PDA

View Full Version : Flippin recruiters/head hunters......

6ballsisall
10-23-2006, 11:34 PM
:rolleyes: So 6-7 months ago this recruiter calls me (I was a lead from a past co-worker who she placed elsewhere) making all kinds of promises of this and that about what she could do for me, so out of curiousity I send her my resume. 2 phone calls shortly after sending my credentials she goes on about 3 different jobs she wants to get me exposed too, I think great, well..........she never called me back :rolleyes:

So I think whatever.......... Well she starts calling me again last week out of the blue about this "great opportunity" back in Colorado. I start asking specifics and she says "oh the position literally just came open today" :rolleyes: Well I tell her get me some specifics (finances, details on the position, etc..) and call me back. Well she keeps telling me they won't release that until they are ready and I should just go interview..... THEN she tells me I should re-route my travel schedule (at my companies expense) so that I can stay longer in a certain city and interview w/ this company.

I mean come on!! I know we are all out there to make a buck and I am all about free enterprise but geez!!! Interview for an unknown position that sounds like a lateral move at best, and screw my current employer that for the most part is very good to me????? :rolleyes:
I don't like to burn bridges anywhere but I am about ready to tell this chick to take a hike!

So I am curious, has anyone had a good experience with a recruiter/head hunter?

3event
10-23-2006, 11:40 PM
I had mostly useless experience with recruiters. Some that are highly industry specific seem to be OK , though - I have friends that have worked with a few. Those guys/gals are well known in their industry and connected - so they have an interest in keeping up a favorable reputation among employers and prospective employees. The generalists, not so much. Many are out for the quickest buck.

This one seems PARTICULARLY shady. I would expect to be treated with more integrity than that.

But burning bridges is nearly always a bad idea, so if I'm trying to dodge one , I would just come up with a few great excuses for not being interested and let it go....

6ballsisall
10-23-2006, 11:54 PM
This one seems PARTICULARLY shady. I would expect to be treated with more integrity than that.

But burning bridges is nearly always a bad idea, so if I'm trying to dodge one , I would just come up with a few great excuses for not being interested and let it go....

Agreed........she won't stop calling me.........her persistence almost reminds me of Erk when he's trying to sell a boat! :rolleyes: :D

Normally I would call her back but I am on a special project right now and stepping away during the day would just not be right. So I sent her an email this evening "thanking" her for all she has done to pursue opportunities on my behalf. I also let her know the parameters of opportunities I would consider and if something comes up that fits that she certainly knows how to reach me. Finished off by saying I have no intentions of wasting her time, prospective employers, or mine so lets just get to the brass on this or move on..........

Out of curiousity more, i wonder where this will go.........:rolleyes:

stevo137
10-24-2006, 09:30 AM
J, I would not deal with her after those types of tactics.
I get calls occasionally but not looking at this point.
The company that I work for now approached me directly which is the best way for both parties. IMO

LakePirate
10-24-2006, 09:56 AM
No disrespect to anyone on the board but I think they are the scum of the earth. They post bogus jobs attempting to reach their quota of resumes. Had one that I had talked to about a month and a half ago call me yesterday. The individual with whom I spoke to originally and went in to see left less than a week later. His replacement came in and I contacted her by chance to see what was up. She tells me they have jobs come through all the time and would keep me posted. A couple of weeks later I see that she is running an ad for the job I came in for on Craig's List. She tells me that she is just floating jobs to get resumes. Back to yeasterday, one of her lackeys calls me to see how my search is going, basically fishing for information as to where I am interviewing and who I have talked to. Asked me to keep her posted. I ask what jobs she currently has, she tells me that she is new and they have jobs come through all the time. What do you have active? I ask. She claims to have my resume on her desk and I should call her to give her an update and to check back in to see if there are any jobs. Hope she is not holding her breath.

Absolutely ridiculous. They have made job hunting impossible.

6ballsisall
10-24-2006, 05:24 PM
^^^^^ It hadn't dawned on me that is how recruiters might capture leads (ask interviewee's what jobs they have interviewed for already)

I just had a few seconds to check personal email now, got a response from her.......still very coy about the upfront questions I had for her, yet wierdly enough, she quickly told me the name of the company.......:rolleyes: She can't figure out why I won't rebook my flight (and make my company pay for it :mad: ) just to have the interview. I am done with this chick.............:rolleyes:

Leroy
10-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Like 15 years ago I had great experience with headhunters. Absolutely could not find a good one when I went out of work in May. They all want up front money now. I also found them posting bogus positions to get resumes to call and offer the up-front fee search, pyramid sales positions and other scams.

I think if you do want to get the best job and are willing to move HH'ers can work.

Any senior position search will have no problem paying for a flight, I think this is just her being weird or there really isn't a position there. Look on the companies job site.

east tx skier
10-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Never had any luck with them personally. The only attorney positions any of them ever seemed to have were of the "sit in the conference room and go through boxes of discovery" variety. While those jobs actually do pay pretty well if you don't have other options, they are not exactly something you need help getting hired on to do the way I recall it.

M-Funf
10-24-2006, 05:52 PM
The industry I work in is rather incestuous (sp?) so there almost no need to go to headhunters unless you don't have time to recruit, or you don't have a good HR person to do the recruiting for you.

That said, I have used a couple of headhunters that were very professional. They don't send resumes out before asking the candidate if the can, and they keep in touch through the whole process.

I have also leveraged not using recruiters when negotiating a new job compensation package...a little hint my wife taught me. Recruiters may get 10-30% or more for placing a candidate. So, if you found the job by some other means, and you know they were using a recruiter, you can use that information to your advantage...

east tx skier
10-24-2006, 05:58 PM
The industry I work in is rather incestuous (sp?) so there almost no need to go to headhunters unless you don't have time to recruit, or you don't have a good HR person to do the recruiting for you.

That said, I have used a couple of headhunters that were very professional. They don't send resumes out before asking the candidate if the can, and they keep in touch through the whole process.

I have also leveraged not using recruiters when negotiating a new job compensation package...a little hint my wife taught me. Recruiters may get 10-30% or more for placing a candidate. So, if you found the job by some other means, and you know they were using a recruiter, you can use that information to your advantage...

A company for which I onced worked avoided recruiters whenever possible to avoid shelling out that commission.

Rockman
10-24-2006, 06:18 PM
JR,

Just tell her you are not interested due to lack of information and leave it at that.

Yes, the recruiters are 99.9% out there to get the commission and rarely look to actually match up a good candidate with a company.

I have a few friends who are recruiters now and they are the same way. I knew them before they "transformed" into recruiters and I just laugh at them.

When I was at my old firm, me and some others would get calls and we would say that we were not interested but we knew of this great candidate...little did the recruiter know it was the managing partner in our firm. He used to get so pi$$ed off. It was funny. After a while he knew who was forwarding the calls and lughed about it.

uncleboo
10-24-2006, 07:24 PM
My dad just used a recruiter and he had very good results. He did have to pay a commission up front, but his recruiter offered a money back guarantee if he didn't find a good position. He is a high level manager in mfg. and they don't post his positions on the internet or in the classifieds. No one does anything for free nowadays.

tex
10-24-2006, 10:33 PM
OK guys-The other side. I am a medical recruiter. The experiences that you describe are from contengent type recruiters. They usually find positions on the web and try and get you to go to the job for a commission. The other is a retainer type who charge the company a huge fee up front and don't do crap. I work for a hybrid who signs a contract with a hospital and goes and finds people for their opportunities. I actually fly out and interview the hospital that I will place people at. I'm in Florida at one right now. If you are not a fit and quit...I have to replace you at my cost. You never pay me a thing. I get paid a base plus a commission if you complete your gig. It benefits me to put the best people in the best spots. It sounds as though you are dealing with a bad recruiter working for a bad company. Anytime they ask you to extend a trip at your company's penny to get an interview....that should tell you something. If you need advice...please pm me and let me know who you are dealing with.

Roonie's
10-24-2006, 10:46 PM
My wife gets these calls all the time. She is in a specific industry very similar to what Tex is recruiting for (medical devices). One recruiter called about 5 years ago and she pursued it and she got the job. It was a great job that she really liked. Now they call and they can't get anything better then what she currently has. In fact the last recruiter got angry because my wife told her what she makes and she wouldn't be interested in anything else paying lower, the recruiter made some sarcastic remark and hung up on her. Now she gets jobs by word of mouth and who she knows rather than follow up with any recruiter. They were good for her one job but none since (she has made two job changes since).

LakePirate
10-25-2006, 12:04 AM
Didn't know you were still in the recruiting game Tex. I have found that you are the exception to the rule. I know several people who have left jobs recruiting because they hated them. Tex referred me to a couple of people at the local office at his old firm. I called and spoke with them and sent them my resume and could never get a call back. Had some pretty good luck at a job fair this past week for sales and managerial positions. We shall see.

I think in a specialized field (like Tex) the recruiters are much better and are respected in the industry. Most of the clowns I/we commoners deal with are bunk.

Leroy
10-25-2006, 08:33 AM
I did the same in July, noheadhunter and no move to ask and get additional salary and bonus.