PDA

View Full Version : email from tiger direct.....

milkmania
10-28-2006, 12:18 AM
just got an email from them with this.....

http://images.tigerdirect.com/SkuImages/gallery/large/W330-3000-a.JPG (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2539636&sku=W330-3000&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM1225C)
click pic for link

$479.99
-$80.00 rebate

$399.99 total

Westinghouse Intel Celeron M 1.46GHz / 802.11 Wireless / 512MB DDR2 / 60GB HDD / Dual Layer DVDRW / 14.1" WXGA / Windows XP Home / Notebook PC

any ideas?
would it be one of those "you get what you pay for" deals?

bigmac
10-28-2006, 07:46 AM
any ideas?
would it be one of those "you get what you pay for" deals?

Sure it is. That computer was a back-to-school special and was sold at Walmart for $989 and included a 19 inch LCD TV -- a so-called "dorm room special". $399 is a good price for a laptop, but it's only a good deal if you have to have a laptop and $399 is all you can afford. Performance will be an issue, and you'll have a higher-than-normal liklihood of failure of one component or another. They can sell it that cheap because they're manufactured off-shore, they use bottom-of-the-line or obsolete components, and because they forego much of the quality control process in assembly.

Leroy
10-28-2006, 09:18 AM
One of my new product proposals used PC components from TigerDirect and I was amazed at how cheap you can buy from them! Bumping to 1G DDR will boast the performance in a lot of circumstances.

Really a pretty good deal, I don't think I've seen better for less than $499 at the big box stores.

bigmac
10-28-2006, 09:24 AM
This computer is a "toe-in-the-water" by Westinghouse Digital into the computer market. The computer is outsourced to a laptop assembler in Taiwan (like about 80% of all laptops worldwide). I haven't heard whether or not Westinghouse considers it to be a successful venture, but the current unbundled price, and now the rebate taking it down to $399, feels like a sell-off. Before buying it, I'd want to know who was going to fix it if/when it breaks.

ski_king
10-28-2006, 09:33 AM
Buy one Milk and let us know how it works out. I could use a low end laptop.

Most likley you will get what you pay for, buy you never know......

milkmania
10-28-2006, 11:16 AM
Before buying it, I'd want to know who was going to fix it if/when it breaks.

If I can get the parts...

I'll be the one fixing it

milkmania = CompTia A+ Certified

just been out of the loop for a year or so....none of my stuff's been breaking down

built & service about 35 PC's for customers and maintain warranty work and upgrades on them. (in their home)
simple DVD player and modem replacement......:rolleyes:
Lightning's been my biggest money maker:cool:

this laptop will be a simple surfer, accessing files on my server, and watching a movie here and there.

beef
10-28-2006, 11:43 AM
I just ordered one. I'll let you know what it looks like when it gets here. Same intended use for me - auxiliary laptop for surfing/docs/kid homework. This is a great price to include the opsys, even though I will upgrade it to XP Pro.

edit: Thanks for the tip!

bigmac
10-28-2006, 12:05 PM
If I can get the parts...

I'll be the one fixing it

milkmania = CompTia A+ Certified

just been out of the loop for a year or so....none of my stuff's been breaking down

built & service about 35 PC's for customers and maintain warranty work and upgrades on them. (in their home)
simple DVD player and modem replacement......:rolleyes:
Lightning's been my biggest money maker:cool:

this laptop will be a simple surfer, accessing files on my server, and watching a movie here and there.

Aha!

FYI, here (http://www.westinghousedigital.com/details.aspx?itemnum=66)are the product specs and here (http://www.westinghousedigital.com/pdf/66_User_Manual.pdf)is the owner's manual on that machine. Looks good on paper.

milkmania
10-30-2006, 10:31 PM
ordered mine at 10:37am

showed a buddy at 12:00pm

this is the message I got........

We're sorry, the product you have searched for is no longer available for sale.

called them to reconfirm my order at 3:00..... it had already been shipped!!!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Milk, I would imagine if you got that email, that JR probably signed you up for it:cool:

milkmania
10-30-2006, 10:46 PM
[
nah.....

been signed up them voluntarily for years:cool:

Leroy
10-30-2006, 11:12 PM
I saw the same performance in the paper for $200 more, really a good deal and it looks like the Dell D6xx knock-off.

milkmania
10-30-2006, 11:39 PM
I saw the same performance in the paper for $200 more, really a good deal and it looks like the Dell D6xx knock-off.

I think what they've done is take the dorm package that walmart was supplied with, and split it up....
Tiger Direct LCD TV $249.99 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2552489&sku=W330-1902

Tiger Direct Laptop $479.99 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-detailsInactive.asp?Sku=W330-3000

Wal-Mart Laptop & LCD TV $798.00
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5078905

guess they're trying to reach out to a different viewer.... someone that wants a laptop and not a LCD TV & vice versa

Leroy
10-30-2006, 11:45 PM
I would buy this, but I really don't need another PC until my oldest leaves for college next fall. Price or performace will be better by then for sure!

6ballsisall
10-31-2006, 12:10 AM
Milk, I would imagine if you got that email, that jr probably signed you up for it:cool:

Geez UMP!!! :( I can't seem to catch a break with you.............:(

bigmac
10-31-2006, 01:40 AM
I saw the same performance in the paper for $200 more, really a good deal and it looks like the Dell D6xx knock-off.AFAIK, all the Dells are made by Quantum to rather rigid specs. These price-point laptops are generally made by Compal (Compal and Quantum are both HQ'd in Taiwan, but Compals are assembled somewhere else in China). IIRC, the big brand from Compal is Acer - it's their top-of-the-line.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-31-2006, 09:27 AM
Geez UMP!!! :( I can't seem to catch a break with you.............:(
as I cant seem to catch one with you either!:D :D

Leroy
10-31-2006, 10:24 AM
Didn't know Quantum made PC's.

Acer, Asus, and couple others are the main PC makers that I know of. DELL, HP and any other name you see does not make any of their PC's that I am aware of. Funny business. Intel/AMD makes reference design, Asian supplier makes all boards and PC's and DELL/HP handle retail and some final assemble. Looks like Compal is king of notebooks!

east tx skier
10-31-2006, 11:16 AM
This computer is a "toe-in-the-water" by Westinghouse Digital into the computer market. The computer is outsourced to a laptop assembler in Taiwan (like about 80% of all laptops worldwide). I haven't heard whether or not Westinghouse considers it to be a successful venture, but the current unbundled price, and now the rebate taking it down to $399, feels like a sell-off. Before buying it, I'd want to know who was going to fix it if/when it breaks.

A little off the subject, but after reading rave reviews on Amazon (and being tempted by the low price), we picked up a 36" Westinghouse flat panel TV. The picture is great and it has been trouble free.

Anybody know if they are just rebranding G.E. TVs?

milkmania
11-01-2006, 06:22 PM
update:

ordered Monday around 10:30ish
received 1:00 p.m. Wednesday!

pretty pleased so far, haven't got to play on it much, because of my daughter's injury:(

was told by customer service they were going to get more in soon, and run them at the same price:popcorn:

maristarman
11-01-2006, 06:28 PM
Picked up 2 Acer laptops for my high schoolers during the "back to school" sales at the end of summer.

After all the rebates they cost $299. For what they need them for, they're a great deal.

As long as you're doing any type of heavy duty computing/gaming it should work fine.

As far as reliability goes, one of the most unreliable things I ever bought cost me a couple of thousand dollars dollars and in under 3 years was a very expensive paperweight.

Not going to mention the manufacturer but it rhymed with HE double hockey sticks.

Meanwhile, my 12 year old mac Performa is still chugging along nicely.

Go figure.

milkmania
11-01-2006, 06:31 PM
well, if you live by the idea that when a computer is sitting on someone's store shelf, that it's ALREADY outdated.... I'm not going to put out a bunch of money on it.

beef
11-01-2006, 09:53 PM
Just got the laptop from Tiger Direct today. First impression is that is was well worth the dough. Wish I would have gotten a 2nd before they sold out. Haven't really had a chance to stress it, just connected to my wireless network and ran some of the included software. Seems like it was a very good deal.

milkmania
11-01-2006, 11:08 PM
if I get another email from them on new arrivals, I'll be sure to post it.

it's kinda smallish, no where as big as Erk's HP, but it fits in my leather briefcase great!

I'm happy with it;)
heck, a PDA was gonna run me $299.00:mad:

beef
11-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Since getting the laptop in this post, I've been very happy with it. Nice display & plenty fast for what we're doing with it. I ordered something else from them today and got this link in the confirmation email. Great price if you need a thumb drive & don't mind waiting for the rebates.

Memorex 1GB TravelDrive for 4.99 (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2563541&Sku=M200-1102%20ISS&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEBLET03ORDER)

milkmania
11-12-2006, 03:50 PM
totally pleased with mine.....

using it exclusively since I got it.
other than transferring some software here and there, it's been great!

edit:
oh yeah, it took me a little while to find the wireless NIC switch:o

Leroy
11-12-2006, 10:39 PM
GE hasn't made a TV in over ten years. Thomson has rights for GE name for consumer electronics, made them and slapped the sticker on.

I think this is some Asian importer offering great direct price, and probable good quality!
http://hometheater.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.twice.com/article/CA438775.html%3Fdisplay=Breaking%2BNews

A little off the subject, but after reading rave reviews on Amazon (and being tempted by the low price), we picked up a 36" Westinghouse flat panel TV. The picture is great and it has been trouble free.

Anybody know if they are just rebranding G.E. TVs?

milkmania
10-05-2007, 04:13 PM
almost a year later

my $399.99 Tiger Direct laptop is still going strong

software:
formatted it a time or two, but it's from my own actions

hardware:
been clicking right along

bigmac
10-05-2007, 07:41 PM
software:
formatted it a time or two, but it's from my own actions

Ha ha..that's what they always say. That's what I always used to say...;)

MC2000190
10-05-2007, 10:20 PM
You will spend more on fixing it than anything. Get an APPLE!

milkmania
10-06-2007, 12:08 AM
You will spend more on fixing it than anything. Get an APPLE!

won't happen