PDA

View Full Version : Hot tub/ spa suggestions

suedv
10-27-2006, 06:42 PM
We've decided to buy a spa for our back yard. Do you have any good or bad experiences with particular brands. Are there features that make maintenance easier or harder. We saw a "Master Spa" brand that looked pretty nice. Has anyone had any experience with this brand?

Any suggestions or advice about thing to look for or avoid would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

east tx skier
10-27-2006, 06:47 PM
I looked at several brands and unfortunately don't remember anything I learned in the process. I decided against the spa and bought a boat, which I traded in a year later on the MasterCraft.

The brand Hot Spring is coming to mind though.

playtherapy
10-27-2006, 06:50 PM
We have two, one at the house and one at the cabin at the lake. They are both Morgan hot tubs. We haven't had any major problems. I would not buy another one with a couch. I like the seats with lots of jets much better. Also the couch takes up the room of three seats. But I suppose if you want to recline, you would want a couch.

maristarman
10-27-2006, 07:09 PM
with this brand.

http://www.sundancespas.com/

7 years so far with no problems (knock on wood).

LakePirate
10-27-2006, 07:11 PM
We had one and all the jets busted and it was going to cost more to replace the jets than the hot tub cost to begin with. It is now in the landfill. We also have an inflatable one at the lake and the heater worked about 1 year, maybe. I would imagine like most things, the simpler the design the better.

I would recommend a deck around the hot tub. That way you have somewhere to rest your drink and you can jump out for a bit with your legs still in. It also makes putting the cover on and off easier.

Carbon Dreams
10-27-2006, 07:16 PM
We love our Bullfrog. It is essentially impossible to get a leak. Check out their website http://www.bullfrogspas.com

I agree one lounger is enough.

dmayer84
10-27-2006, 07:25 PM
Marquis spa here

pflcjl
10-28-2006, 12:15 AM
Hot Springs/Tiger River - Caspian Model. I am very happy with the performance....I would recommend it. No lounger and room for six

milkmania
10-28-2006, 12:27 AM
Hot Springs Grandee

seats 7-8

JohnnyB
10-28-2006, 01:43 AM
Have had a Marquis Spa for seven years...no issues. Shopped all the spas in the area and thought this was the best for the $$$

Roonie's
10-29-2006, 12:00 AM
We have Hot Springs as well. We don't get too cold here in Seattle so if you are in an area that gets really cold make sure it is 220v instead of 110v. 110v will not run the heater when the jets are on so it cools off faster where as a 220v will run heater and jets at same time. Hot Spring rocks the hot tub world. We researched a long time before we bought it.

phecksel
10-29-2006, 12:20 AM
Bought a used CalSpa with issues for $500, put about $1,500 in new motors, pump, and digital controller. Absolutely love it. Use trichlor granual chlorine. Limit the use of suits, or have suits that are not washed with soap. It will substantially cut the use of chemicals. Also plan to regularily change the water. I found after six months, I'm using chemicals to chase chemicals.

PendO
10-29-2006, 02:43 AM
Hot Springs Grandee

seats 7-8

I HAD a hot springs like Milk ... bought it used ... removed it from my backyard with a sawzall this spring/summer ... something started leaking in the internal plumbing and there was no way to fix and it was out of warranty ... all my research led me to the Hot Springs, but I probably won't own one w/o a warranty for some time:)

suedv
10-29-2006, 08:56 AM
This has all been very helpful so far. I'm really thinking about the comments about the seats vs. lounger. Is there anyone who has a lounger and really likes it? When we've gone to stores looking they really promote the lounge seat as a feature people really like. So is it something you like when not with a group of friends, but its in the way with extra people? I thought I wanted one, but now I'm not so sure.

Have other people had leaks in the solid walls like PendO?
Thanks.

pflcjl
10-29-2006, 10:40 AM
Lot's of teenagers hang out in mine at the lake and I would not go with a lounger as it gets in the way. Check out the Hot Springs/Tiger River Caspian model. It has a high seat as well in one corner so when you get too warm, you can sit up high with your legs in the spa.

MYMC
10-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Master Spa here...did a bunch of research and looked silly with my board shorts on in the show rooms of several dealers but I wasn't spending the money without knowing what was what. With Master Spas the warranty covers the house call as well as parts and service and that was important to me.

Roonie's
10-29-2006, 11:26 AM
Our Hot Spring spa we bought new and it was covered in full warranty for 5 years including parts and service.

suedv
10-29-2006, 08:11 PM
Well we bought one.

I took MYMC's advice and took my swimsuit to the store and tried it out before making a final decision. I have problems with my legs and decided the lounger would be best for my needs after trying some out.

We are going with the Master Spas brand... I read somewhere else about leaks in the walls of Hot Spring tubs and didn't want PendO's experience with the sawzall. :D

I looked at the space issues that people were talking about and got one that will still seat five people in addition to the lounge seat. Thanks for bringing the seating issue up... we made sure to get one with enough seats and still have the lounger.

We went to several stores in this weekend. The Master Spas tub gives us what seems like the most for our money. It has 2 pumps, 30 jets, stereo, lighting, a cover lifter, and the seating for up to 6. Now we have some work to do! I'll let you know how we like it when it is in.

Thanks again.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-30-2006, 08:51 AM
We recently disowned ours. Had it for 3 years, Sundance was the brand, 600 gallon. It was nice. It was suppose to be my wife's toy and she was suppose to maintain it. It never would have made it though the first year if I let that happen.

Make sure when you have it wired, you request (If yours is has the option) to have it allow ALL the pumps and heat to work at the same time.

Make sure the main drain valve is easily accessible, you will be needing it.

I do not know where you are located. But if you are in an area that freezes, make sure your system has a program so it turns the pumps on every few hours automatically to not only circulate the water through the filters, but it will keep the lines from freezing.

milkmania
11-15-2006, 11:42 PM
don't let this happen to you:eek3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Zn81LOmvY

dmayer84
11-15-2006, 11:46 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Zn81LOmvY

Had something similar happen in ours, one girl got real sick after a night of drinking.

stuie
11-16-2006, 08:16 AM
Check these out, I've got an octagonal one, all seats no lounger. My wife is 5'2" and she could not sit in the lounger without being underwater. These are excellent spas built near Toronto Ont. and built (insulated) for our winters, some spas have very little insulation around them, which wastes a lot of energy!!

http://www.hydropoolspas.com/

Good luck

Stuart

Upper Michigan Prostar190
11-16-2006, 12:57 PM
Had something similar happen in ours, one girl got real sick after a night of drinking.
similar? she ralph in it or what?

Looks to me like a stomach flu hit that chick in the video that milk posted. Diarrheah cha-cha-cha Diarrheah cha-cha-cha:o

dmayer84
11-16-2006, 12:59 PM
similar? she ralph in it or what?

Looks to me like a stomach flu hit that chick in the video that milk posted. Diarrheah cha-cha-cha Diarrheah cha-cha-cha:o

Yeah she puked, chunks and all, first time we ever drained the hot tub in the early morning hours.

11-16-2006, 01:13 PM
Yeah she puked, chunks and all, first time we ever drained the hot tub in the early morning hours.
Yuck. break out the clorox, and lots of it. yuck....

on a semi-related note, I went to a new years party a few years ago. there was a guy in this hot tub, he was SO dam drunk, he couldnt even float. He wasnt passed out, but he was just wasted. They funny part was, everyone is ignoring him. He is just bobbing around in there face up, face down, sideways, upside down, right side up, the jets were just blowing his drunken arse all over. I asked if we should help him out, and everyone said "no, he is just fine, he likes that" so I made sure there was a somewhat sober person keeping an eye on him until he got out.

BrianM
11-16-2006, 03:39 PM
My parents have had a Hot Springs spa for just over 15 years. Never had a problem with it until about a year ago when it got a small leak around the fitting near a jet. My dad replaced it himself for a total of about $50 and about 5 hours of his time. Besides that completely trouble free. They just use the chlorine granuals.

atlfootr
11-16-2006, 07:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Zn81LOmvYno comment :rant:

11-16-2006, 09:21 PM
no comment :rant:
Atlfootr, that video is like a trainwreck, you cant help but to keep looking, when you know its sick and wrong. I should it to a few people at work today, they got a kick out of it.