PDA

View Full Version : Costume Political Correctness

PendO
10-27-2006, 12:27 PM
So, how PC or not PC is it for my wife to dress as Pocahontas?

east tx skier
10-27-2006, 12:30 PM
A few years ago, I went as Jim Morisson (older, fatter version). My wife dressed as the Indian from his dreams. We did this in Austin, which can be about as P.C. as Texas gets. We had no complaints.

trickskier
10-27-2006, 12:42 PM

Has it come to THIS??? We have to worry about offending someone over a Halloween costume??? I guess I need to think twice about only wearing a pair of roller skates and going as a PULL TOY! :eek3:

PendO
10-27-2006, 12:47 PM
I guess the backdrop for my question is that we live within an hour or so from 3 indian reservations, and we are going to a party with a bunch of attorneys.

Maristar210
10-27-2006, 01:02 PM
I guess the backdrop for my question is that we live within an hour or so from 3 indian reservations, and we are going to a party with a bunch of attorneys.

You answered your own question Pendo:noface: :noface:

LakePirate
10-27-2006, 01:05 PM
Eastie has the best costumes.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-27-2006, 01:07 PM
OMG, please tell me that we Dont have to wear politically correct halloween costumes now......:rolleyes:

Maristar210
10-27-2006, 01:11 PM
A few years ago, I went as Jim Morisson (older, fatter version). My wife dressed as the Indian from his dreams. We did this in Austin, which can be about as P.C. as Texas gets. We had no complaints.

To fully be in costume did you drop a lid?

east tx skier
10-27-2006, 01:14 PM
To fully be in costume did you drop a lid?

Is that a mixed metaphor?

trickskier
10-27-2006, 01:15 PM

Personally, I don't see how anyone could be offended by dressing up as an Indian as beautiful as Pocahontas. Hope you have fun at the party.

Maristar210
10-27-2006, 01:15 PM
Is that a mixed metaphor?

No - Acid....

east tx skier
10-27-2006, 01:20 PM
To answer the original question ... (drum roll) nope. Sorry to disappoint. Remember, I was the old, fat Morrison. I stuck to the booze.

As for the metaphor, the way I remember Up in Smoke, a "lid" was a measurement of something else.

Urban Dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lid)

/edit. Oh wait, was "a lid" a typo? 8p

Maristar210
10-27-2006, 01:28 PM
To answer the original question ... (drum roll) nope. Sorry to disappoint. Remember, I was the old, fat Morrison. I stuck to the booze.

As for the metaphor, the way I remember Up in Smoke, a "lid" was a measurement of something else.

Urban Dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lid)

/edit. Oh wait, was "a lid" a typo? 8p

Leave it to the English major. :rolleyes:

When I was school we called a lid acid because you placed it under your eye LID...

Silly I know.... or silly i no as Rod would say:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

east tx skier
10-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Eastie has the best costumes.

I had a dead rock star motif going on for a few years. The Jerry Garcia costume was the best. I need to dig up some pictures. UMP shouldn't be the only one on here in leather pants. 8p

Hey, I should break them out this year and go as UMP! :D

Maristar210
10-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Oh and quit placing helpful links to other places, you know how easily distracted I can be:D

east tx skier
10-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Leave it to the English major. :rolleyes:

When I was school we called a lid acid because you placed it under your eye LID...

Silly I know.... or silly i no as Rod would say:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You guys watched too many Rolling Stones documentaries. I have enough issues putting eye drops in my eyes.

/That scene from C.S. Blues is among the more disturbing things I've watched.

Monte
10-27-2006, 01:31 PM

I don't see a problem with it. She's not going as "some indian woman" She is going as a historical native american figure...

east tx skier
10-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Back on topic, it's only a problem if you actually offend someone and (1) you don't want to offend someone, or (2) the person you offend is bigger than you are.

When we did it, the thought didn't even cross our minds. Then again, the Naitive American population in Austin isn't exactly what it is in your area.

Maristar210
10-27-2006, 01:37 PM
If it's a work function I would not recommend it, just my opinion.

east tx skier
10-27-2006, 01:39 PM
If it's a work function I would not recommend it, just my opinion.

If that's the case, don't you go as the mammogram either.

Maristar210
10-27-2006, 01:40 PM
If that's the case, don't you go as the mammogram either.

Funny Doug:D

bcampbe7
10-27-2006, 01:46 PM
I don't see a problem with it...

Are you going as John Smith?

Whatever she goes as, we need pictures. :D

rcnjson
10-27-2006, 01:48 PM
I have gone as Mr. T (twice)
I'm a white guy from Wisconsin.
I went as JFK Jr. once, that was JFK Jr. after the crash. My GF at the time, went as Princess Di that year. We didn't make any friends. Matter of fact, it was tough to make it out alive that night. All the girls hated me and everyone hated her costume. I guess that is more tastless than PC, but I was young at the time.
k
This is me as Mr. T

LakePirate
10-27-2006, 01:53 PM
I have gone as Mr. T (twice)
I'm a white guy from Wisconsin.
I went as JFK Jr. once, that was JFK Jr. after the crash. My GF at the time, went as Princess Di that year. We didn't make any friends. Matter of fact, it was tough to make it out alive that night. All the girls hated me and everyone hated her costume. I guess that is more tastless than PC, but I was young at the time.
k
This is me as Mr. T

What is that above you head?

Is that appropriate for this site?

rcnjson
10-27-2006, 01:58 PM
You are correct, it is not appropriate for anyone on this site to shop at IKEA. The good news is that party wasn't at my house. Even worse, I'm going to a costume party this weekend and it is in the garage, and inside the garage is a Supra!!!! If I get my picture taken in front of that, I'll probably be banished for life.
k

shepherd
10-27-2006, 02:15 PM
I guess I'm a traditionalist - I think people should dress up in scary costumes - you know, like a vampire, hockey mask dude, or an older fatter Jim Morrison...

Pocahontas isn't very scary

LakePirate
10-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Pocahontas isn't very scary

I disagree...if the individual who is dressed up as Pocahontas is not the same body type as Pocahontas then there is the potential for some seriously scary stuff.

shepherd
10-27-2006, 02:46 PM
I disagree...if the individual who is dressed up as Pocahontas is not the same body type as Pocahontas then there is the potential for some seriously scary stuff.

Good point! :(

east tx skier
10-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Here's the Garcia costume in the finals of the costume contest.

Monte
10-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Here's the Garcia costume in the finals of the costume contest.

Dang ETS you even got the missing finger down... I'm impressed...:D

LP you make a very valid point!

east tx skier
10-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Dang ETS you even got the missing finger down... I'm impressed...:D

LP you make a very valid point!

Oh yeah. That guitar was purchased the previous day from toys 'r' us and repainted. Didn't turn out badly for what it was.

http://www.lieberguitars.com/images/garcia/guitar%20a.jpg

I had fake track marks on my arm as well, which I don't think are visible in the picture, but were way disgusting nonetheless.

10-27-2006, 05:06 PM
FREEBIRD!!!!!!

Btw Doug, I remember those yellow logoed Digitech Foot pedals.....is that you? Werent those from the Digitech "Legend" processor?

rodltg2
10-27-2006, 05:12 PM
is dressing up as Dr. Howie Feltersnatch, Gynocologist appropiate??

flyingskibiker
10-27-2006, 05:17 PM
what? no crock' hunter w/ a stinger in your chest? i thought we were talking non PC... ;-)

east tx skier
10-27-2006, 05:41 PM
FREEBIRD!!!!!!

Btw Doug, I remember those yellow logoed Digitech Foot pedals.....is that you? Werent those from the Digitech "Legend" processor?

That's me, but the rigs, both at my feet and behind me, belonged to the band playing that night at the Last Concert Cafe, which I believe was the "Hightailers."

Davo
10-27-2006, 05:44 PM
I guess the priest with the inflatable junk is out of the question.

Serously, why is the pocohantas costume polictically incorrect? Are native americans ultra sensitive in your area? This is halloween for crying out loud. I hate to live my life worrying about what other people will think. From what I know, you're good people and I'm sure your wife is too. That said, the people should not take it the wrong way...just don't wear a cowboy costume.

east tx skier
10-27-2006, 05:50 PM
For what it's worth, I'm about 1/32 or some ridiculously small amount Cherokee. I am officially not offended.

10-27-2006, 05:53 PM
That's me, but the rigs, both at my feet and behind me, belonged to the band playing that night at the Last Concert Cafe, which I believe was the "Hightailers."
doesnt that look like a footswitch for a digitech legend???

captain planet
10-27-2006, 06:00 PM
If this isn't politically incorrect, I don't know what is. A buddy of mine while going to the University of Miami in Ohio had this really crazy roommate who dressed up as Superman and wheeled himself around in a wheel chair for the night. Pretty sick.

Compared to that, I think Pocohantas is OK.

east tx skier
10-27-2006, 06:09 PM
doesnt that look like a footswitch for a digitech legend???

I wouldn't know. I've got one digitech pedal and rarely use it.

10-27-2006, 06:21 PM
I wouldn't know. I've got one digitech pedal and rarely use it.
which digitech pedal you got?

rodltg2
10-27-2006, 06:34 PM
I guess the priest with the inflatable junk is out of the question.
Serously, why is the pocohantas costume polictically incorrect? Are native americans ultra sensitive in your area? This is halloween for crying out loud. I hate to live my life worrying about what other people will think. From what I know, you're good people and I'm sure your wife is too. That said, the people should not take it the wrong way...just don't wear a cowboy costume.

funny, my buddy wore that costume last night.

east tx skier
10-27-2006, 06:36 PM
which digitech pedal you got?

Make that two. One's a 4 second digital delay that I used to use in a loop with a whammy pedal and a boomarang.

The rest of my stuff is either from a different time or from various manufacturers.

Davo
10-27-2006, 07:25 PM
If this isn't politically incorrect, I don't know what is. A buddy of mine while going to the University of Miami in Ohio had this really crazy roommate who dressed up as Superman and wheeled himself around in a wheel chair for the night.
Wow...definately not PC!

Hoosier Bob
10-27-2006, 09:26 PM
Sorry I am late but Casey it is only not PC if you do not share the pics with the TT boys! I have pictured your wife as Pocohantas a few times myself!:o JK!
Great to be Casey!

east tx skier
10-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Just to jack this thread once again, I finally found the Morrison picture.

Chief
10-27-2006, 10:03 PM
Nobody will care, especially if she's hot.

Hoosier Bob
10-27-2006, 10:05 PM
SHE IS HOT! Much better than East Jim Mojo Riser anyway!

redmike
10-27-2006, 10:52 PM
G/F wants to wear white halter dress with shwaztika on forehead.......MARILYN MANSON.....pc or not?LOL

Hoosier Bob
10-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Ahem? removing the not so PC message!;) ) G/F wants to wear white halter dress with shwaztika on forehead.......MARILYN MANSON.....pc or not?LOL

Monte
10-27-2006, 10:57 PM
G/F wants to wear white halter dress with shwaztika on forehead.......MARILYN MANSON.....pc or not?LOL

Ummmmmmmmmm............hmmmmmmmmm........... :noface: :popcorn:
:twocents:

redmike
10-27-2006, 11:02 PM
that was my reaction....but hey what do I know