PDA

View Full Version : Tristar observer seat swap

krcflyer
10-27-2006, 02:45 PM
I want to refit the bucket seat of my Trisater to a bench and jumpseat that I've seen on later models. What's the best (value for cost) way to go about this? Is there a salvage source to get an original fiberglass base? I imagine a new late model seat would be prohibitively expensive. I read the jump seat thread and will try to duplicate that effort. Thoughts and experience appreciated.
Kirby

east tx skier
10-27-2006, 02:49 PM
Unless you find a firedamaged 190 or 205, I think your best bet will be to build it from scratch and have a local upholsterer make seat cushions for it. A newer seat might also prove too wide (although I think the newer observer seat bases are part of the deck and aren't screwed into the floor like our older boats ICBW).

viabill
10-30-2006, 03:50 PM
krcflyer
I'm not sure this is what you wanted to do, but if you're looking for a close replacement for your driver's seat, you should check out what Wise offers. I looked at them in Overton's catalog, and there is one style that looks identical to the seat in my Tristar Barefoot 190. Of course, the upholstery is different, but maybe you could buy their driver's seat and some some additional vinyl from them to cover the observer seat.

LakePirate
10-30-2006, 03:54 PM
Kirby, are you talking about the observer seat?

In some models of Tristar the observer seat is a bucket seat that swivels. Is this what you have? And are looking to go to a Bench Observer seat? Correct?

krcflyer
11-05-2006, 02:37 PM
LP,
That's it. Probably not clear in my initial post. I want to take the bucket out and put a bench in (to get another usable place to sit). Something with a base that goes to the "pass through" then I can make a jump seat similar to what I've seen on another thread.
Kirby

LakePirate
11-05-2006, 05:39 PM
I haven't tried to replace mine so not much help there.

I have a 190 with no walk through, so I don't know that measurements from mine would be helpful.

One thing to look at is the location of the access points to the bilge. Your plan my wind up covering up the access to the gas tank, as mine is under the bench observer's seat and is right about where it would have to end for the jump seat solution.

krcflyer
11-05-2006, 06:37 PM
That's a great consideration. I'll check when I get back to the boat. In any case, I'm taking the bucket off to fix the swivel mechanism. Might throw a couple of different mock ups in to see how a bench would fit. Seems a shame to waste the observer seat space with a bucket--one kid has to freeze up front in the winter!
K

JohnE
11-20-2006, 09:10 PM
One of the reasons I bought my Tristar is the bucket seat. My wife hated sitting in the rear facing observers seat of out prostar if we were just boating. It is great for us.

I wondered why there were not more boats offering a front passenger bucket, but now I know why. With the bucket, you can't walk around the motor cover. Have to step over it basically.

krcflyer
11-22-2006, 11:07 AM
With just three, it is perfect, but more than that and somebody has to sit up front. I'll keep the bucket and try to build a matching bench--plus I can get some storage (cooler) underneath. If anyone has sttempted this, I'd be interested.
Kirby

JohnE
11-24-2006, 08:45 AM
Building a bench which is removable and doesn't ruin the original set up sounds ideal. I'd think it wouldn't be that dificult to build providing you get a professional to do the upholstery.

It sounds like such a good idea I may do it too..

mitch
11-24-2006, 10:08 AM
Post pics of whatever you do. I hated that seat on my Tristar

krcflyer
11-24-2006, 10:13 AM
Great! I'll compare notes, then. Still lots of skiing left here, so it will be a winter project. I haven't heard back from the upholstery guy listed in other posts. If I can get a stock skin, that will be a good starting point to fabricate the base dimensions, I think.