PDA

View Full Version : 197 Lift Question

rtsydup
10-25-2006, 11:18 AM
Folks,

I have a 2005 197 TT. Just built a new boat house with a ceiling suspended lift. The rails are 2X12 on end. Does anyone know how far to set them apart?

Thanks

twieder
10-25-2006, 11:35 AM
Measure your bunks on your trailer and set lift bunks at the same spaceing. Thats the easiest way I know of. That way your supporting the boat same as the trailer.

east tx skier
10-25-2006, 12:32 PM
The trailer will be a four bunk, but probably will be close enough. Alternatively, you could look in the bilge and figure out where the stringers are and set the bunks underneath them. Work a little twist into the bunks so they follow the contour of the hull.

Rich_G
10-25-2006, 05:44 PM
another thing to consider is to space them wide enough to provide clearance for all undergear, skegs, etc. I assume you will have guide posts mounted to the lift. If the boat is all the way over against one of the posts, the bunk should be far enough over that a skeg can't hit it.

RobertT
10-25-2006, 06:05 PM
Mine are set so that in the rear there is a few inches of wiggle room between the edge of the chine (or whatever you call it) and the bunk. The bunks are set slightly toed in towards the front.

If it were me, I would start with that, then take a compass and set it at 2" or so and scribe where there may be a gap, then cut it that way. It probably means nothing, but I am a freak about having as large of a bearing surface as I possibly can. sometimes we have six or even 8 people in the boat when we lift it out of the water...along with gear we may have another 2,000lbs of weight on the boat.

If you really wanted to be nuts, you could always add another 2x8 on the side with bolts and cut it to match as well. If I remember right, the boat sits pretty flat on a straight bunk about 5/8ths of the way up from the rear, then the front hangs out. Then, since you are going crazy anyway, slightly round the edges over to save the carpet from being cut and save the boat from point loads. A 1/4 radius is perfect. Lastly, I wrap the top with an extra layer of thick carpet, then put the final marine carpet over all of that.

Dont forget to put a ton of wax on the carpet a few times a year. I leave my boat on my lift dang near all year. I get under it and 303 or boat bright it every month, but clearly cant get to the bunk area. Once in a while, I just lift the bunks out of the water while we are out, hose them off clean, then wipe or spray a ton of wax on the carpet...then drop it and load the boat as always. Dont know if it helps, but it cant hurt.

My bunks are 3" aluminum square channel, which is pretty stiff yet does give a little. When I sight it, it bends about 2" at the most. Which, incidentally, is why I said set the compass at 2" or so. A 2x12 will not flex....at all.

RobertT
10-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Just looked at a picture. Mine happen to be about 5" to the center, from the edge of the chine (towards the center of the boat).

Kind of below the platform mounts.

For what its worth.

NORTHERN LIGHTS
10-27-2006, 07:43 AM
i've got an 04 197 and i spaced the bunks same as the inner bunks on the trailer...works great and contact with the hull is about 80%.