PDA

View Full Version : Bush Signs Fence bill!!!

M-Funf
10-26-2006, 12:04 PM
700 miles of fencing will now be installed...:D

US-Mexico Fence (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061026/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_immigration_8)

3event
10-26-2006, 12:10 PM
It's a good start.

The "Guest Worker" program still stuck in Congress, but that might be a good thing. Not sure I'm on board with granting folks passes just for being here, while many many others are waiting in line and following the legally required procedures to immigrate legally.

Danimal
10-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Don't count on it. I believe it states that the money will be set aside for the fence. Sad as it may be, I doubt we will ever see it built

M-Funf
10-26-2006, 12:12 PM
Don't count on it. I believe it states that the money will be set aside for the fence. Sad as it may be, I doubt we will ever see it built

Dang, then just give me enough money for a BMG-50 and a license to use it :cool:

Maristar210
10-26-2006, 12:12 PM

US-Mexico Fence (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061026/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_immigration_8)

I hope they hook up to 3 phase 480v :rolleyes:

shepherd
10-26-2006, 12:19 PM

That guy sure loves to spend our money, doesn't he??? :rolleyes:

playtherapy
10-26-2006, 12:22 PM
I suppose in a few years money will have to be appropriated to maintain the fense! Whoopie, let's spend some more money!

Tryin-again
10-26-2006, 01:01 PM
You KNOW this will happen...... :D

JimN
10-26-2006, 01:57 PM
Anybody know where to find cheap labor for putting this thing up?

If they investigate later, how many illegals will have worked on it? Wanna have a pool? $1 a pick. C'mon! It'll be fun. It'll be just like driving into Wisconsin!

east tx skier
10-26-2006, 02:18 PM
I'm sure we can all agree. Problem solved. :rolleyes:

Monte
10-26-2006, 02:30 PM
Anybody know where to find cheap labor for putting this thing up?

If they investigate later, how many illegals will have worked on it? Wanna have a pool? $1 a pick. C'mon! It'll be fun. It'll be just like driving into Wisconsin!

That won't work! If the study was ever done the illegals would be working on the other side of the fence making them legal illegals:D

jraben8
10-26-2006, 02:42 PM
I was thinking the same thing. They will just work on the south side of it.

RexDog1
10-26-2006, 02:47 PM
One more waste of money :mad:
And about 10 years to late :mad:

boatless
10-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Yeah,
Why spending all that money to put up a fence knowing that they will find other easy way to cross. We cannot find a way to stop a squirrel from stealing the bird seeds, so how do you think we can stop people from crossing the border by putting up a wall ?

Maybe we just accept that, this problem could never be solve and just let them come as they please. :D and hope some day they will get tire of the US and leave on their own will...:rolleyes:

boatless.

LakePirate
10-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Who is getting the contract to build it? Haliburton?

jraben8
10-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Who else would you expect to get it!?!

LakePirate
10-26-2006, 06:59 PM
I wonder how much land the cronies of ol' W will get to sell to the Federal Government. And for how much.

Talk about can't help yourself.

TMCNo1
10-26-2006, 08:23 PM
You KNOW this will happen...... :D

I'll be making some money, painting all those "ladders for sale" signs! Yes, I am lefthanded!

redmike
10-26-2006, 09:16 PM
I can make that happen

twieder
10-26-2006, 09:32 PM

Thats not enough juice. Some boltcutters have enough insulation to handle that. I was thinkin 200,000 volts powered rite off Hoover Dam! If the gov. is smart(:purplaugh :cry: :purplaugh ) they'd buiry it about 10 feet deep to keep the weasels from diggin under!

atlfootr
10-27-2006, 09:11 AM
Anybody know where to find cheap labor for putting this thing up?I found a crew, that maybe interested :rolleyes:

atlfootr
10-27-2006, 09:26 AM
If that's not enough, here's a few more :uglyhamme

RexDog1
10-27-2006, 09:42 AM
What I can say, they have so much respect for the US :rant:

Mexican flag stunt in Maywood

RexDog1
10-27-2006, 09:44 AM
Hoisting the Mexican flag at a US post office:rant:

SD190EVO
10-27-2006, 09:48 AM
Politicians on both sides of the isle do not want to secure the Mexican border. Ask and they will tell you they do not want to vote against the Hospitality and Travel industry/lobby.

The freakin' border needs to be secure but any real effort to get it secured will have to be a grass-roots effort.

Dont look to either side to get this done for you.

jbfootin
10-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Funny article from the onion http://www.theonion.com/content/node/47978

Now we just have to put up a fence to keep our jobs from going south!:cool:

Davo
10-27-2006, 10:33 AM
I'm sure we can all agree. Problem solved. :rolleyes:
NO...but at least they're doing something!

Of course, here is what the media wants you to believe about the "why" of this move (from the first freaking line of that article): "President Bush signed a bill Thursday authorizing 700 miles of new fencing along the U.S.-Mexico border, hoping to give Republican candidates a pre-election platform for asserting they're tough on illegal immigration.

The media is perpetuating a climate of distrust toward government! At what point in history did we all start to believe that our government is not "by the people, for the people"? I am a skeptic myself and almost always read between the lines, but I also like to have a little faith in people. If you want to believe that this admin is positioning it's party for the upcoming elections and could care less about listening to the people and responding by trying to prevent more illegals from entering the country - go right ahead, but don't feed it to the sheeple.

Just like with Social Security, there are no easy answers here but at least this admin is trying to address these problems....or maybe they aren't problems after all and we should do nothing?!?!?!

east tx skier
10-27-2006, 11:03 AM

Of course, here is what the media wants you to believe about the "why" of this move (from the first freaking line of that article): "President Bush signed a bill Thursday authorizing 700 miles of new fencing along the U.S.-Mexico border, hoping to give Republican candidates a pre-election platform for asserting they're tough on illegal immigration.

The media is perpetuating a climate of distrust toward government! At what point in history did we all start to believe that our government is not "by the people, for the people"? I am a skeptic myself and almost always read between the lines, but I also like to have a little faith in people. If you want to believe that this admin is positioning it's party for the upcoming elections and could care less about listening to the people and responding by trying to prevent more illegals from entering the country - go right ahead, but don't feed it to the sheeple.

Just like with Social Security, there are no easy answers here but at least this admin is trying to address these problems....or maybe they aren't problems after all and we should do nothing?!?!?!

You got all that from "problem solved"?

Please don't assume that I'm influenced by the media. I find it all to be about 95% garbage. My statement was not directed at the "why" of things. I'll assume for argument's sake that they're putting the fence up because they actually believe it will curb illegal immigration as opposed to some sort of political facade. That is, in fact, a pretty good leap as I have been observant of the head of this administration's campaigns since they were on the state level. No blow too low would be an apt description in my opinion. Not that that's unique to one party or the other. Politicians are here to make lawyer's feel better. But I digress.

I have a lot of trouble believing that a fence is going to do any more good keeping people out than one ever did keeping my dog in my backyard. If there's a will to overcome it, then it is likely to be overcome. I think it's apparent that the will is there.

As for the notion of "at least they're doing something," I guess I just expect a little better. Something is not de facto better than nothing. It all depends on what "something" is. If there's a significant reduction in illegal immigration (enough to justify the high monetary cost), I'll happily eat my words. But my present feeling is that we are spending a lot of money on something that will accomplish little more than doing nothing. If we can pause live T.V., or if we can fit my entire music library in my pocket, we can surely do better than a fence.

Finally, I always begin by presuming the good in people. After that, I let their actions dictate my feelings about them. As I sit here today, I am presently unwilling to take what the current powers that be say at face value.

I am politically unaffiliated.

PendO
10-27-2006, 11:03 AM
So, is Halliburton going to build the fence ???

LakePirate
10-27-2006, 11:08 AM

Ok there Davo, I see what you are saying but election year politics are nothing new. Let's take Georgia for example, the State Government has passed a bill that is unbelievable absurd as well as unenforceable. They have added to the Sex Offender Law that registered sex offenders cannot live within so many feet of a bus stop (a constantly moving target). There were already restrictions on schools, churches and day cares. There are some counties where a registered sex offender cannot even legally live, the author's exact plan. Now who wants to be an incumbent who is running for re-election and vote against a sex crimes bill? No one. Same thing here. Is this going to solve the problem, no way. But it is a feeble attempt to appease the sheeple as you call them, sure. Popular legislature for the current party in control. Same deal, you mr/mrs elected official vote against this and you are labeled soft on Terrorism and securing our borders. I would love to have the faith in the Government that they are doing the right thing, but in an election year most that goes right out the window.

I will agree with you that some media outlets are often times perpetuating their own agenda. But it is what it is, once again the sheeple come to mind.

/not affiliated with any political party

PendO
10-27-2006, 11:12 AM
Soldiers dying in Iraq and Afghanistan (problem)

North Korea potentially having nuclear technology (problem)

Iran ... (problem)

Venezuela ... (problem)

A fence to separate the US from Mexico ... "priceless" ... for everything else there's Visa:)

east tx skier
10-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Soldiers dying in Iraq and Afghanistan (problem)

North Korea potentially having nuclear technology (problem)

Iran ... (problem)

Venezuela ... (problem)

A fence to separate the US from Mexico ... "priceless" ... for everything else there's Visa:)

LOL! They don't need a visa.

http://www.craftyframes.co.uk/images/john%20thompson/sports/pole-vault.jpg

Davo
10-27-2006, 01:09 PM
You got all that from "problem solved"?

Please don't assume that I'm influenced by the media. I find it all to be about 95% garbage. My statement was not directed at the "why" of things. I'll assume for argument's sake that they're putting the fence up because they actually believe it will curb illegal immigration as opposed to some sort of political facade. That is, in fact, a pretty good leap as I have been observant of the head of this administration's campaigns since they were on the state level. No blow too low would be an apt description in my opinion. Not that that's unique to one party or the other. Politicians are here to make lawyer's feel better. But I digress.

I have a lot of trouble believing that a fence is going to do any more good keeping people out than one ever did keeping my dog in my backyard. If there's a will to overcome it, then it is likely to be overcome. I think it's apparent that the will is there.

As for the notion of "at least they're doing something," I guess I just expect a little better. Something is not de facto better than nothing. It all depends on what "something" is. If there's a significant reduction in illegal immigration (enough to justify the high monetary cost), I'll happily eat my words. But my present feeling is that we are spending a lot of money on something that will accomplish little more than doing nothing. If we can pause live T.V., or if we can fit my entire music library in my pocket, we can surely do better than a fence.

Finally, I always begin by presuming the good in people. After that, I let their actions dictate my feelings about them. As I sit here today, I am presently unwilling to take what the current powers that be say at face value.

I am politically unaffiliated.

No, only the first line of my post was directed at you, the rest was just a general observation.

There are no easy answers to illegal immigration, but you have to start somewhere and why not by putting up a fence? Of course it won't be the end-all solution, but I believe it will make a difference.

I guess politicians will never shake the blanket of distrust they get covered with...

Monte
10-27-2006, 02:10 PM
The fence is a start but we as a country have got to stop being so stinkin hospitable.... Stop giving everybody else (illegals) a free ride.. The basic mindset seems to be "if you can make it past this mark in the sand you can collect from a system from which you never paid into" We'll pay you under the table so you still don't have to pay into the system, then we'll give you free healthcare, etc just b/c you're here.. almost every automated voicemail I know of states "habla espanol primero numero uno" what the hell??? If every citizen would take a step back and deny whatever widget to those with no green card.. we might make a dent.. If they show up at a hospital: give the treatment, but have immigration waiting when they get released.. Its not like the healthcare facility will get paid anyway... For everything else "ABSOLUTELY NO TRASACTIONS WITHOUT A PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP" No job, no license, no food, no clothing.... eventually the problem may solve itself.. maybe some illegals would leave...

shepherd
10-27-2006, 02:18 PM
For everything else "ABSOLUTELY NO TRASACTIONS WITHOUT A PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP" No job, no license, no food, no clothing.... eventually the problem may solve itself.. maybe some illegals would leave...

I can see the "no job" part, but I'd hate to have to show my passport every time I want to buy some Twinkies... :rolleyes:

east tx skier
10-27-2006, 02:23 PM
No, only the first line of my post was directed at you, the rest was just a general observation.

There are no easy answers to illegal immigration, but you have to start somewhere and why not by putting up a fence? Of course it won't be the end-all solution, but I believe it will make a difference.

I guess politicians will never shake the blanket of distrust they get covered with...

Gotcha. Then only one of the too many paragraphs I wrong will be the response. I agree, no way there is an easy answer. As to how much of difference the fence actually makes, time will tell.

Like I said, politicians exist so that lawyers like me can have someone to pick on. :)

Monte
10-27-2006, 02:27 PM
I can see the "no job" part, but I'd hate to have to show my passport every time I want to buy some Twinkies... :rolleyes:

That is little extreme I agree.. But a man can dream.. wouldn't work anyway.. There'd be people that would make a killing simply going to to grocery store on a daily basis..:rolleyes:
As for the ID... I'd gladly carry it... If it relieved me of some of the Apr 14th burden....:rolleyes:

east tx skier
10-27-2006, 02:31 PM
I'd gladly carry it... If it relieved me of some of the Apr 14th burden....:rolleyes:

It wouldn't. With the amount of debt we are carrying, I am not able to vizualize a scenario where we will be paying less in taxes any time in the near future. I am, admitedly, no economist though.

Tryin-again
10-27-2006, 02:39 PM
I cannot say anything about a fence in Cali..Ariz Etc... But I spend alot of time on ranches ON the border of Texas.... Looking at the maps of where they want to put fences I think it is a waste... Anyone would just change their route and come in at another spot.
The map I saw had the peice of fence ending at Eagle Pass, TX. I was just at a BBQ on the river - American side - and I could have loaded a dozen of the guys up there and driven to anywhere in the country without passing a checkpoint...

Granted there are border patrol around - but no checkpoints.. I personally think there are other ways to Slow them down, and also make it harder once they get here to get jobs, services, etc...

Oh, By the way, Halliburton won't get the job because they are spinning off their construction unit (KBR) - KBR will get the job.... :D

(The sad thing is many will think that "at least Hal didn't get it")

Monte
10-27-2006, 02:43 PM
It wouldn't. With the amount of debt we are carrying, I am not able to vizualize a scenario where we will be paying less in taxes any time in the near future. I am, admitedly, no economist though.

That is the gospel:rolleyes: Guess I'll just have to count on the $400/child I get to deduct for having kids.... and have a lot more kids!!

east tx skier
10-27-2006, 02:46 PM
Just remember what Rodney Dangerfield once said, "The best part about kids ... is makin' 'em."

I love this video about midterm elections (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FcZJqqA2AI).

PS, you may want to keep the volume down if you have a boss within earshot.

Davo
10-27-2006, 04:16 PM
I hear you Monte - we're all paying for them and we're making it too easy on them. In the long term we'll have to change that to be effective, but in the short term the fence is not a bad idea. The fence won't stop them all, but I'd like to think the patrol will be more effective with 700 miles less border to monitor.

Stop the bleeding and then decide what to do with the 12 million that are already here illegally.

PendO
10-27-2006, 05:56 PM
I hear you Monte - we're all paying for them and we're making it too easy on them.

Actually, the fact that illegal aliens sometime use fake SS# is actually a windfall to the SS system, they are paying in and will never get to collect ... kinda like me, I'm 30 and paying in, and by the time I get to retirement age it will be insolvent:) So, while it does put a strain on the State infrastructure, it is somewhat of a windfall to the federal government in increased SS earnings and increased income taxes on the individual who is able to increase their profit margin due to the cheap labor.

What is more disturbint to me is the LOW wages immigrant workers (undocumented ones) get paid .... here they come and bust there asses and get paid less than minimum wage so some American capitalist can get his product to market without "true" labor costs ... one way or another the playing field needs to be leveled ... IF America is going to close down the borders they need to go after the Employers first ... you cannot blame someone trying to come across the border (as porous as it is) so that they can find work to send money back home.

And, given the choice, I'll bet that the immigrant laborers would gladly sign up for citizenship and pay their fair share of state and local taxes.

If your child was sick, and you were broke, and only a sheet of glass separated you from the medicine in the pharmacy how long would it take you to break the glass?

Davo
10-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Actually, the fact that illegal aliens sometime use fake SS# is actually a windfall to the SS system, they are paying in and will never get to collect ... kinda like me, I'm 30 and paying in, and by the time I get to retirement age it will be insolvent:)
LOL...good point. I wonder how much....and I'm not counting on it either.

SS is another tough issue I brought up earlier that this admin has tried to tackle. From what I can tell those efforts didn't produce much, but it was at least being discussed and raising awareness for the next generation of voters. I wonder if that push for SS reform was in an election year. :rolleyes:

suedv
10-27-2006, 06:23 PM
I think I know why they are putting the fence up. This will give people something to puzzle over for many years and then someone will come up with the idea to take it down. Every museum in the country will want a piece of it for display. It will be a big historical event like the Berlin Wall. Historians need a way to make a living dontchano.

jpattigr
11-01-2006, 12:37 AM
As A Canadian it is interesting that the same US Goverment is going to spend Huge $ to build a Virtual fence along the Northern Border!!
I guess all the singers and Comedians from Canada are stealing too many jobs in LA.