PDA

View Full Version : impeller removal

budman
10-28-2006, 11:40 PM
Just got an Xstar,someone tell me how in the h--- are you going to change the impeller in this pup!

vogelm1
10-29-2006, 09:05 AM
Here's a "bump" for you. Hopefully someone else with an X-star, or other similar v-drive can chime in. From what I remember hearing, there is little to no clearance between the impeller housing and part of the hull? Once you get the cover off (combination wrench should fit) you can pull the safety lanyard and turn the motor over a couple times - a second or two each time. That sometimes 'walks' the impeller out of the housing a bit, just enough to grab with a pair of needle nose pliers. If the impeller pokes out you an also jab a couple screw drivers in each side and pry it out being careful you don't damage the housing. I thought someone on here modified a commercial impeller puller to work on a v-drive...just some things to try in the meantime - they do come out believe it or not. Others will reply once they get a chance to see your post.

Chief
10-29-2006, 09:10 AM
Just got an Xstar,someone tell me how in the h--- are you going to change the impeller in this pup!
Paint can openers are what I use. I bent one at a 90 degree and left the other straight. The impeller will come out very easy if you apply equal pressure on each side. If you don't then it will be a nightmare. I'm thinking about buying a puller but with the muffler in the way I don't think it would work anyway.

bigmac
10-29-2006, 09:30 AM
On my V-drive, I haven't been able to make the paint can opener trick work. The problem is not having the room to work and not having the angle to work. Anytime I have to do any work in the bilge, I remove all of the panels that separate the storage space from the engine compartment - the rear-most one is most important and is held in with a single screw. I don't know about the X-Star, but on my boat the silencer really limits my access to pulling the impeller. If it weren't for that silencer, an impeller puller (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiteSearchView?catalogId=10001&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&keyword=impeller&Ntt=impeller&N=0&y=0&x=0&storeId=10001&Ntk=All_2&ddkey=SiteSearch) would work great. MasterCraft design-genius at work. I am seriously considering pitching the silencer and converting to MasterCraft's new baffled exhaust system, or getting a couple of glass-packs.

http://mccollister.info/rwpumpvisegrip.jpg

As it is, I apply a needle-nose vise-grip to the lower edge of the impeller hub, vertically oriented and handle angled down, with one jaw in the shaft hole and the other on the rubber part...then I reach over the silencer blindly and pull straight back. Check your own boat for clearance between the raw water pump and your silencer. If you have enough clearance, an impeller puller (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiteSearchView?catalogId=10001&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&keyword=impeller&Ntt=impeller&N=0&y=0&x=0&storeId=10001&Ntk=All_2&ddkey=SiteSearch) is the way to go.

Whatever you do, be careful about how much force you put on the raw water pump. If you lever it around too much, you risk damaging the rear pump-shaft seal. That seal is fairly fragile to that kind of off-axis force.

JohnnyB
10-29-2006, 05:18 PM
I need to shorten the handle portion of my impeller puller as there is little clearance between the pump and the pylon.