PDA

View Full Version : Decals: Anyone have an opinion about this supplier?

Linkster
10-24-2006, 01:00 AM
This guy is on ebay all the time - here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MasterCraft-Boat-Decals-4-x40-5_W0QQitemZ140045291683QQihZ004QQcategoryZ26455QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Item #140045291683

"They only use premium 9 year marine grade vinyl"

Any opinion?

TMCNo1
10-24-2006, 10:07 AM
The contact info is there on the auction site, talk to the guy, get him to send some color samples of the color/colors you need and a vinyl mfg. brochure to back up what he sends you if you order some. The prices seem reasonable. May be worth a try.

east tx skier
10-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Very important question is whether these are on one strip of vinyl or are separate vinyl letters with wax paper backing. If they are the former, they won't resemble what came with the boat.

ski_king
10-24-2006, 11:00 AM
I didn't buy from that guy, but I did from another ebayer.

He did good on registration numbers and a transom decal that I am going to use on back window of my truck, but was off on the color on some replacement stars I ordered.

PM me and I will give you a link to his ebay store.

bigmac
10-24-2006, 01:13 PM
This guy is on ebay all the time - here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MasterCraft-Boat-Decals-4-x40-5_W0QQitemZ140045291683QQihZ004QQcategoryZ26455QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Item #140045291683

"They only use premium 9 year marine grade vinyl"

Any opinion?

Interesting that they can do that. That MasterCraft logo is a registered trademark, yet the logo displayed on their website has no such "R" mark, nor do they disclaim anywhere on their website that it is indeed a registered trademark belonging to MasterCraft. Without express permission from MasterCraft, I know my own vinyl guy would refuse to cut that particular logo - it would supposedly represent trademark infringement.

rhsprostar
10-24-2006, 01:33 PM
What are you looking for? The side decal? What boat,year, color?
I might have an extra one around here that you could have for cheap.

shepherd
10-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Interesting that they can do that. That MasterCraft logo is a registered trademark, yet the logo displayed on their website has no such "R" mark, nor do they disclaim anywhere on their website that it is indeed a registered trademark belonging to MasterCraft. Without express permission from MasterCraft, I know my own vinyl guy would refuse to cut that particular logo - it would supposedly represent trademark infringement.

Good point BM, but the question is who will sue? There are several companies out there that use the Mastercraft mark. Mastercraft Boat Company only owns its use in conjunction with boats, boat supplies, etc. There are companies that own the "Mastercraft" mark for cabinets, tires, fire extinguishers, etc. It is a very "diluted" mark.

Maristar210
10-24-2006, 04:19 PM

I believe it does. That is what I was told when I went to have one cut.

Steve

bigmac
10-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Good point BM, but the question is who will sue? There are several companies out there that use the Mastercraft mark. Mastercraft Boat Company only owns its use in conjunction with boats, boat supplies, etc. There are companies that own the "Mastercraft" mark for cabinets, tires, fire extinguishers, etc. It is a very "diluted" mark.Trademarking the name "MasterCraft" is indeed market specific, but the MasterCraft logo is a registered trademark and all rights to it are reserved for MasterCraft Boat Company. The vinyl cutter in question could legally put up "MasterCraft" stickers using the Helvetica font to his heart's content, but when he starts selling "MasterCraft" stickers that look exactly like MasterCraft's logo, then he is violating their trademark. Normally, if they found out about it, MasterCraft would have their attornies send a "cease and desist" letter to the vinyl cutter, maybe sue him for damages if they could demonstrate significant damages (which is unlikely).

Bottom line - it's not the name "MasterCraft" that the vinyl cutter is infringing on, it's the logo.

Having said that, it's possible that that ebay vinyl guy has paid MasterCraft for the rights to duplicate and make money off of the MasterCraft logo. Usually, however, they are required to put a little on their vinyl lettering, and/or to add a little small-print blurb that says something like "the MasterCraft logo is a registered trademark of MasterCraft Boat Company" or something like that...

TMCNo1
10-24-2006, 08:03 PM
I guess to stop anyone from making replacement decals, Mastercraft would have to step up and and spend big bucks to have decals manufactured, stock them for every boat and color they have ever made and sell them thru the dealer network to the owners. Half the dealers won't call MC on a toll free direct line to parts now to find out if they have replacement decals for recent boats and what makes anyone think they would start now. Jim@ BAWS just bought bunches that MC sold him that they didn't want to stock for older boats. In the mean time, where are owners going to find replacement decals without stepping outside the envelope.
Just forgret replacing the torn, scratched, missing, loose, faded decal on your 14 year old $20,000 boat, just buy a new $60,000 boat instead, they make new boats every darn day and while your at it just have the old boat crushed, it ain't no good anyway, cause the next guy that would own it couldn't find anything but Bu decals to put on it!!

Linkster
10-25-2006, 12:36 AM
Great advise from everyone.

Finding good decals become a problem when you are looking at 15 year old MC's...

I'll look into the separate vinyl letters with this supplier, put in a PM w/ ski king and maybe see if Jim@ has any left over.... RHS, I need them for all three sides on a 89-PS190 and I have the teal metalflake color.

Thanks - awesome group of tmcowners on this site!

scott88prostar
10-25-2006, 07:31 AM
Link

If your interested I had all the decals done at a local Sign Shop ( I think there National ) they can email the decal to your local store and you choose the colors. Im sure they have metal flake. It was under $35 for for a full set and they seem to be high quality.

fresh pizza guy
10-25-2006, 08:57 AM
ive bought multiple decals from that guy, i recommend him. all my decals were just the way i wanted them, and you can even give him certain measurements and he'll cut it for you.

fresh pizza guy
10-25-2006, 08:58 AM
ive bought multiple decals from that guy, i recommend him. all my decals were just the way i wanted them, and you can even give him certain measurements and he'll cut it for you.

TMCNo1
10-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Great advise from everyone.

Finding good decals become a problem when you are looking at 15 year old MC's...

I'll look into the separate vinyl letters with this supplier, put in a PM w/ ski king and maybe see if Jim@ has any left over.... RHS, I need them for all three sides on a 89-PS190 and I have the teal metalflake color.

Thanks - awesome group of tmcowners on this site!

It gets hard to find proper decals after 6 to 8 years as the supply decreases.