PDA

View Full Version : Would this work as a heater?!

rhsprostar
10-25-2006, 05:24 PM
What do you guys think of this?

rhsprostar
10-25-2006, 05:29 PM
i will try again with the pic

east tx skier
10-25-2006, 05:53 PM
No images appearing on my end.

justinlkgb
10-25-2006, 05:54 PM
Need pics .....

rhsprostar
10-25-2006, 06:19 PM
does this work?

rhsprostar
10-25-2006, 07:16 PM
Finally got a picture up.
The price is in Canadian dollars so the US price is lower.
I think it would do a great job for the driver.
Maybe a second for the passenger side!

H20skeefreek
10-25-2006, 07:22 PM
why don't you try making a campfire?

TMCNo1
10-25-2006, 07:40 PM
Can you say Kerosun Heater?

nuckinfutz
10-25-2006, 07:43 PM
does this work?

I would venture to say it would work...

It doesn’t say boat on the side so that should save you some dough! Heaters in the boats are relatively simple creatures. Heater core and some fans connected to tubes that route to the outside. With that it looks like you would have to construct a hood to route the air into the tube(s). Then you’re average dryer hose could work to get you to the destination. Im sure the hose that MC sells isn’t that expensive as well as the bezels that you will use to attach to the deck. Be sure to test out how powerful those fans are if you get a chance, you may find there not going to be powerful enough to push air out a 10-15’ tube(s) to your liking.

Just some thoughts…..

rhsprostar
10-25-2006, 08:09 PM
I thought that you could just put it under the dash without the hoses as it is an enclosed unit and it should do a nice job of heating up the driver. The three speed fan has almost as many CFM's as the heatercraft. It would be plumbed in extactly the same way as your conventional heater.

cwright
10-25-2006, 08:17 PM
my 2 cents. According to your profile you have a 93 205. What a cool boat. As you work on it (and there will be projects a plenty), your investment will pay dividends if you do things and use brands that are recognized, especially by other direct drive people and/or MC owners. I think the original heaters are made by Heatercraft (or something like that), and it is basic technology, but it is also designed for a boat. Should you ever want to sell your boat a prospective buyer would probably expect a boat heater system, and my belief is that non-boat solutions can devalue a boat. You can probably save some dough going with a heater core from who knows where, but I would encourage you to spend the extra coin, buy the original. It will go in easier, and you'll be proud of it every time you use it. PS, I believe the tubes are a must.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-26-2006, 07:45 AM
especially by other direct drive people and/or MC owners. I think the original heaters are made by Heatercraft (or something like that), and it is basic technology, but it is also designed for a boat. Should you ever want to sell your boat a prospective buyer would probably expect a boat heater system, and my belief is that non-boat solutions can devalue a boat. You can probably save some dough going with a heater core from who knows where, but I would encourage you to spend the extra coin, buy the original. It will go in easier, and you'll be proud of it every time you use it. PS, I believe the tubes are a must.
Agreed..........;)

beef
10-26-2006, 08:46 AM
Agreed..........;)

x2. You just can't beat being able to direct the heat where you need it. Contact HeaterCraft directly for the best price.

bigmac
10-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Agreed. IMHO it would be a shame to save a few bucks by cobbling together a half-measure on a great boat like yours. HeaterCraft is the standard for boat heaters. They work, the company is top-notch, their equipment is good and they stand behind it.

SkidDim sells HeaterCraft (http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1020). I don't know how the prices stack up, but the prices HeaterCraft have quoted me were a little higher than SkiDim's on replacement cores.

http://www.skidim.com/images/2103.jpg

Maristar210
10-26-2006, 09:45 AM
Is it electrically powered? Picture is hard to see but that thing made me think of electrical shock right away. I could be wrong though.

Steve

cwright
10-26-2006, 11:13 AM
It uses heater hoses from the engine to circulate hot water through the core. There is a 12V fan of course, but the acutal heat is from engine water. An electric heater would actually have advantages, like instant heat, and heat with the engine off, but I believe the amp draw would be too high. So water it is. The standard re-circ system has a valve in it so you can stop the flow from the engine and remove the heater if needed.

JimN
10-26-2006, 11:53 AM
Can't you just put some white gas in a bucket? Can you say "Darwin, here I come!"?

rhsprostar
10-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Actually the product looks to be good quality. Materials and fabrication seem to be top notch.
It works the same way the heatercraft one does, with an enclosed core with hot water circulating through it from the engine.
It has a 12V 3 speed fan and is designed for industrial/farm use.
Sorry about the quality of the pic. If you want to check it out for yourself got to www.princessauto.com and check out the current flyer i think it was page 5.

NeilM
10-27-2006, 12:00 AM
Rhsprostar, I gotta agree with the others. You have a great boat, the Canadian dollar is doing well; spring for the real thing from Heatercraft.
The one from Princess Auto will definitely heat the driver fine, but the heatercraft one has a heat tube to warm others as well. (The whole kit is about $400 usd..)

If your basic question is 'will it work', then the answer is 'yes'.. there is absolutely nothing special about how the Heatercraft one is made... coolant flows through it, the fan extracts the heat.

If you do decide to go with the one from Princess Auto, mount it up high, out of sight. It looks like it belongs in the cab of a Massey Ferguson. If your riders see you're nice and warm while they're freezing, you may end up overboard.

just my two Canadian cents...

NeilM

bigmac
10-27-2006, 07:43 AM
Other thing to consider is how to mount the princess heater. On later model boats (don't know about 1993's) MasterCraft has mounting plates already glassed into the deck specific to fit a HeaterCraft heater in a location where a HeaterCraft can be mounted out of the way of feet, knees and cables - in fact not visible at all behind the kick panel. This heater looks like it would have to be mounted to the driver's kick panel with the hoses going through it - actually mounted in the cockpit.

I'll bet it would work fine though - the HeaterCraft 2H puts out more substantially more heat and more airflow, but I've seen guys post here with similar heaters they've made out of wood and an old salvaged heater core. Not exactly an elegant installation but worked fine.

H20skeefreek
11-17-2006, 04:01 PM
what did you decide to do?