PDA

View Full Version : Lake Powell...Were is your favorite place to go and why?

X-2
10-28-2006, 02:05 PM
Where do you go and why?

WakePowell
10-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Here are some of mine:

Good Hope Bay – There is a lot less traffic north of Halls Crossing and Bullfrog. In Good Hope the banks are shallow and the water tends to be smooth there more often. It’s great for wakeboarding.

Rincon – There are shallow banks in this area also which provide smoother water. There is a significant amount of traffic though so you need to get there early and stay late. During the week you can almost be guaranteed an air show. We have been buzzed by several B-2 Bombers, F-16’s, F-15’s, British Tornados, and even a C-130 once.

Escalante – Fantastic site seeing in the Escalante arm, especially Cathedral in the Desert. If you go all the way north in the Escalante there is a great houseboat spot where the river enters the lake this year. It had great beaches and an ox bow formation with shallow banks that provided an awesome wakeboard spot.

Drift Wood Canyon – Just north of Dangling Rope marina is a great canyon to explore really narrow and long with a great beach at the end.

I could go on forever….

WakeSeeky
10-28-2006, 09:29 PM
We usually camp somewhere within a 10-15 minute boat ride from Dangling Rope. There are plenty of canyons to find a good campsite and good water and it's close enough to Rainbow Bridge, Cathedral in the Desert, etc., that we can easily go sightseeing if we want. It's nice to be close-ish to a marina for gas and ice, and around Dangling Rope we can camp close but still get away from traffic. Doesn't matter though, any place there's a flat spot of beach to set up camp is a good place at Powell. :D

X-2
10-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Our last trip down we went to Hall Creek Bay, it was kind of nice, but the Water was rough as Hell most of the time. If you got up at 4:30 in the morning, the water was nice until about 7:00 AM or so. Same thing at night, the later it got, the smoother it got. Lot's of traffic during the day...We found a nice camping spot though & the water was very nice at 85 degrees. It's always fun though, pretty scenery too.
Here is a pic in a nice calm canyon, not glass, but not bad for wakeboarding.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-2/110427/49-Lake-Powell-8-2005-(15).jpg

X-2
10-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Does anyone one else go to Powell ever?????

suedv
10-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Our last trip down we went to Hall Creek Bay, it was kind of nice, but the Water was rough as Hell most of the time.

I can see why its rough. That rock side looks pretty, but it sure wouldn't absorb the waves.

WakePowell
10-29-2006, 08:01 PM
X-2 - Watch out for rocks in Halls Creek Bay. It is one area on the lake where I find it most unpredictable. We have help a few boats out that have hit rocks there and they were a good distance from shore.

If you are looking for smooth water close to Bullfrog, go to the back of Bullfrog Bay. Not many people get back there and the banks are shallow so if the wind is down you will find some decent water.

WakeSeeky
10-29-2006, 08:15 PM
Ah, you made me go look at my Powell pictures. :D

Makes me wish I was here:

WakeSeeky
10-29-2006, 08:17 PM
And one more, when it's glass it sure is pretty.

6 balls
10-29-2006, 08:59 PM
anyone else see it?

X-2
10-30-2006, 08:05 AM
That's good 6 Balls.....

X-2
10-30-2006, 08:11 AM
X-2 - Watch out for rocks in Halls Creek Bay. It is one area on the lake where I find it most unpredictable. We have help a few boats out that have hit rocks there and they were a good distance from shore.

If you are looking for smooth water close to Bullfrog, go to the back of Bullfrog Bay. Not many people get back there and the banks are shallow so if the wind is down you will find some decent water.

Funny thing...we were there for 4 days and all over Halls Creek Bay and never had any problems, thank goodness. But yes this is why I posted this thread....trying to find out other and better places to hang out at. We mostly wakeboard and wakesurf...a little knee boarding and tubing for the kids... we will have to check out Bullfrog Bay next time we go there though. Thanks for the heads up!

X-2
10-30-2006, 08:11 AM

Funny thing...we were there for 4 days and all over Halls Creek Bay and never had any problems, thank goodness. But yes this is why I posted this thread....trying to find out other and better places to hang out at. We mostly wakeboard and wakesurf...a little knee boarding and tubing for the kids... we will have to check out Bullfrog Bay next time we go there though. Thanks for the heads up!

X-2
10-30-2006, 08:14 AM
Thanks for sharing your pics...WakeSeeky They're beautiful!

WakeSeeky
10-30-2006, 09:12 PM
anyone else see it?

8p Now that's funny!

vegashomeexpert
11-01-2006, 11:29 PM
We like to go anywhere that you can see this rock.... And then we like to take fieldtrips everywhere else.

WakePowell
11-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Here is one of our favorite Houseboat beaches at Lake Powell

Archimedes
11-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Does anyone one else go to Powell ever?????

Had the best vacation of my life there 10 years ago before the water level crated. Haven't been back since, though we're thinking about next summer. I'm concerned that all the research I did and the places we camped then are all high and dry now.

Also, while Powell was an awazing vacation, it was far from optimal in terms of smooth water. All those boats and all those rock walls make for a lot of chop anytime but very early or late. If I were looking for smooth water, I wouldn't choose Powell, but if you want an almost spiritual experience with a little skiing thrown in, that's the place. My wife and I have vowed that we will take the kids there in the next few years so they can experience what we already have.

vegashomeexpert
11-03-2006, 11:21 AM
Had the best vacation of my life there 10 years ago before the water level crated. Haven't been back since, though we're thinking about next summer. I'm concerned that all the research I did and the places we camped then are all high and dry now.

Also, while Powell was an awazing vacation, it was far from optimal in terms of smooth water. All those boats and all those rock walls make for a lot of chop anytime but very early or late. If I were looking for smooth water, I wouldn't choose Powell, but if you want an almost spiritual experience with a little skiing thrown in, that's the place. My wife and I have vowed that we will take the kids there in the next few years so they can experience what we already have.
We have seen everything from the all time high water level 7 years ago to the recent low 3 years ago (it is about 30 feet higher now) and it doesn't make a difference except you just have to find a different beach. The beaches actually get better as the water goes down and worse as it comes up (tumbleweeds). As far as smooth water, you may have to explore a little, but you can find glass any time of the day in one of the many fingers and bays. Yep, we always take a couple of trips to other exotic places every year, but nothing gets the heart pounding, is more relaxing, and gets you away from everything as well as Lake Powell. Only 10 months 'til we go again.:D

WakeSeeky
11-03-2006, 12:14 PM
What Vegas said. ^^^^^

Powell's water level fluctuates and the available beaches always change. They can change in a single trip sometimes, it's not unheard of for the water to come up a foot or more per day in the spring. It's one of the neat things about the lake, it's never exactly the same as the last time you were there. :cool:

X-2
11-03-2006, 12:25 PM
WakePowell...where did you manage to find that sweet houseboat beach? We are thinking of renting a houseboat this Summer opposed to the shoreline camping thing. This time we will have ammenities--yeah! You forget how nice a toilet, sink, bed, couch, kitchen, etc really are! I do love the camping bit though, my parents had a hard time with it. The kids loved it and so did we. (Maybe because the Grandparents had the kids in their tent for the 4 nights!) We plan to go about 4 or 5 times next Summer so hopefully this time we will find some smooth water. Another question.....are most of you putting in at Page?

WakePowell
11-03-2006, 03:29 PM
X-2 – We have always launched from Bullfrog since it was closest to Colorado where we lived until recently. The art in finding the “perfect” houseboat spot requires a “recon” mission weeks ahead of time. Typically we would make it to Lake Powell four times during the summer with our fifth and final trip being on the houseboat. During each of our excursions during the summer we would scope out different areas to find the ideal spot.

X-2
11-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Ahhh...is that how it's done! I guess I will have to do it the same way! I guess you just hope that no one else has found your spot before you for that particular week!!!...That is another issue....so I guess you may need a few back-up sopts as well! Do you remember where you were in that particular pic.....?

WakePowell
11-03-2006, 08:55 PM
The beach pictured above is in 50-mile canyon. Most likely it will be underwater next year. The beach is actually on a natural bridge that spans 126’. If you had scuba gear you could dive behind the houseboat go under the beach and surface in the lagoon where my Mastercraft is moored. When the water is at 3605 the beach is ideal.

Here is another beach we spent a week at a few years ago. It is another one of our favorites.

X-2
11-04-2006, 09:22 AM
Now that's sweet.....I dunno if I'd bring my boat in there! I would have been afraid of rocks......where is your boat man? Is the houseboat a rental?

WakePowell
11-04-2006, 01:49 PM
The houseboat is a rental as usual and our boat is moored to the rear of the houseboat. We always try to find spots like this at the end of a canyon so you are protected from wind and wakes from passing boat.