PDA

View Full Version : Applying Decals

jsonova99
12-16-2004, 12:43 PM
I'm curious how difficult it is to install new decals on a boat. I'm ordering replacement decals for my 190, and I'm very nervous about putting them on myself. Does anybody have any advice as far as how to do it or whether or not I should even tackle it myself? :confused:

MarkP
12-16-2004, 12:52 PM
Go for it man..:toast:

Memo
12-16-2004, 01:03 PM
jsonova99
Where did you order your decals? I have a 96 190 and dealer told me that decals are discontinued from MC. I am looking to replace all five. The color of the lettering is white. I would appreciate any help.

Marry Christmas :wavey: and Happy new year everyone!:friday:

jsonova99
12-16-2004, 01:09 PM
I haven't ordered them yet, but I talked to the guy at Bay Area Watersports in Tampa, FL about it and he just told me that they come in kits, and that I needed to get a picture of what I had because he had a few different options that he could order. He also said that the kits are about $85.

jsonova99
12-16-2004, 01:10 PM
Actually, one other question I had in addition to how to install the new decals, but what is the best way to remove the old ones?

G-man
12-16-2004, 01:40 PM
Using a hair dryer to loosen up the decal works well. Stuborn ones make require the use a heat gun. 3m glue remover works well for residual glue.

Spray the surface with a light coat of windex, position the decal wet with backing paper on the decal, squeege onto the surface with a credit card or similar piece of plastic, let windex dry up a little and peel backing paper off. The windex will let you move the position of the decal before you squeege.

east tx skier
12-16-2004, 02:04 PM
In lieu of Windex, soap and water in a spray bottle also works well. Make sure to squeegie it good to get all the air bubbles out. Spray the surface of the boat and the front of the decal so your squeegie moves fluidly across it.

jsonova99
12-16-2004, 02:10 PM
Any idea what a dealer might charge to do it for you? I can just picture in my mind what this is going to look like when I am done! We'll see how I'm feeling that day :eek:

east tx skier
12-16-2004, 02:14 PM
Probably more than it's worth. With soap and water spray, it's easy to get straight. As someone who has a lot of stuff professionally done on his boat, this is something I'd tackle myself.

jsonova99
12-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Wish me luck! I'll post some pics when I'm done

east tx skier
12-16-2004, 02:23 PM
Just make sure the surface is very clean.

tph
12-16-2004, 02:39 PM
I've also found it usefull to mark the upper, lower, left and right boundries of the original decal before removal. Small pieces of tape applied to the hull seem to work fine. It makes it easy to position the new decals in the proper location. Good luck!

jsonova99
12-16-2004, 02:42 PM
I was thinking the same thing with the tape. I guess the secret is patience, one of my weakest virtues!

east tx skier
12-16-2004, 04:03 PM
I've also found it usefull to mark the upper, lower, left and right boundries of the original decal before removal. Small pieces of tape applied to the hull seem to work fine. It makes it easy to position the new decals in the proper location. Good luck!

Good call.

Rockman
12-16-2004, 06:40 PM
Jsonova99,

The most important thing is to take your time!

You CAN do it. It's not that difficult. Just don't rush it and pay attention to what you are doing.

The boys have added some good ideas as ed above. One thing I would like to add is to mask off the area using masking tape What I mean is measure out where the letters need to start, how high off the water line, etc. Maks a line where the bottom of the letters will sit. Then tape the lettering up with masking tape to see how it will look. Adjust accordingly until you get it how you want it. The use the soap and water mix when actually sticking them on.

Then just repeat on the other side.

Just remember NOT to start peeling off the paper until are 100% sure you are ready.

Since the windshield on our BF200 is curved, I cut out each letter and put them on one by one. It took about an hour but it good great, better than straight across with spaces.

Thrall
03-07-2005, 11:18 AM
I was thinking the same thing with the tape. I guess the secret is patience, one of my weakest virtues!

The decals I got for my PS 190 were an absolute b!tch to apply. I think they were an old run of decals, because the transom decal went on fine, but it was a newer style decal.
The big side MC decals and little PS190 decals stuck to the cover sheet better than the boat. I spent a couple hrs per side just getting the top sheet off the decal w/o pulling the decal off the boat. What Ifinally resorted to was cutting the cover sheet into strips where it would not puul on a corner of a decal when removing it. This had to be done w/o cutting into the decal itself. I think I know what a surgeon feels like! 'Cept I had a 12 pack to calm my nerves during the surgery.
If you're upgradingto a newer style decal this may not be an issue.