PDA

View Full Version : X-star opinions.....

Jerseydave
10-28-2006, 02:53 PM
Thinking about switching from my '03 230VRS to a '04-'05 X-star.

I already know the wakeboard wake will be better (I have no ballast in mine) and I know that I'm losing a little interior space.

Will the rough-water ride be different? Better, worse or same?
How about acceleration and top speed? I hit around 45 now, which is fine for me. Not slalom skiing anymore, so not too concerned about the slalom wake.

Any X-star owners want to voice your opinions?

Thanks!

-Dave

BTW, I think the X-star is the ULTIMATE WAKEBOARD BOAT!

erkoehler
10-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Dave, other than the interior space/people capacity being a bit less, I think that the X-Star will meet all other requirements!!!

You should be able to get pretty close to 45, with a stock prop.

Let me know if I can help out at all in your search.

Eric

Ole Miss Rebels
10-28-2006, 05:23 PM
i own an '05 x star with mcx. the wake is large with no ballast. it is exceptional with stock ballast. it is pro-level with another 2000 lbs of weight. the comfort and ride in chop is exceptional. one less-than-optimal aspect is handling in tight spaces or when in "crawl" mode. I have the new, '06 rudder and it improved the handling. also,i upgraded my prop to the new wakeboard specific prop from OJ and the hole-shot and pulling power is dramatically improved. both were relatively inexpensive upgrades and well worth it if you are a serious wakeboarder. interior comfort is lush and spacious. the "new" xstar is by far the best all-around wakeboarding paltform on the market. you will enjoy it immensely in every facet. you will not have trouble getting people to want to ride with you. the "wow" factor is unparalleled. there is a certain (lot) of pride that goes with owning an XStar. good luck and post us some pics when you make the purchase.

rick s.
10-28-2006, 05:26 PM
If you are looking at an X-Star, don't overlook the x45. No compromises there regarding interior space, speed with the mcx is in the 43 - 45 range, great wakes with or without ballast.

Jerseydave
10-29-2006, 08:58 AM
Ole Miss,

What prop do you have now? (pitch & diameter)

Rick, I do love the X-45, but the wallet says no!
That's why I'd be looking for a nice clean X-star.

Ole Miss Rebels
10-30-2006, 01:17 PM
this is the prop that was highly recommended by eric johnson at OJ. he said that it was made specifically for a heavily loaded xstar and had be rigorously tested in the orlando are last winter and spring. he was not mistaken. it is a world of difference although i do drink a little more gas and lost a smidgen of top end. of course, i never go over 30 mph anyway unless i am trying to outrun a dangerous storm and then i only hit 33 before i manually level the speed off there. great, great prop. i am not sure of the model # of the prop but call OJ and talk to eric Johnson. he is very nice and helpfull. I purchased the prop at Propellors On Line.

Archimedes
10-30-2006, 04:00 PM
Message deleted, I'm a dope.

Jerseydave
11-08-2006, 08:32 PM
So from what I'm gathering, the MCX with the right prop will push this boat just fine. I'm not leaning toward the 6.0 liter or the 8.1 either. I believe the MCX has more bottom-end torque than the 6.0, and the 8.1 just sucks too much gas for me! (I have the 6.0 in my suburban and it likes gas alot!)

Any other X-star owners out there? I'd love to see some pics and hear your opinions too.

MYMC
11-09-2006, 12:13 PM
I've been beating the L-18 drum around here for years...it is the ONLY way to go in these boats period! Why?

1) Power, there is an excess of power. Why is this an advantage? The engine does not require the use of smaller props and therefore does not need to turn higher rpm. High RPMs exacerbate wear and fuel consumption why do you think your street car or truck is turning 1800 RPM going 70 mph?. THE L-18 SAVES YOU MONEY!

2) ROI, Do yourself a favor and buy a copy of the NADA guide and look at the add for the L-18 engine! By way of example, the 2003 X-Star is based with the 310hp engine but the 350hp MCX adds 0 dollars, LQ9 adds $4380, L-18...$10,810(it didn't cost that much new)! Sure it's just a guide...but it is the guide every major bank is using.

Sure I understand the implication of the up front cost of the option but when you are talking about boats that are this size/weight and are only going to be made heavier, do yourself a favor and give some thought.

prostar205
11-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Njskier -

I would second MYMC's comments on the L-18. I have that engine in my '02 X-30 and it rocks. At first I thought it was TOO much engine for my size boat. However, when you load up the X-30 or X-Star with additional ballast (I run almost 2,000 lbs), the extra torque and HP is a great feeling. Also, as you stated in your first post, you are looking at buying a used boat - let someone else take the hit of buying that boat new with the L-18. As for fuel consumption, I go thru about 6-7 gallon per hour, wakeboarding, surfing and skiing. At $3.00/gallon - its only $20/hr to run the boat.

Go for the L-18. I know our local dealer has a 2004 X-Star with the L-18 for sale. I think they are asking $65K.

MYMC
11-09-2006, 03:14 PM
Njskier -

I would second MYMC's comments on the L-18. I have that engine in my '02 X-30 and it rocks. At first I thought it was TOO much engine for my size boat. However, when you load up the X-30 or X-Star with additional ballast (I run almost 2,000 lbs), the extra torque and HP is a great feeling. Also, as you stated in your first post, you are looking at buying a used boat - let someone else take the hit of buying that boat new with the L-18. As for fuel consumption, I go thru about 6-7 gallon per hour, wakeboarding, surfing and skiing. At $3.00/gallon - its only $20/hr to run the boat.

Go for the L-18. I know our local dealer has a 2004 X-Star with the L-18 for sale. I think they are asking $65K.
Can think of a dealer with two used 2006's for very similar money...wonder who:rolleyes:

sanjuan23
11-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Can think of a dealer with two used 2006's for very similar money...wonder who:rolleyes:

Sure now all I need is in house financing for 20 years and another place to sleep. :D But I will hold out for the CSX

prostar205
11-09-2006, 03:19 PM

Certainly easier to get to Charlotte from New Jersey than to Seattle. Used boat prices are always high in this part of the country - I guess because we only have a 3-4 month window in which to use them and thus they have relatively low hours.

Eagle
11-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Used boat prices here may also be high here because we have the highest per capita boat ownership in the country and high disposable income (thank you Microsoft, Amazon, Starbucks, etc.)

nuckinfutz
11-09-2006, 08:06 PM
I bought my 04 (3-4 Months ago) from a individual from Oregon for 58k.

LQ9 in mine. I understand the point MYMC is making with the lower RPM/Torque value. So I will answer the question before it arises.

18-19 MPH = 2800 RPM for me Loaded with Beer, People (minimum 400 lb's of people + 1 tow) food, beer, Wakeboards, beer, tube (tucked away so nobody can see it) clothes, beer.... Total of aprox 700 lb's of non stock boat item, and no ballast.

I don’t know what Prop I am running, I will check later. Its not stock.

nuckinfutz
11-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Oh, And BEER if I didnt mention...

prostar205
11-09-2006, 08:09 PM
Oh, And BEER if I didnt mention...

Don't you also have a blender with a 700W inverter onboard? The gals on board always appreciate a nice blended drink complete with umbrella.

nuckinfutz
11-09-2006, 08:31 PM
:rolleyes: Don't you also have a blender with a 700W inverter onboard? The gals on board always appreciate a nice blended drink complete with umbrella.

You've got me thinking.......... :rolleyes:

SaltwaterMC
11-14-2006, 12:49 PM
Thinking about switching from my '03 230VRS to a '04-'05 X-star.

I already know the wakeboard wake will be better (I have no ballast in mine) and I know that I'm losing a little interior space.

Will the rough-water ride be different? Better, worse or same?
How about acceleration and top speed? I hit around 45 now, which is fine for me. Not slalom skiing anymore, so not too concerned about the slalom wake.

Any X-star owners want to voice your opinions?

Thanks!

-Dave

BTW, I think the X-star is the ULTIMATE WAKEBOARD BOAT!

Dave,

I agree that the X-Star is the ultimate wakeboard boat and we have been loving ours. We are in the saltwater world and have been putting our saltwater series to the test in a big way. We have the Crusader 6.0 and it has been doing a great job. 45 MPH is top speed and we get there as fast as we need to. It will pull a wakeboarder or wake surfer up as fast as they could ever want with no hesitation. We are coming from a Center Console outboard so we really can't compare with other inboards for speed and acceleration but with the factory ballast, loaded with 10 people and their stuff, the factory prop and this engine are doing all we have asked. The rough water ride is acceptable, not as good as the CC but good for what the boat is.

Hope this helps,

Josh

MYMC
11-14-2006, 01:52 PM
The Metal Flake pink X-Star full factory ballast on the peg...nice NC day, man I love the L-18!

Jerseydave
11-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Cool pic, MYMC. Lets see, 48 mph, one hand on the radar gun, one on the camera, steering the boat with ???? :)

BTW, nice looking weather in NC (jealous)

Chief
11-14-2006, 07:21 PM
Don't stick that radar gun between your legs when not in use!! It's a real nut roaster! :)

The new X-2's and Maristar 200's would be jam up and jelly tight with the L-18 engine, maybe when I buy my next MC in 2026 I will go with the big big engine. The MCX is no slouch though!

MYMC
11-15-2006, 09:58 AM
Cool pic, MYMC. Lets see, 48 mph, one hand on the radar gun, one on the camera, steering the boat with ???? :)

BTW, nice looking weather in NC (jealous)
Danger is my business, hahahahahahaaaaaa.

MYMC
11-15-2006, 10:00 AM
Don't stick that radar gun between your legs when not in use!! It's a real nut roaster! :)
Now you tell me! :eek:

Workin' 4 Toys
11-15-2006, 10:21 AM
The Metal Flake pink X-Star full factory ballast on the peg...nice NC day, man I love the L-18!
That pic is alright Mike, I am impressed with the 48!!!
But.....where is the wakeboarder on that fine NC day...???

MYMC
11-15-2006, 10:58 AM
She's back there..."shes tough her last young'n come out sidways she didn't holler er nuttin. Git outta the truck and git their luggage" (Planes, Trains and Automobiles)

(She is actually getting ready for the LSAT (whatever that is)

Workin' 4 Toys
11-15-2006, 11:14 AM
LOL......

And on the LSAT at least its not the GMAT I hear that ones tough....;) Wish her luck for us.....

MYMC
11-15-2006, 11:17 AM
LOL......

And on the LSAT at least its not the GMAT I hear that ones tough....;) Wish her luck for us.....
No she has a good credit score and just got a new truck so she doesnt need another lease.