PDA

View Full Version : Survey on water skis

Jeff Lyman
10-28-2006, 09:43 AM
Having Christmas around the corner and old ski equipment in the boat house and a new\used Prostar to use next summer. A few new pieces of equipment are in line.

1. Whats a good all around slalome ski and binding set up? I do not ski coarses any more but agressive @ 31 mph freestyle, 40 years experience?

2. How many of you use full rear bindings I mean with a heel piece? One of my skis is a 70's all wood concaved Obrien comp ski with full strapable ft and rear bindings 67inch, good for kids now but 2 broken legs later makes full bindings alittle scary. Pobably worth some $ on ebay!

3. Whats the deal with these new rope handles that are curved any good or just a selling point.

Lake, if you have any good photos of my boat please email them to me I put it away in storage and forgot to get some digital shots, thanks.

Couldn't have a better place for quality comments, Thanks

LakePirate
10-28-2006, 09:48 AM
1) Probably a Connelly F1X, a bit wider than a normal slalom and I have seen one of the guys down the cove run it 15 off.

2) It is a personal preference thing. Some guys love it, some guys don't. Before I would buy, if possible, demo both.

3) The curved handles are supposed to ease the break in the wrist. They have been around longer than a fad would last. I have 2, use them and like them. Once again personal preference.

You talkin' to me?

corey
10-28-2006, 10:48 AM
1. I like the H.O. Triumph series of skis. They can handle everything you can throw at them but dont force you to ski aggressivly all the time. Similar rocker line and bevels as the high end Monza/System 8, just with a little added width through the center making a bigger sweet spot, similar to an over size tennis racket or driver.

2. Totally personal preference, however if you plan on letting other people use your ski get the rear toe strap. Double boots typically place the weight of the skier farther back. This makes getting up much more difficult for recreational skiers, and they usually end up skiing on the tail. Wheter you get rear toe strap or a rear boot MAKE SURE you get a supportive front boot. Every bit of energy you create must go through the boot before it gets to the ski. I would pair up the triumph with the Venom boot, it is comfortable, supportive and easy to get in and out of.

3. Again personal preference, however radius handles are only comfortable in the baseball bat grip. Kneeboarders and wakeboarders hold with both palms down making the curve uncomfortable. If you have a separate rope for board sports (I recommend it) the radius grip does indeed make a sweet ski handle.

shepherd
10-28-2006, 10:51 AM
What he ^^^^ said.

I'd add that some folks on this site have claimed that double boot bindings will actually reduce the risk of leg injuries because they keep both feet together in a crash. I've skied for years with a rear toe plate before switching to double boots this year. I've noticed no difference in injury potential. You may be more likely to twist an ankle or knee in single boot, but I twisted my back pretty good once with the double boots.

Go with what's comfortable.