PDA

View Full Version : New spin on Beer Butt Chicken

richardsoncd
10-26-2006, 11:31 AM
I am thinking of trying a new spin on the beer butt chicken this weekend.....anyone tried putting the chicken over direct heat first to get the outside nice and seared...then beer butt it and roast over indirect heat? I usually mop it with a vinegar mop at this point...just thinking it will trap the juices in even more and make the skin that much more delicious.

Any input on this idea or should I just stick to the basics?

Thanks

M-Funf
10-26-2006, 11:36 AM
Sounds really good! What time's dinner? :D

richardsoncd
10-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Sounds really good! What time's dinner? :D

Just before kickoff.....if you're ever this way, I'm known for my barbeque

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Yea, I hope you brought enough for EVERYBODY!

http://www.scvhistory.com/gif/lw2145g.jpg

loeweb
10-26-2006, 12:27 PM
The best I've ever done was actually with coke and garlic. First, rub the bird with kosher salt and let sit for about 20 minutes. be sure to rinse the salt off twice as it says on the box of kosher i got. The salt flavor is really over powering if you leave it on. I next put in the coke with about 2 cloves of garlic and let it cook. turned out great and smelled awesome cooking.

playtherapy
10-26-2006, 12:30 PM
Do you have one of those little stands or do you just put the bird on the can?

loeweb
10-26-2006, 12:58 PM
I have a stand, but have used the can and then put some bricks wrapped in foil around it too. Probably the best and easiest way to do a chicken. Easy cleanup.

richardsoncd
10-26-2006, 01:55 PM
I also use the rack...I usually add chipolte pepper, and garlic, thyme, rosemary to a half full beer, then plug the neck hole with a carved potato...then rub the outside with pork rub (for the sweet) and mop with apple cider vinegar as it cooks....

I am just wondering if anyone has ever seared the skin before racking it and cooking it on the beer

loeweb
10-26-2006, 03:00 PM
What is a vinegar mop? I've never heard of this before. Love vinegar though.

richardsoncd
10-26-2006, 03:06 PM
What is a vinegar mop? I've never heard of this before. Love vinegar though.

well you can either "mop it on" or spray it, I spray it...mine is a mixture of apple cider vinegar, water, season salt, and tabasco...about every 30 minutes I spray the outside of the chicken with it....it crisps it up nice while adding some moisture and seasoning.