PDA

View Full Version : Driver's seat on '76 S&S.

M-Funf
10-27-2006, 12:43 PM
I like most everything about my boat...except the drivers seat...

It's a molded plastic housing with upholstery over the top. It's screwed to the floor in several locations and does not move. It's not too bad to get in and out of, but when seated it's a bit far from the steering wheel and maybe just a bit low...I moved it forward about 1" this season, and it was better for me, but not for my wife.

What I THINK I'd like to have is a seat that slides back and forth, and maybe even adjusts up/down somehow. Of course, I'd like to do this without changing to a modern seat since the boat is all original...

Has anybody else experienced this on older MC's?

Any other ideas???

I think this would be a good winter project for me to add to the list...

rcnjson
10-27-2006, 01:05 PM
Not in a MC, but I have an old boat similar seat. My seat is on a slide that is on an angle plate that slopes up towards the wheel. That makes sense to me because the shorter drivers want to be both closer to the wheel and sit up higher. While the taller drivers can sit further back and lower and still see just fine. It works just like a manual slide on a car seat. You pull a lever and it releases and you can slide the seat back and forth. I just checked quickly, no pics, sorry.
k

M-Funf
10-27-2006, 01:08 PM
...slopes up towards the wheel...
k

I hadn't thought about sloping the slide up toward the wheel...nice idea...

Here's the best picture I have of the current seat. The molded seat base goes all the way to the floor and has a flange at the bottom where it screws down...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid190/p1808a5e50ea910555eb7522084e4525d/f1e499bd.jpg

rcnjson
10-27-2006, 01:14 PM
That is very similar to my seat (see below). The slide has plates on the top and bottom. The top plate bolts to the molded bottom of the seat in 4 places. The bottom plate is just screwed into the floor. I put a whole new floor in so I reinforced the area under the seats. It is basically boxed in off of the stringers. I don't have a picture of the slide itself, this is all I've got.
k