PDA

View Full Version : Winterization question

h2oskier
10-24-2006, 03:37 AM
Can someone share with me the best/easiest way to pull antifreeze in to the block. I am going to put her to bed this week. I have an '03 prostar 209 with an MCX engine. I am using "plunger style" hook up to provide water to the intake on the bottom of the hull.

If I drain the block and exhaust manifolds is antifreeze needed in the engine?

This is my first year winterizing the boat myself, and I am a little nervous for some reason.

Thanks!!

pflcjl
10-24-2006, 05:43 AM
I have a 2006 MCX and I have decided not to use antifreeze this year. I have been winterizing my own inboards for many years with antifreeze. I let the block and manifolds drain for a week or so and buttoned them back up without antifreexze. I did put the RV antifreeze in the heater but that was it. Note: the boat is located in the Northeast and is stored in an insulated but unheated garage.

JimN
10-24-2006, 08:32 AM
h20- I have said many times that I don't like the plunger style hookup. I really prefer using a plastic hose that fits onto the raw water pump and drawing the anti-freeze form a container that's large enough to hold at least 5 gallons, better if it can hold more. Keep the anti-freeze inside of the house so it's not outside air temperature and teh thermostat will stay open longer. I also like to run the motor after changing the oil to warm it to normal operating temp, let it sit to heat soak and then drain the block before bringing the anti-freeze in. After it's in the motor, I remove the block plugs (just long enough to catch a little of the anti-freeze, no longer) to make sure it's in the block. If what comes out is clear, I do it again. I would buy a case of anti-freeze- it's too cheap to worry about saving a few bucks when a motor is at stake.

pfl- Did you remove the lowest part of the hoses on the water pumps, at the rear of the exhaust manifolds and the oil cooler? I would also consider trailering the boat in case there are any pockets of water in it. Leave the plugs out and bag them, then tie them to the throttle handle so they aren't misplaced, including the hull plug(s).

etakk7
10-24-2006, 09:20 AM
I just posted a new thread in the winterization section with how I winterized. It is a little more involved, but it is a long-term solution. It took a lot of time this year, but it will save a ton of time in the future.

Evan Jones
10-24-2006, 09:29 AM
I have done my own winterization for 9 years with no antifreeze. Never a problem. Pull all the plugs and hoses and drive it around the block.

east tx skier
10-24-2006, 10:06 AM
I have done my own winterization for 9 years with no antifreeze. Never a problem. Pull all the plugs and hoses and drive it around the block.

This will be the third DIY for me with no antifreeze. After I stabilize the fuel and change the fluids, I warm it up, and fog it. The, pull all the plugs and drive it around the neighborhood for 10--15 minutes. I make sure there are a few hills on the route. Works like a charm.

bigmac
10-24-2006, 01:28 PM
I think one important aspect is to drain the block, exhaust manifold, and hoses of water before sucking the antifreeze. Another key point is to NOT rely on the engine-sucking method to winterize the heater core and keep it from freezing. That should be done separately by either pumping antifreeze through the heater core separately, or at least blowing it out with air.