PDA

View Full Version : Where to install a CD player on a 86 PS190

jayderwin1
12-16-2004, 12:46 PM
i have a 1986 MasterCraft PS190 and i cannot find a place to install a CD player any suggestion? i attached a couple of pics to give an idea of what i am working with. thank for any help

MarkP
12-16-2004, 12:50 PM
Nice looking 86 jay

You donít have a spot in the dash?? We have a few 86 87 owners that Iím sure can offer some help

ski_king
12-16-2004, 01:04 PM
I have seen a few radios installed in a few different places in this model of boat, but never have seen one I liked.

Vertical in the dash beside the mirror with a cover to keep water out. (ugly)
Mounted under the dash by driver (ugly and a knee knocker)
Mounted in the observer seat base (easily kicked and broken)

If its a cd player only, how about hidden under the dash with a remote?

If you find a good place, let me know and I will add one to mine also.

martini
12-16-2004, 01:42 PM
I have an 84 Mastercraft and I too could not for the life of me figure out were to mount that thing. These boats are very utilitarian in their design and it is very apparent when trying to make upgrades and add ons. I bought a self contained (weather proof) radio housing and installed it on the dash, centline of the boat, behind and offset from the glove box/tray. This required removing the windshield to gain access, but I am happy with the install. I also cut 2 gigantic (6") holes in my dash for the speakers! My boat is currently in storage, I will post pics when I have time to take them! Good luck!

BriEOD
12-16-2004, 03:47 PM
How about directly under the mirror. Cut out a hole and put it in. That's where I have mine in my 87.

sfitzgerald351
12-16-2004, 03:59 PM
See my post towards the bottom of this thread

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=1224&highlight=radio

I have some photos in my profile of what I did as well.

KevinZinser
12-17-2004, 12:21 PM
Here's where I put mine on my old '86 Skier.

It was just to the right of where my knee would be, so I was fine. It was convenient for the driver to get to, and a great way to keep passenger's hands off! It was also protected from water.

Good luck.

(If the picture is not here, email me)

Tom Wortham
12-17-2004, 02:38 PM
Kevin,
Nice Job. What kind of player did you go with? What type of speakers and where did you mount. I also have an 86.. and can't decide if I want to install one or not. Portable Sony water resistant radio used for now. Thanks Tom

jayderwin1
12-17-2004, 03:46 PM
Where did you get that holder Kevin?

PeteS
12-20-2004, 09:02 AM
In my 88', mine is similar to Kevin's, except it is left-justified -- pretty much under the ignition. Haven't had much trouble with it there, seems out of the way, yet accessible. Hope that helps, let us know what you deciede.

sfitzgerald351
12-20-2004, 02:44 PM
Wow, you guys don't bang your knees on the stereo? When I was looking to put mine in I considered putting it under the dash on one side or the other, but considering that I hit my knees as is I thought it'd be a real hazard.

OhioProstar
12-20-2004, 02:58 PM
Just bring one of these:

east tx skier
12-20-2004, 03:16 PM
Does that mount to your shoulder? 8p

OhioProstar
12-20-2004, 03:27 PM
Will the cardboard get too wet on the sundeck?

KevinZinser
12-20-2004, 06:00 PM
I made the receiver holder from very thin pine wood (painted black). Before putting it all together, I also glued many small, sensitive springs on the bottom board to keep the CD from skipping on hard waves. On each side and on the top, I inserted 1/2" thick pads (actually, for anyone that plays the drums, the pads were cymbal felt pads). This kept the receiver from moving unless it was a hard enough wave to make a cd skip, in which case the springs gave-in just enough to keep the tunes going.

My speakers were all mounted under the passenger seat. It wasn't the best location, but they played loud and clear, so no complaints.

jayderwin1
03-02-2005, 02:03 PM
i final figure out where to put my cd player, i am going to stick it under the passanger seat i am going to cut out a hole in the fiberglass frame and i found a water proof cover that double as a front cover and a support to hold the cd player. i am think about getting 2 6x9's in polygon boxs and placing them under the gunwhale. i am not going to permanetly mount them. i will take pic to post.

BriEOD
03-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Here's a spot...

jayderwin1
03-02-2005, 02:44 PM
the dash on my boat is different from that what is that a 88?

BriEOD
03-02-2005, 02:53 PM

86PowerSlot190MC
03-02-2005, 05:22 PM
i have a 1986 MasterCraft PS190 and i cannot find a place to install a CD player any suggestion? i attached a couple of pics to give an idea of what i am working with. thank for any help

jayderwin1,

I didnít like the idea of cutting holes in the dash, having it under the drivers console or in the passenger seat base (even though the pervious owner had installed a radio in that location and the stereo was trashed!!). So I went one step further and purchased a Jensen MCDA1 All-in-One Marine Stereo System. Basically all the working (radio, CD, MP3 player) are in a hide away box. A single cable connects the remote to the hidden box. The remote can be mounted any where or even left free floating around boat (excuse the pun). As you can see from the attached pictures I donít have the remote attached to anything. All I do until a better option comes up is place it in the cup holder and it seems to stay there quite nicely. The stereo is not cheap but it has all the whistles (two pre outs, two aux inputs, one pre out for a sub and its capable of driving four speakers without an external AMP).

The only one problem so far is the cable comes directly out of the rear of the remote. Pain in the a** if you want to use Velcro to attach it too the dash. Otherwise you have to drill holes.

rodltg2
03-02-2005, 05:38 PM
get rid of that mirror, not usuable with and observer anyway and install a windshield mount mirror, then put the stereo in the glove box.

sfitzgerald351
03-02-2005, 05:55 PM
I actually really like the stock mirror. It is useless with more than one observer in the boat, but for those times when there are only 2 or 3 of you it's way nicer than the winshield mount mirrors. I like it because it doesn't vibrate with the windshield and isn't curved so you can really se what people are doing right/wrong without turning around.

AirJunky
03-02-2005, 06:19 PM
My Cipas don't vibrate at all. The trick is to get a descent bracket. MC sells good ones on their newer boats but not a good bracket for a retrofit on an older boat. These are the stock Calabria brackets, very sturdy & the mirrors fold down under a stock cover.
http://airjunky.com/temp/dual_mirrors.jpg

sfitzgerald351
03-02-2005, 06:30 PM
It's not the mirror that vibrates (I have a Cipa as well) but the windshield itself.... Probably partly old boat, partly big 1 piece windshield with no center support/stiffening.

jt76ss
03-03-2005, 08:43 PM
check out where i have mine
amp under dash
sub behind driver seat

sfitzgerald351
03-03-2005, 11:39 PM
Did I see that right? You cut a hole out of the observer seat back to install it in?

The pre-82 boats don't have any storage under the bow, right? I know there is no way to do that in an 86 since the seat back flips up.

I was thinking that another good option might be to hang the radio under the dash behind the observer seat and then get a wire remote to mount on the dash to control the volume, etc... You'd have to flip up the seat back to change CDs, but how often do you really do that anyway?

86PowerSlot190MC
03-04-2005, 12:30 AM
Did I see that right? You cut a hold out of the observer seat back to install it in?

The pre-82 boats don't have any storage under the bow, right? I know there is no way to do that in an 86 since the seat back flips up.

I was thinking that another good option might be to hand the radio under the dash behind the observer seat and then get a wire remote to mount on the dash to control the volume, etc... You'd have to flip up the seat back to change CDs, but how often do you really do that anyway?

If you get a 6 or 10 disc CD changer that plays MP3ís, youíll have hour upon hours of music. I have mine full of MP3ís and I still havenít listened to them all! :banana: