some of the tricks to putting the boat on the trailer. Have the driver back the trailer down till the bunks are completely wet. Once the bunks are wet have the driver pull forward until the tops of the fenders are out of the water about 4-8 inches. The straighter the trailer is on the ramp the better. If it is cockeyed then you actually have one side of the trailer sitting higher while the boat is coming in level. This is not a good thing as you can tell by your prop. Backing a trailer takes practice. The more you work on it the better you will get. Rushing it doesnt help. Pick a direction to look. Either look back at the trailer while you do it or use the mirrors but DO NOT DO BOTH.

Now on to the boat driver. The boat driver should approach the trailer with only slight increases in throttle. Just bump the throttle then pull it to idle. You should have just enough momentum to carry onto the trailer in neutral. Line it up so that you can put the boat into nuetral before the nose gets to the guide posts. Once the boat coasts onto the trailer you should feel the boat rock back and forth a little when it rides up onto the bunks. Let the boat settle into the bunks then make sure that the wheel is straight and give the boat gentle power until it rides up the bunks and into the boat buddy. If you feel like you are not lined up then put the boat into nuetral before you get the nose past the guides. Once the nose passes the guides it is usually to late to correct it. Hope this is helpful.

VERY HELPFUL - THANKS.

The reason I was taking the whole boat in is because something is wrong with my top right speaker and it needs to be fixed under warranty.

But for future reference, what's the technique on removing the prop from the boat? I was thinking I'd get a buddy to hold a pipe wrench on the nut and I'd start the motor and put it in gear...or should I put it in reverse? Maybe it has reverse threads? :confused:

Relax guys...I'm joking. 8p

duckguy
10-30-2006, 04:50 PM
The new splined threads typically only require a tap from a rubber mallet otherwise a weekend save kit my be something to invest in-it has a prop, puller and cotter in a little bag.

Lark
10-30-2006, 04:54 PM

Just for the record, I NEVER asked what the pole in front of the motor was for. :rolleyes:

Maybe in my next life I'll be born with all this knowledge in the beginning, but thanks for looking after me. ;)

jmyers
10-30-2006, 04:55 PM

.[/QUOTE]
:purplaugh Good call!!!!!! Play with fire and you will get :firejump:

Tom023
10-30-2006, 04:56 PM
It appears Gene has paid us a visit as of 10/05/06. I figured he's been lurking because secretly he wants to be one of us.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=344

Lark
10-30-2006, 04:58 PM

Interesting. I'll bring this up to service and see what they say. Thanks!

bigmac
10-30-2006, 04:58 PM
But for future reference, what's the technique on removing the prop from the boat?

It's a splined shaft, so you should just have to remove the nut and tap the prop off with a rubber mallet. Depending on the prop, threading it around the rudder can be a little like a chinese puzzle. Use a stainless steel cotter pin when you put it back on.

There are a lot of good prop guys around that are very capable of rebuilding a Nibral prop, but there are also some that aren't so good. You might consider shipping it back to OJ or Acme (whichever brand it is) to get it rebuilt - you know they'll do it right.

duckguy
10-30-2006, 05:08 PM
I know the pole was a joke-and just for the record your boat is awsome-get your prop rebuilt and keep that as a spare. Buy an ACME to replace it. This will be the best money you spent. OJ and ACME is like a night and day difference on your boat. And geez all you guys will need to come over and watch the notebook, everyone is so sensative.

Lark
10-30-2006, 05:14 PM
I know the pole was a joke-and just for the record your boat is awsome-get your prop rebuilt and keep that as a spare. Buy an ACME to replace it. This will be the best money you spent. OJ and ACME is like a night and day difference on your boat. And geez all you guys will need to come over and watch the notebook, everyone is so sensative.

I guess I should stay with brass? I heard someone say go with stainless (much better performance) ONLY if you stay on a lake you're familiar with. Otherwise, stick with brass since it's softer and less likely to cause additional damage if it makes contact with something else.

east tx skier
10-30-2006, 05:18 PM
With the newer CNC'd props, I'm not so sure you will see any performance advantages from SS.

duckguy
10-30-2006, 05:31 PM
My boat came stock with the CNC OJ which it was broken in with. I reproped it with an ACME and the difference was incredible and I am not even referingto the different wholeshot etc from the different pitch etc. I mean just how much smoother the whole boat was. It was incredible.

Lark
10-30-2006, 05:37 PM
Everyone in the service center (and the previous tournament owner) that has driven this boat has commented how strong it runs. I guess I'll go with the same prop, or have it rebuilt, since the performance meets and exceeds our needs already.

duckguy
10-30-2006, 05:40 PM
It really isnt about power increases. It is about smoothness. It would be comparing for me my tahoe with stock tires then putting on some mud tires- no power diff just alot less smooth-try the ACME

Tryin-again
10-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Just for the record, I NEVER asked what the pole in front of the motor was for.

I have been trying to convince the girlfriend the pole is a stripper pole... I don't know why she won't beleive me...... :D

duckguy
10-30-2006, 05:46 PM
It dosent spin

Chief
10-30-2006, 05:46 PM
SHIZZZIT HAPPENS! Good luck on the repairs, if no flesh or bones are involved it's nothing dollars and cents can't fix! IMO itís better to have more dollars than "sense" anytime! :) Is that an YZF426 or 450 in your pics? I have one of those bone breakers collecting dust in the garage, not many places to ride in sunny FL.

Lark
10-30-2006, 05:48 PM
It really isnt about power increases. It is about smoothness. It would be comparing for me my tahoe with stock tires then putting on some mud tires- no power diff just alot less smooth-try the ACME

Will it still be brass?

duckguy
10-30-2006, 05:49 PM
yup CNC

Lark
10-30-2006, 05:50 PM
I have been trying to convince the girlfriend the pole is a stripper pole...

Is your girlfriend a midget? :woohoo:

duckguy
10-30-2006, 05:51 PM
Shes an Umpilumpa

Lark
10-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Is that an YZF426 or 450 in your pics? I have one of those bone breakers collecting dust in the garage, not many places to ride in sunny FL.

That was actually a WR250F. I sold it and got a dual sported KTM 525 E/XC. Both great bikes, and each one better in their own element. Now the bikes are gone in favor of the more family friendly boating hobby. No regrets, but I do miss the long backroad trips (like from TX to Canada) on the KTM 950. :(

Tryin-again
10-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Is your girlfriend a midget? :woohoo:

Naaa - But that sounds like fun ... Maybe the next one.....:rolleyes:

X-2
10-30-2006, 05:55 PM
Once again it's :popcorn: time! ROTFLMAO! Dude, Duckguy just be nice man! With that said, I think your already on the rebound.....

Lark
10-30-2006, 05:57 PM
Naaa - But that sounds like fun ... Maybe the next one.....:rolleyes:

It does sound fun, doesn't it! :D

trickskier
10-30-2006, 06:08 PM
But for future reference, what's the technique on removing the prop from the boat? :confused:

I also keep the prop nut on (to where the nylon is touching the threads) so when the prop breaks loose it will not fall and damage it or ding my trailer.

bigmac
10-30-2006, 06:35 PM
That was actually a WR250F. I sold it and got a dual sported KTM 525 E/XC. Both great bikes, and each one better in their own element. Now the bikes are gone in favor of the more family friendly boating hobby. No regrets, but I do miss the long backroad trips (like from TX to Canada) on the KTM 950. :(

Personally, I think you should have started out on a 125. Starting out with that bike just shows that you have more dollars than scense. Learn slow on stuff you wont cry about when you do this stuff....;)well, we all know the rest...

bigmac
10-30-2006, 06:45 PM
Everyone in the service center (and the previous tournament owner) that has driven this boat has commented how strong it runs. I guess I'll go with the same prop, or have it rebuilt, since the performance meets and exceeds our needs already.The CNC OJ's are good props, according to my prop guy. I went with Acme and did see a performance increase, but didn't do as much for the smoothness as I'd hoped. Stick with the Nibral over stainless. If you're seriously looking at a new prop, you should consider calling both OJ and Acme. They're both very helpful and would very likely be happy to send you props to try. I've dealt with Bill Weeks at Acme and man, he just can't do enough for me.

jmyers
10-30-2006, 07:37 PM
It does sound fun, doesn't it! :D
You guy's we went from trailering instruction to Midget Stripper's!:rolleyes:

Sounds pretty normal!:D

Harvey
10-30-2006, 08:02 PM
No problem on the advice Lark. Everyone of us was once a first time inboard owner. I am glad to share the benefits of my bent props, dinged trailers, and scratched gelcoat. Knowing is half the battle.

X-2
10-30-2006, 08:03 PM
Since I'm new here.........I had time to research this Gene thing. OMG....I was friggin' rolling.... But I have to say that he would be rather disgusted about the midget thing!

TMCNo1
10-30-2006, 08:52 PM
Gene is that you?
My little green alien friends are on their way for you!
They stopped by McDonalds to get some big orange dranks and will be there shortly!

TMCNo1
10-30-2006, 09:02 PM

It's just that time of the month and I'll take 2 Midol and call you in the morning!:eek: :popcorn: :uglyhamme

Archimedes
10-30-2006, 09:05 PM
TMC that avatar is hilarious.

TMCNo1
10-30-2006, 09:10 PM
TMC that avatar is hilarious.
Thanks, my wife really liked it when we found it in some of my childhood photos. Joking!

TMCNo1
10-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Have you ever met my brother, Buttweat and my cousin Earl Dean?

Hoosier Bob
10-30-2006, 09:20 PM
This may be obvious but next time try "Bow" first! Although backing on looks much cooler it is more difficult!:D

Hope all is not too bad. May want to see how others are approaching that ramp. It must be very shallow. Never seen anything like that myself so it may be the launch ramp causing your problems.
By the way AWESOME RIDE!
Take care ,
HB

Lark
10-31-2006, 12:53 AM
I think the approach I'll take (sorry, can't remember off hand which one suggested it, probably more than one), is have the current prop rebuilt and set aside as a spare and I'll order an Acme for the replacement and install it myself. I'll wait to take the boat back to the dealer for the tower speaker issue for another weekend.

BTW, for those skipping ahead, we're pretty sure the reason behind the bent prop is the trailer was significantly sideways on the ramp (wife is learning to back up a trailer at the same time I'm learning to drive a boat - fun, uh?).

Thanks again - u guys r great! :love:

bigmac
10-31-2006, 01:01 AM
I think the approach I'll take (sorry, can't remember off hand which one suggested it, probably more than one), is have the current prop rebuilt and set aside as a spare and I'll order an Acme for the replacement and install it myself. I'll wait to take the boat back to the dealer for the tower speaker issue for another weekend.

BTW, for those skipping ahead, we're pretty sure the reason behind the bent prop is the trailer was significantly sideways on the ramp (wife is learning to back up a trailer at the same time I'm learning to drive a boat - fun, uh?).

Thanks again - u guys r great! :love:Call Bill Weeks at Acme. He's their chief engineer and loves to talk about propellers on the phone. He'll want to know your boat, engine, transmission, weight, WOT RPM range for your engine, current top speed, current WOT RPMs.

erkoehler
10-31-2006, 01:11 AM
Lark, PM at you :)

Workin' 4 Toys
10-31-2006, 09:30 AM

Another lesson learned and I get to blame this one on my wife! LIFE IS GOOD!!!
I don't know about the name calling thing....;) But I hope all is well next time out.
Oh, and I'm sure blaming your wife will get you REAL far...:rolleyes: I suggest keeping that to yourself.;)

Workin' 4 Toys
10-31-2006, 09:35 AM
When I had the X7 (same hull as yours and same trailer) I never even worried about hitting the prop on the trailer..
Funny, I had a 197/X7 as well, and when I had to load it myself, I used to just run the boat up on the launch ramp, then get the truck and back the trailer into it at about 15mph and when I heard the thud, I knew it was time to get the winch out and crank it up the trailer from the grab rails.
And I never even thought about hitting the prop with the trailer. I did this after having the cuttting board runners on my bunks. Worked great.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edit- For those that don't already know, this post was pure sarcasim....

Lark
10-31-2006, 03:45 PM
Just got off the phone with erkoehler and he hooked me up with a brand new Acme with a very fair discount.

It's the 1281, 13.25 x 15, 3-blade, .090 cup. If this was a bad choice, let the flaming on Eric begin! :rant:

Thanks Eric, you were great to deal with! :toast:

TMCNo1
10-31-2006, 04:46 PM
Just got off the phone with erkoehler and he hooked me up with a brand new Acme with a very fair discount.

It's the 1281, 13.25 x 15, 3-blade, .090 cup. If this was a bad choice, let the flaming on Eric begin! :rant:

Thanks Eric, you were great to deal with! :toast:

But, is he also sending you some red touch-up paint too?

Workin' 4 Toys
10-31-2006, 05:27 PM
Just install some reflective red tape, this way next time you'll at least see what you're hitting....:rolleyes:

erkoehler
10-31-2006, 05:31 PM

We got him setup with a can of red paint :)

bobbyB
10-31-2006, 06:35 PM
Hey Lark

I just took a closer look at your avitar. Whew!!
Where'd you find that one?

B

Lark
10-31-2006, 07:33 PM
Hey Lark

I just took a closer look at your avitar. Whew!!
Where'd you find that one?

B

I can't post that link here...

Chief
10-31-2006, 07:37 PM
Yup Good Link! I'm sure Gene would not approve.

TMCNo1
10-31-2006, 08:19 PM
Just install some reflective red tape, this way next time you'll at least see what you're hitting....:rolleyes:

WFT, your on a roll today, way to go!:D 8p :uglyhamme

TMCNo1
10-31-2006, 08:24 PM
We got him setup with a can of red paint :)

Outstanding, you had me worried!:uglyhamme

TMCNo1
10-31-2006, 08:26 PM
Yup Good Link! I'm sure Gene would not approve.

He would copy it and hide in the closet!

Chief
10-31-2006, 09:08 PM
I'm frantically looking for some red yellow and blue paint right now for an experiment. Will exterior semi-gloss work. I'm sure it won't look as good. :D

Lark
10-31-2006, 09:31 PM
I'm frantically looking for some red yellow and blue paint right now for an experiment. Will exterior semi-gloss work. I'm sure it won't look as good. :D

I'm not generally a fan of the color combination of your boat, but that's one of the best looking boats I've seen. Kudos! ;)

Chief
10-31-2006, 09:41 PM
I'm not generally a fan of the color combination of your boat, but that's one of the best looking boats I've seen. Kudos! ;)
Thanks Lark

erkoehler
10-31-2006, 09:50 PM
Color matched spray paint is in the around $30 a can.

PendO
10-31-2006, 09:50 PM
Everyone in the service center (and the previous tournament owner) that has driven this boat has commented how strong it runs. I guess I'll go with the same prop, or have it rebuilt, since the performance meets and exceeds our needs already.

I have tried 2 props on my 06 197 w/ MCX 1.26:1

both ran 43.3 mph (not verified with GPS, so my spedo may be off, but it is all relative)

OJ 4 blade 13.7 X 15 4850-4900 rpms

Acme 3 blade 13.25 X 15 5050-5100 rpms at WOT

At appx 2100 ft above sea level

trickskier
10-31-2006, 09:58 PM

I didn't know you were an artist??:worthy: Pics at 11???

Lark
10-31-2006, 10:02 PM
I have tried 2 props on my 06 197 w/ MCX 1.26:1

both ran 43.3 mph (not verified with GPS, so my spedo may be off, but it is all relative)

OJ 4 blade 13.7 X 15 4850-4900 rpms

Acme 3 blade 13.25 X 15 5050-5100 rpms at WOT

At appx 2100 ft above sea level

Any difference in hole shot or smoothness?

I've seen slightly higher speeds on my boat, but I'm also at 600 feet.

PendO
10-31-2006, 10:08 PM
Any difference in hole shot or smoothness?

I've seen slightly higher speeds on my boat, but I'm also at 600 feet.

I have not skied behind the Acme, however, since you are at lower elevation ... what RPM's were you getting with the OJ you dinged?? Reason I ask is that you will likely see at least a 150rpm increase with the prop change ... which could put you above 5200 ... if you were getting 5000-5050 w/ the 4 blade you should be okay, but if you are getting 5100 w/ the 4 blade you might want Acme to add in a bit more cup so that you do not run it over the top of the RPM range.

What was your previous top end ... (I still wish mine went 45 :)) ... but I think I gave up some top end with the gear reduction:(

Lark
10-31-2006, 10:17 PM
I have not skied behind the Acme, however, since you are at lower elevation ... what RPM's were you getting with the OJ you dinged?? Reason I ask is that you will likely see at least a 150rpm increase with the prop change ... which could put you above 5200 ... if you were getting 5000-5050 w/ the 4 blade you should be okay, but if you are getting 5100 w/ the 4 blade you might want Acme to add in a bit more cup so that you do not run it over the top of the RPM range.

What was your previous top end ... (I still wish mine went 45 :)) ... but I think I gave up some top end with the gear reduction:(

Now I wish I had paid more attention to the RPMs. I know I've seen the speedo easily go over 45, but I don't think it was by too much. Not sure what the tach was at, though. To be honest, I'm not too concernced about losing some top end. 40 mph is fine with me and 10 mph is fine with my wife! :D

Hoosier Bob
10-31-2006, 11:04 PM
Just remember when ordering anything from my man Erk he has Forest Gump delivery service! Should be there by the end of next summer!:D For an extra ten bucks he will strap it to a turtle and point it in the proper direction!!!8p

PendO
10-31-2006, 11:10 PM
Just remember when ordering anything from my man Erk he has Forest Gump delivery service! Should be there by the end of next summer!:D For an extra ten bucks he will strap it to a turtle and point it in the proper direction!!!8p

Hey, it takes a long time to ship copyright infringing textiles:)

erkoehler
10-31-2006, 11:13 PM
Really funny guys.....

Hoosier Bob
10-31-2006, 11:19 PM
We love you ERK! So is it really an ACME or a WACME with the W rubbed off?

erkoehler
10-31-2006, 11:21 PM
We love you ERK! So is it really an ACME or a WACME with the W rubbed off?

Ah, you caught me! Oh, I'll be sure to get your 2007 calendar out by 2008 :)

Hoosier Bob
10-31-2006, 11:33 PM
That is one thing I did not order! My boat is available DOCKED if you need a pic!

erkoehler
11-01-2006, 11:15 AM
That is one thing I did not order! My boat is available DOCKED if you need a pic!

Docked but not moored!

X-2
11-01-2006, 03:04 PM
I wanna calendar???? How do I get one?

Lark
11-01-2006, 06:33 PM
I wanna calendar???? How do I get one?

Yea, Eric, there better be a calendar in my box! ;)

buffskier
11-02-2006, 06:38 PM
I had a similar problem on two fronts. Our lake went way down causing the trailer to drop too deep into the water and risking the prop on the frame while lining up, and again when pulling outof the water if it was wavy or anything like that. I had 2" PVC pipes covering the trailer guides that were about 3 feet long. I simply replaced them with pieces that were 5 feet long, slipped the padding over them, and have whoever remains in the boat use them to genltly guide the boat as the trailer 'rises' up to meet it. Because of the shape of the ramp there is no option in low water other thatn to go in way too deep, and this has compensated very well.

I drilled a couple of small air holes in the top to release the air pressure and stop them floating away as the trailer sinks.

My trailer looks a little muscular with those big ol' poles, but I have decided I like it.