PDA

View Full Version : 351W Drain Locations

butter
10-24-2006, 01:38 PM
I drained the water from my block, manifolds, etc... last night. I could only find one drain on the block itself, toward the lower, rear, port side. This is the only one on the block I could find... is it the only one? ('92 205 w/ 351W HO). Thanks!

sanjuan23
10-24-2006, 01:42 PM
IIRC there are 2 on the back side of the block and two on the backs of the manifold risers as well. Easty knows all...

BradD
10-24-2006, 01:43 PM
there is one on the front starboard side as well.

88 PS190
10-24-2006, 01:48 PM
the starboard one might be kind of hidden, look behind any hosing etc.

also make sure to drain the trans cooler and drain the lines.

east tx skier
10-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Two on the block, two on the rear of the manifold risers (below where the exhaust hoses hook up).

The one on the port side is just rear of midway on the block. On the starboard side, it is foward of midway on the block.

butter
10-24-2006, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the info, everyone!

emnesto
10-25-2006, 08:30 AM
Where does the hot water supply for the cabin heater connect? If I use Fak-a-Lake to deliver anti-freeze, will it get to the heater core? Does the heater need to be turned on for cater circulation? Thanks for the info. Just trying to make sure I get everything covered in my first winterization.

92 190 PS
10-25-2006, 08:43 AM
There is a small drain on the back of the housing that the raw water comes through first (not sure what the function of that casting is). Other drain on my 92 is on the muffler in the back of the engine in the center. Not sure if you have the same set up or not....

richardsoncd
10-25-2006, 10:11 AM
Two on the block, two on the rear of the manifold risers (below where the exhaust hoses hook up).

The one on the port side is just rear of midway on the block. On the starboard side, it is foward of midway on the block.

Easty, is this the same for my '79 Pleasurecraft? Plus how do I get antifreeze into the block, a fake a lake isn't an option with my trailer.
Thanks man.

east tx skier
10-25-2006, 12:36 PM
I just read that there may be 3 drain plugs on the PCM. I don't know this for a fact, but worth investigating. As I mentioned in my PM to you, you will probably be fine without antifreeze in the block, but if you decide to do it, drop me a line and I'll give you a run through that will cost about $10 in parts. But bear in mind, I've never actually done it myself as I don't bother with antifreeze in the motor.

As for the heater, you probably want antifreeze there. But I'm not familiar as to how to do that as I don't have a heater.

phecksel
10-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Where does the hot water supply for the cabin heater connect? If I use Fak-a-Lake to deliver anti-freeze, will it get to the heater core? Does the heater need to be turned on for cater circulation? Thanks for the info. Just trying to make sure I get everything covered in my first winterization.
disconnect both hoses leading to the heater core. Blow on one hose until all the water is out. If you don't run antifreeze through the engine, pour PURE antifreeze into the hose. If you are running 50/50 anti freeze, it can't hurt to blow out the heater core again. After replacing two heater cores in my old boat, always drain the antifreeze too.

butter
11-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Even with everyone's answers to my initial question, I still was unable to find the starboard plug on the block (though I admit I didn't look very hard). However, last night when I was closing all the drain petcocks/plugs (in preparation for a trip to the lake today), I found the shower hot water supply is connected where the starboard drain plug would normally be located. I plan to disconnect the shower line in order to drain from this location from now on. Also, I hadn't even previously thought about draining the shower lines, but I guess the shower pump would be susceptible to freeze-damage. Is it adequate just to run the shower pump until no more water comes out? Thanks again for everyone's input.

edwinfuqua
11-07-2006, 07:22 PM
I drained the water from my block, manifolds, etc... last night. I could only find one drain on the block itself, toward the lower, rear, port side. This is the only one on the block I could find... is it the only one? ('92 205 w/ 351W HO). Thanks!

The guys have allready given you a lot of good information in this thread. I wrote some things I've learned in another thread " I don't want to winterize". I think are good ideas but please don't leave fresh water in half your block. My block drains were hidden behind the motor mounts. Here is what I said in the other thread:

Of course you have your boat backed up in the carport. Think about this. Drain the block and the headers. Use 'safe' antifreeze and turn the engine over and suck up just enough to wet the impeller and get into the engine circulating pump. Pour a little in the bilge and run that pump until no fresh water is left. Cover your stuff up. Keep your battery charged. That's it. The antifreeze will lubricate your impeller too. You don't need stabilizer if you are storing for less than 90 days but it's not a bad idea, might help your carb or fuel system. Keep it full of fuel. I have another hose that I use. I take the fresh water intake hose off of the tranie cooler because it's easier, put the other hose on and stick it in a 5 gal bucket. You got to start it but soon as you hit 11 or 1200 RPM's shut it off! Mine will suck 5 gallons of water with the water hose on in the bucket for backup in about 20 seconds. The object here is to get the fresh water out and lubricate the impeller, you already drained all the water out that might freeze and in Georgia - rarely do we have cold enough WX to freeze an engine but hoses can be damaged if it gets below 32 for days. How do you protect your outside water faucets? I just cover 'em up with tin-foil and some straw, etc. If it gets to the 20's (even 27 F) overnight you might leave a battery tender on the battery and put the transformer under the hood, keep it out of the wind, keep it close to the house.

This is exactly what I should have done - what a waste. I learn something every-time I think about or use my boat. Sometimes it costs more than others.

Good Luck, Edwin Fuqua, Athens, GA

edwinfuqua
11-07-2006, 07:25 PM
BTW, read the antifreeze container... pure antifreeze will not protect you in -0 degree temps. It must be mixed 1/3 water for full protection and 50/50 for about -35 degrees.

buffskier
11-10-2006, 06:00 PM
My 84 S&S with PCM 351 has a fifth plug plug up by the raw water pump at the bottom of the u-shaped cast tubing.

It has a sixth plug right by the tranny cooler, but when I tried to remove it it broke off and torqued off a chunk of the cooler. I do not think that it had ever been removed, because - I think - releasing the hose right below relieves the cooler of all of its water. A welding shop braised it back together.

I never remove that sixth plug anymore, but I do take out the fifth one up at the front.