PDA

View Full Version : do you get a flu shot?

milkmania
10-25-2006, 12:53 PM
was discussing flu shots with some people I know...

I never get a flu shot, and haven't had the flu in over 20 years.
I hear that people that get them are sick as the flu for a while afterwards.

Mikey
10-25-2006, 12:59 PM
Its mandatory for me to get it once a year. Medics tell me that its a myth that you get a mild flu right after the shot. I dont believe them. I feel symptoms for a few days every time I get it.

TMCNo1
10-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Get one every year with no after effects and have been getting them for over 20 years.

east tx skier
10-25-2006, 01:02 PM
I don't get the shots. I will get sick. I don't worry about it. Most everyone I know who gets the shots gets sick anyway. And yes, many I know will feel symptoms from the shot alone. I recall one person who was extremely sick for 3 weeks after getting the flu shot some years ago. I'll pass.

bigmac
10-25-2006, 01:06 PM
I never get a flu shot, and haven't had the flu in over 20 years.

Heh heh...I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've heard that...;)

I hear that people that get them are sick as the flu for a while afterwards.

Nah. It's an inactivated virus. Another medical myth, like catching cold or pneumonia if you go out in the rain and get wet, or get cramps from swimming after eating, or that vitamins help your energy levels.

I get a flu shot every year. Where I work, there are people literally cruising the halls with little carts giving flu shots on the fly. Whether a flu shot will be effective or not depends on how well the CDC happened to guess the prevalent flu strain that particular year. I personally don't think they're all that accurate, but I get a flu shot anyway on the basis of "can't hurt, might help", as well as the fact that it doesn't cost me anything, it's not inconvenient, and it's easier than continually refusing the overzealous flu nazis day after day after day each fall.

east tx skier
10-25-2006, 01:11 PM
Nah. It's an inactivated virus. Another medical myth, like catching cold or pneumonia if you go out in the rain and get wet, or get cramps from swimming after eating, or that vitamins help your energy levels.

In the case of my close friend, I suppose it could have just been a coincidence. But he was extremely ill with flu-like symptoms starting the day after he received the flu shot and continuing for three weeks thereafter.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-25-2006, 01:19 PM
Hey I could use a good toaster!;)

I typically get a flu shot every year. I either did not get the flu, or rarely I got it, but it was very mild. I did get a flu shot this year, and I will continue. The reason? I did not get a flu shot last year and I got the flu something fierce! I was out of work for a week. I was on the couch or in bed for 7 days straight! Classic flu, chills, body aches, fever. My dam hair even hurt! I went to the doctor, he examined me and told me to go home, STAY in bed, monitor my temp and notify him if it got into a dangerous range. He told me the standard stuff, drink fluids, stay in bed, and said to take ibuprofen(advil), then two hours after that, take acetominophen(tylenol), then two hours after that take the advil again, and keep rotating. that keep the aches down to a reasonable level. I was sick! I am 33 yrs old, in good health, and eat right, excercise often, etc.... so I am probably in the healthiest group of people to best fight the flu virus and it knocked the **** out of me! I have never been sicker in my life. So I am a believer in the flu shots. I wont go without one again. call me goofy if you want. It became easy to see why its so important for the elderly to get flu shots. Man, if that flu beat the he11 out of a healthy, 30 something yr old, it could be very dangerous for an elderly person.

my 2 cents...

What do our medical friends here on the board have to say about them?

bigmac
10-25-2006, 01:24 PM
..I should add that, flu shot notwithstanding, I keep a bunch of TamiFlu and/or Relenza around. If taken within 24 hours of flu symptoms, those meds will significantly reduce the course of the flu or colds.

10-25-2006, 01:45 PM
..I should add that, flu shot notwithstanding, I keep a bunch of TamiFlu and/or Relenza around. If taken within 24 hours of flu symptoms, those meds will significantly reduce the course of the flu or colds.
Bigmac, whats your opinion of Airborne? Now I understand that the common cold, and flus are viruses and cannot be treated with anitbiotics, but what do you think of those from a medical stand point? I know there is no miracle cures for these ailments, but airborne claims to provide your body with key vitamins, and herbs that help your immune system function better to fight the viruses more effectively.

I have used the airborne before when I have gotten colds, and they really seem to help. They dont "cure" me, but they do greatly reduce the severity of symptoms, and the duration of the cold. I have recommended it to freinds, co workers, and family that have gotten similar results. just curoius what you think of that?? do these really work or is it just the placebo effect?:confused:

Leroy
10-25-2006, 01:47 PM
I used to get the flu every year, but started watching my health and taking some herbal remedies when I sense trouble and have not had a cold or flu in 6 years, knock on wood!

milkmania
10-25-2006, 01:55 PM
Bigmac, whats your opinion of Airborne? Now I understand that the common cold, and flus are viruses and cannot be treated with anitbiotics, but what do you think of those from a medical stand point? I know there is no miracle cures for these ailments, but airborne claims to provide your body with key vitamins, and herbs that help your immune system function better to fight the viruses more effectively.

I have used the airborne before when I have gotten colds, and they really seem to help. They dont "cure" me, but they do greatly reduce the severity of symptoms, and the duration of the cold. I have recommended it to freinds, co workers, and family that have gotten similar results. just curoius what you think of that?? do these really work or is it just the placebo effect?:confused:

good movie!!!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0121974/

8p

bigmac
10-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Bigmac, whats your opinion of Airborne?

"Airborne" was created by a school teacher, and was featured on the Oprah Winfrey show. I feel the same way about "Airborne" as I do about STP or other such oil additives. PT Barnum put it best.....

These herbal remedies and other holistic nostrums have absolutely no science behind them. Take it for whatever you feel it's worth, but as a scientist I am obliged to look for scientific evidence of any particular medical treatment, not a bunch anecdotal testimonials on late-night infomercials and a school teacher giving health advice on the Oprah Winfrey show.

Anecdotes are powerful "proof", though, to many, many people. Over the years, I have learned never to try to talk people out of that stuff. When they tell me they take it, I nod and smile, as long as I'm sure they're not being harmed by it. If they ask my opinion - I tell 'em...but they usually don't.

Mag_Red
10-25-2006, 02:00 PM
Hey I could use a good toaster!;)

I typically get a flu shot every year. I either did not get the flu, or rarely I got it, but it was very mild. I did get a flu shot this year, and I will continue. The reason? I did not get a flu shot last year and I got the flu something fierce! I was out of work for a week. I was on the couch or in bed for 7 days straight! Classic flu, chills, body aches, fever. My dam hair even hurt! I went to the doctor, he examined me and told me to go home, STAY in bed, monitor my temp and notify him if it got into a dangerous range. He told me the standard stuff, drink fluids, stay in bed, and said to take ibuprofen(advil), then two hours after that, take acetominophen(tylenol), then two hours after that take the advil again, and keep rotating. that keep the aches down to a reasonable level. I was sick! I am 33 yrs old, in good health, and eat right, excercise often, etc.... so I am probably in the healthiest group of people to best fight the flu virus and it knocked the **** out of me! I have never been sicker in my life. So I am a believer in the flu shots. I wont go without one again. call me goofy if you want. It became easy to see why its so important for the elderly to get flu shots. Man, if that flu beat the he11 out of a healthy, 30 something yr old, it could be very dangerous for an elderly person.

my 2 cents...

you aren't refering to me now are you:D

TMCNo1
10-25-2006, 02:15 PM

My wife tried Airborne last year and it didn't work for her and our daughter tried it, because she is a Nurse Anesthetist in the operating room and it didn't work for her either. Both got colds and it didn't help to treat them either.

10-25-2006, 02:26 PM
"Airborne" was created by a school teacher, and was featured on the Oprah Winfrey show. I feel the same way about "Airborne" as I do about STP or other such oil additives. PT Barnum put it best.....

These herbal remedies and other holistic nostrums have absolutely no science behind them. Take it for whatever you feel it's worth, but as a scientist I am obliged to look for scientific evidence of any particular medical treatment, not a bunch anecdotal testimonials on late-night infomercials and a school teacher giving health advice on the Oprah Winfrey show.

Anecdotes are powerful "proof", though, to many, many people. Over the years, I have learned never to try to talk people out of that stuff. When they tell me they take it, I nod and smile, as long as I'm sure they're not being harmed by it. If they ask my opinion - I tell 'em...but they usually don't.

Bigmac, I hear you. I am a "doubting thomas" or skeptic. but I thought, what they hay, give it a try. My dad is the biggest skeptic in the world. he dont belive in ANYthing like that. He is totaly imperical, scientific, no BS type of guy, and he painfully admits that he thinks the airborne actually does work. Now, I remember the episode of MASH where Hawkeye gave Klinger those placebo pills telling him they counter the effects of extreme hot temps when he was sufering in the heat. and all of a sudden Klinger is running around in full uniform feeling cool as a cucumber because of the fake pills he was taking. the mind is a powerful thing. that is a good example of how people really buy into things. I dont get into all that infomercial BS stuff, but I have to say that from personal expereince, the airborne stuff works for me. Either it REALLY works, or its just a placebo and my mind thinks Its benefiting me. Which, I dont know. But I dont think it can hurt me, so I use it.

captain planet
10-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Never get the shot, haven't had the flu since 1996. The shot is a tremendous waste of money, IMO.

Besides, the flu shot has ethylmercury (thimersol) preservative in it. Mercury makes you dumb and I need all the help I can get.

10-25-2006, 02:28 PM
you aren't refering to me now are you:D
Yes, Yes sir I am! :D Get yo arse to the docta and get a flu shot NOW!;)

10-25-2006, 02:29 PM
Besides, the flu shot has ethylmercury (thimersol) preservative in it. Mercury makes you dumb and I need all the help I can get.
So THAT is why Hoosier Bob is like that then! 8p

bigmac
10-25-2006, 02:30 PM
Bigmac, I hear you. I am a "doubting thomas" or skeptic. but I thought, what they hay, give it a try. My dad is the biggest skeptic in the world. he dont belive in ANYthing like that. He is totaly imperical, scientific, no BS type of guy, and he painfully admits that he thinks the airborne actually does work. Now, I remember the episode of MASH where Hawkeye gave Klinger those placebo pills telling him they counter the effects of extreme hot temps when he was sufering in the heat. and all of a sudden Klinger is running around in full uniform feeling cool as a cucumber because of the fake pills he was taking. the mind is a powerful thing. that is a good example of how people really buy into things. I dont get into all that infomercial BS stuff, but I have to say that from personal expereince, the airborne stuff works for me. Either it REALLY works, or its just a placebo and my mind thinks Its benefiting me. Which, I dont know. But I dont think it can hurt me, so I use it.....nodding and smiling....:)

10-25-2006, 02:35 PM
....nodding and smiling....
ten-four on that nod and smile good buddy......:o :o

:uglyhamme :D

10-25-2006, 02:39 PM
Bigmac, I am sitting here laughing to myself thinking, OK UMP, why dont you just ride a white horse from east to west, get out some "eye of Newt" and rub it on my earlobes and roll some chicken bones on the floor next time you get a sniffley nose....that will probably do just as well:uglyhamme :uglyhamme

bigmac
10-25-2006, 02:49 PM
Never get the shot, haven't had the flu since 1996. The shot is a tremendous waste of money, IMO.

Studies have repeately shown that even a minor flu epidemic such as we see every year is a far bigger waste of money than flu shots. Flu shots are cost-effective, the rationale for them in the first place.

As to mercury, most flu vaccines are thimersol free, and those that aren't have less mercury in them than the last piece of fish you ate. And even that dose of mercury is only hazardous to certain groups of people..ie pregnant women and children under two, and that's only if you believe the (absolutely unproven) link between mercury and autism in children.

east tx skier
10-25-2006, 03:15 PM
....nodding and smiling....:)

LOL! I'm with you. I'd be willing to bet that an extra hand washing or seven throughout the course of a day would be far more effective and cost effective than dropping money on that echinacea/vitamin C cocktail (not to discount the benefits of vitamin c).

10-25-2006, 03:25 PM
LOL! I'm with you. I'd be willing to bet that an extra hand washing or seven throughout the course of a day would be far more effective and cost effective than dropping money on that echinacea/vitamin C cocktail (not to discount the benefits of vitamin c).
Oh sure Eastie, just take HIS side because he is a doctor....8p ;)

east tx skier
10-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Well, not completely. I'm not getting a flu shot.

People get sick. Especially people with little kids like me. If it happens, it happens. I'm not paying extra for the warranty.

10-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Well, not completely. I'm not getting a flu shot.

People get sick. Especially people with little kids like me. If it happens, it happens. I'm not paying extra for the warranty.
I am just given ya a hard time:D Roll with it baby!

Workin' 4 Toys
10-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Oh sure Eastie, just take HIS side because he is a doctor....8p ;)
There is no "Doctor" that can help you.......Besides.. He said "Scientist"....That's what you need.....8p

east tx skier
10-25-2006, 03:40 PM
There is no "Doctor" that can help you.......Besides.. He said "Scientist"....That's what you need.....8p

"Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a scientist." ;)

LakePirate
10-25-2006, 03:45 PM

Or less effective, as the germs that your body needs so that it builds up immunities on it's on are reduced.

President of the not washing my hands every five minutes with some sort of antibacterial cleaner club.

What do you think about this theory Big Mac?

I see people today who are freaks about cleanliness. The constant scrubbing of hands with purell, scrubbing every surface they encounter with whatever antibacterial chemical they can find. Then they get really sick. I personally believe that they are not getting the germs in small doses that they need to build effective antibodies. Thus leading them to a more severe infection/virus because their immune system is so inept it cannot fight it off.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-25-2006, 03:57 PM
LP..Does this have anything to do with the 5 second rule now becoming the 10 second rule. Perhaps with the 5 second rule we were pushing the envelope a touch too far and not getting out necessary "treatments"..;)

Edit: For those that do not know the "rules" as stated above... The time frame allowed for food to fall onto the earth's surface and set there until it can be handled again and eaten....:purplaugh

dog paw
10-25-2006, 04:00 PM

I said the same thing for a long time. Got the flu 2 years ago, flu turned to pnumonia. Bout killed me! Week in the hospital trying to hack crap out of my lungs that could pass for RTV sealant. Finally found some strong antibio's that felt like battery acid going in the IV to knock it out. That "smell of death" you get in your head still rings clear in my mind. NASTY!

I'm "only" in my 40's, I pity a old timer that gets that crap. I dont think I could put a price on going through that again

bigmac
10-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Or less effective, as the germs that your body needs so that it builds up immunities on it's on are reduced.

President of the not washing my hands every five minutes with some sort of antibacterial cleaner club.

I see people today who are freaks about cleanliness. The constant scrubbing of hands with purell, scrubbing every surface they encounter with whatever antibacterial chemical they can find. Then they get really sick. I personally believe that they are not getting the germs in small doses that they need to build effective antibodies. Thus leading them to a more severe infection/virus because their immune system is so inept it cannot fight it off.The problem is ever-changing strains of viruses and bacteria we encounter in everyday life. Different strains of flu every year, common bacteria that mutate into antibiotic-resistant strains.

Eastie's right IMHO - relative to epidemic infections, it's far more effective to do the common things like handwashing and decrease one's exposure to those bugs. Certainly more effective than the raft of homeopathic nostrums on the market, and probably more effective than flu vaccination.

captain planet
10-25-2006, 04:37 PM
Studies have repeately shown that even a minor flu epidemic such as we see every year is a far bigger waste of money than flu shots. Flu shots are cost-effective, the rationale for them in the first place.

As to mercury, most flu vaccines are thimersol free, and those that aren't have less mercury in them than the last piece of fish you ate. And even that dose of mercury is only hazardous to certain groups of people..ie pregnant women and children under two, and that's only if you believe the (absolutely unproven) link between mercury and autism in children.
OK, I'll give you the cost-effective analysis if your considering the lost time at work because of the flu, but I think you've been drinking the kool-aide on your view of mercury. Next to lead, mercury is one of the most toxic substances to the human body so I am staying away from it at all costs. The autism link (proven, unless your a drug company CEO) is a completely separate thread all its own. :rolleyes:

east tx skier
10-25-2006, 04:51 PM

I see people today who are freaks about cleanliness. The constant scrubbing of hands with purell, scrubbing every surface they encounter with whatever antibacterial chemical they can find. Then they get really sick. I personally believe that they are not getting the germs in small doses that they need to build effective antibodies. Thus leading them to a more severe infection/virus because their immune system is so inept it cannot fight it off.

To be fair, I never said antibacterial soap, which I have avoided or every five minutes. But during flu season, I see no harm in an extra hand washing or two.

east tx skier
10-25-2006, 04:52 PM
LP..Does this have anything to do with the 5 second rule now becoming the 10 second rule. Perhaps with the 5 second rule we were pushing the envelope a touch too far and not getting out necessary "treatments"..;)

Edit: For those that do not know the "rules" as stated above... The time frame allowed for food to fall onto the earth's surface and set there until it can be handled again and eaten....:purplaugh

They went after the 5 second rule on mythbusters. Very interesting.

LakePirate
10-25-2006, 05:30 PM
To be fair, I never said antibacterial soap, which I have avoided or every five minutes. But during flu season, I see no harm in an extra hand washing or two.

By no means was I directing this at you. I was hoping that my example was so absurd that it would cancel out my having quoted you. Guess not.

I was really pointing this at all of the over-protective "super" moms and dads out there.

They make me laugh. However, companies do capitalize on the fears of consumers and they are perpetuating that fear like wild fire.

No Flu Shot here. What are the chances that the CDC guessed right?

east tx skier
10-25-2006, 06:19 PM
I'm with you though as far as the antibacterial soap thing goes. Problem is, so much is antibacterial these days. We keep plenty of purell on hand all the same. With the little one, it's just easier to get the invisible gunk off his hands.

bigmac
10-25-2006, 06:51 PM

Antibacterial soaps are pointless, don't work, probably do more harm than good.

bigmac
10-25-2006, 06:53 PM
OK, I'll give you the cost-effective analysis if your considering the lost time at work because of the flu, but I think you've been drinking the kool-aide on your view of mercury. Next to lead, mercury is one of the most toxic substances to the human body so I am staying away from it at all costs. The autism link (proven, unless your a drug company CEO) is a completely separate thread all its own. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: indeed...

...nodding and smiling...:)

east tx skier
10-25-2006, 06:55 PM

I'm two for two today. I'd better quit while I'm ahead. :)

Problem is, it's getting hard to find non-antibacterial soaps these days. I need to have some of that surgeon's iodine scrub sponges handy. :)

boatless
10-25-2006, 06:56 PM
Just to be safe, each year I got two flu shots. One on each arm :purplaugh .

boatless.

LakePirate
10-25-2006, 07:11 PM

Shazam my point has been confirmed.

:banana:

milkmania
10-25-2006, 07:24 PM
interesting poll..........http://forum.mamboserver.com/images/extrasmilies/hmmmm.gif

er, I mean interesting results:o

10-25-2006, 07:42 PM
On Lakey's theory I have something to ad....Man, did I just sound like Yoda there or what.:o I have a co-worker thats a mechanic, and most days, he only washes his hands at the end of the workday. He dont belive in all the anti-bacterial soaps, etc... He belives your immune system needs stuff to practice on and stay strong, like going to hte gym and working out. He touches many door knobs, drives customers cars touching the steering wheels, shifters, door handles, etc.. plus his hands are constantly in contact with "toxins" such as gasonline, oil, trans fluid, anti freeze, windshield washer fluid, antisieze compound, and never washes his hands before grabing food and shoving it in his mouth. every day I see him eating a sandwhich while wreching on a car, hands filthy dirty. He went to a doctor get a sizeable mole removed recently, and his wife(who worked in a dental office for years) asked the doctor if he was going to prescribe an anti-biotic for him so the laceration didnt get infected, and the doctor said NO, that given his behavior towards germs, and all the gunk he comes in contact with everyday that his immune system is strong enough and dont need one.

ONe thing I do worry about, is over use of antibiotics. I think sometimes doctors prescribe it too soon. just my opinion.....

10-25-2006, 07:47 PM
There is no "Doctor" that can help you.......Besides.. He said "Scientist"....That's what you need.....
I know! :D I would have drove Freud himself NUTS! psych students studying for their doctorate should have to do a study on me for their degree:D the only Dr. that can help me is Dr. Johnny Fever! ROCK AND ROLL BABY!!!!!:headbang:
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/c/c4/250px-WKRP_Jennifer_and_Johnny.jpg

Farmer Ted
10-25-2006, 08:19 PM
BigMac,

what's your take on the Anthrax program that DOD is restarting?

I've yet to take it, hope I never have to, but I'm leary of a shot that's intended to protect against cutaneous anthrax but is being used for pulmonary anthrax.

I guess if push comes to shove, I'll shut up and color, or retire.

bigmac
10-25-2006, 08:41 PM
BigMac,

what's your take on the Anthrax program that DOD is restarting?

I've yet to take it, hope I never have to, but I'm leary of a shot that's intended to protect against cutaneous anthrax but is being used for pulmonary anthrax.

I guess if push comes to shove, I'll shut up and color, or retire.Man, I'm way out of that loop...I got nothing, sorry...

bigmac
10-25-2006, 08:43 PM
One thing I do worry about, is over use of antibiotics. I think sometimes doctors prescribe it too soon. just my opinion.....I completely agree, although that's changing, I think.

suedv
10-25-2006, 08:56 PM
I have asthma. I get a flu shot every year. Getting sick is no fun. I do my best to avoid it.

Leroy
10-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Of my 3 kids one is kinda germ-a-phobic, don't breath or touch his food, washes his hands a lot and he after 4 yrs old has never been sick or missed a day of school. THe other two are lucky to take a bath once a week and normally get cold/flu annually. Maybe coincidence, but an observation.

WTRSK1R
10-26-2006, 12:14 AM
Hey, there was no choice for I am never sick because I get the flu shot. I have gotten the shot almost every year for about the last 5 or 6 and I can honestly say that I have remained healthy while watching the bug run through all the families in our neighborhood from bugs coming home from school. From what I can tell, it seems to help. Generally I am pretty healthy, but I am not opposed to prevention.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-26-2006, 08:51 AM
interesting poll..........http://forum.mamboserver.com/images/extrasmilies/hmmmm.gif

er, I mean interesting results:o
The answers were, how do I say.....Confusing..
I do NOT get the shot, however I do usually get the "flu". I never really thought about it.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Since we are on the subject, at what age is it "suggested" to get this shot?

bigmac
10-26-2006, 09:42 AM
Since we are on the subject, at what age is it "suggested" to get this shot?

Centers for Disease Control guidelines (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm):

Who Should Get Vaccinated
In general, anyone who wants to reduce their chances of getting the flu can get vaccinated. However, it is recommended by ACIP that certain people should get vaccinated each year. They are either people who are at high risk of having serious flu complications or people who live with or care for those at high risk for serious complications. During flu seasons when vaccine supplies are limited or delayed, ACIP makes recommendations regarding priority groups for vaccination.

People who should get vaccinated each year are:

People at high risk for complications from the flu, including:
Children aged 6 months until their 5th birthday,
Pregnant women,
People 50 years of age and older, and
People of any age with certain chronic medical conditions;
People who live in nursing homes and other long term care facilities.

People who live with or care for those at high risk for complications from flu, including:
Household contacts of persons at high risk for complications from the flu (see above)
Household contacts and out of home caregivers of children less than 6 months of age (these children are too young to be vaccinated)
Healthcare workers.

jbfootin
10-26-2006, 11:18 AM
I get mine free through work. Never had side effects from it either.

east tx skier
10-26-2006, 11:36 AM
ONe thing I do worry about, is over use of antibiotics. I think sometimes doctors prescribe it too soon. just my opinion.....

Despite my lack of medical training, I agree. I think they will do you more good when you really need them if you reserve them for those circumstances in which they are truly necessary.

By way of example, my grandfather lived to be 95. I have no memory of his having so much as a cold. When he was 94, he contracted pneumonia. He had never in his life until that day taken antibiotics. His recovery was extraordinarily rapid. He died the next year in his home as a nurse/caregiver rubbed lotion on his back. We should all be so lucky.

dmayer84
10-26-2006, 11:46 AM
I get mine free through work. Never had side effects from it either.

I get mine for free through work as well.

jraben8
10-26-2006, 03:48 PM
The 3 times that I have had one each shot made me feel terrible for about 3 days and I still ended up getting it later.

Haven't had a shot in 8 years and haven't had the flu either.

Now where did I lay that board to knock on...

Monte
10-26-2006, 04:52 PM
No way I would ever vote on "I never get the flu" that would seal the deal... I'd get the worst strain ever..... In about a week...

phecksel
10-27-2006, 12:47 PM
http://www.mercola.com/2005/apr/23/mercury_poison.htm
http://www.mercola.com/2005/feb/26/flu_vaccine.htm

bigmac
10-27-2006, 01:03 PM
http://www.mercola.com/2005/apr/23/mercury_poison.htm
http://www.mercola.com/2005/feb/26/flu_vaccine.htm
nodding and smiling1 (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16919130&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_docsum)
nodding and smiling2 (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16370953&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_docsum)
nodding and smiling3 (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=15998608&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_docsum)

well...it's a long list, but also look at this one (http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2004/504_iom.html)....

captain planet
10-27-2006, 04:55 PM
nodding and smiling1 (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16919130&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_docsum)
nodding and smiling2 (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16370953&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_docsum)
nodding and smiling3 (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=15998608&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_docsum)

well...it's a long list, but also look at this one (http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2004/504_iom.html)....
It's sad that we have to worry about things like this all because of the greed of a large corporation. Common sense will tell you to keep things like mercury out of your body. The fact that they would try to disprove the obvious link between thimerosal and autism rather than find a different way to preserve the drugs is disgusting im my opinion.

bigmac
10-27-2006, 05:11 PM
It's sad that we have to worry about things like this all because of the greed of a large corporation. Common sense will tell you to keep things like mercury out of your body. The fact that they would try to disprove the obvious link between thimerosal and autism rather than find a different way to preserve the drugs is disgusting im my opinion.

:) This statment puts me in mind of the quote from Adam Savage (Mythbusters) ... "I reject your reality and substitute my own..."

10-27-2006, 07:57 PM
the sad part is, there is no limit to what some people or corporations will do to make money.:(

bigmac
10-28-2006, 09:02 AM
the sad part is, there is no limit to what some people or corporations will do to make money.:(

Ah...when I first saw this thread, I had no doubt that someone would ultimately be offering sips of the "Big Pharma Conspiracy" kool-aid...;)

phecksel
10-29-2006, 12:40 AM

All really good stuff, but I've become extremely skeptical of medical papers, especially after the fraudulent data presented to New England Medical Journal discovered in the deleted section of the word file. It's gotten to the point where I don't know who to trust. My previous Dr was fired after he told me to read several medical papers on some medication he was prescribing. After he couldn't intelligently answer specific questions, but sounding more like sales sound bites, I fired him. New Md agreed with all my questions, and said he had the same questions... Guess Phil was right again, LOL

Thing that got my attention on the mercury poisoning link is the distinct lack of Autism wrt Amish people. And then they discovered some Amish children with autism, but they had been vaccinated.

Since the drug companies pay for most of the research, and the FDA gets a substantial amount of funding from drug companies, is it any wonder their objectivity is being questioned?

Footin
10-29-2006, 12:42 AM
The only time I got a flu shot I got the flu worse than ever before.

It's a big no for me getting another flu shot.

bigmac
10-29-2006, 06:33 AM
duplicate post - jeez this site runs slowly at times....

bigmac
10-29-2006, 06:36 AM
Since the drug companies pay for most of the research, and the FDA gets a substantial amount of funding from drug companies, is it any wonder their objectivity is being questioned?

The FDA is a federal agency - I'm not sure how it would be funded by the drug companies. I'm sure they're susceptible to the usual lobbying efforts by big corporations like any other government agency from your senator on down, however, and that is indeed considerable influence.

That said, it's true that a lot of clinical research is funded by drug companies and those studies are the ones the drug reps trot out at lunch to convince a doctor that their blood pressure medicine is better than any of the the other 10,000 blood pressure medicines out there. The drug companies commission research studies with grants to specific doctors or organizations, which is fine, but the despicable part is that if they don't like the results, they can quash the study and it doesn't get published. It's anti-scientific and it pisses me off. There are too many doctors willing to bias their research for a few bucks. And it's not just pharmaceuticals, but also medical devices (which is my arena) and I feel how deep those guys want to get into my pockets. On the other side of that coin, however, we have seen this area overrun by conspiracy theorists. It's a problem, but the problem is not nearly as big a problem as the shrill ranting from that camp would suggest.

Most doctors do recognize this problem and steps are being taken to try to minimize it, at least in the device field (I can't speak to the pharmaceutical field). Every presentation at every meeting these days begins with a disclosure of the presenter's potential conflicts of interest. Advamed (http://www.advamed.org/publicdocs/coe.html) has become a very large force in this area too and virtually all of the corporations I deal with take it very seriously. Their code of ethics has forced a major change in the way they do business and market to physicians - I've seen a radical change in the last couple of years.

But, sadly, you're absolutely correct - it's no wonder at all that the objectivity is being questioned -- some doctors are prostituting themselves to drug companies to bias clinical research, and the FDA is susceptible to outside lobbying influence.

As to thimersol in vaccines, that's a tempest in a teapot and a focal point for uninformed "Big Pharma" conspiracy theorists. I've participated in various discussion forums on the internet since 1992 and I've seen more than a dozen such causes come and go. When they get over this one, they'll move on to something else. Yes, thimersol should be eliminated as a preservative, but there are many valid reasons why that isn't happening overnight and they have nothing to do with corporate greed.

phecksel
10-30-2006, 12:49 PM
This is an interesting read http://blog.healthliesexposed.com/?postid=28

I know my ex Dr's staff even questioned his ability to maintain his objectivity in the face of all the freebies.

The fact the Vioxx data was misrepresented in publication is disturbing. I especially love the incorrect use of statistics wrt statins, and devoted a whole web page to info on statins. I work for an automotive company, and if I skewed the data like the pharmaceutical companies do, we'd be out of business in days from all the lawsuits.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-14-2006, 09:41 AM
UHOH....Tamiflu "abnormal behavior" warning labels (http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/11/13/tamiflu.behavior.ap/index.html):confused: