PDA

View Full Version : Started physical therepy today

Mikey
10-23-2006, 03:43 PM
I strained my rotator cuff in both shoulders back in august. I am just now going to therapy now that boarding season is about over. I have to go to therapy 3 times a week for two months then an MRI at the end of therapy.:( Anyone have experience with this type of injury? Any advice? I just hope I am back to 100% by next spring.

LakePirate
10-23-2006, 04:02 PM
I had the surgery on a torn rotator cuff, it was unsuccessful as far as I am concerned. Did it relieve the pain I was experience, sure, can I throw, nope.

Do the rehab. If you don't like the rehab or think it is not working question the therapy. Had a PT tell me one time after my surgery when I was complaining about not being able to do long toss, he suggested that I do that first. Umm, that is why I am here in the first place.

Since the surgery, what I have found most helpful is to strengthen the muscles around the shoulder.

What do they expect to see on the MRI?

If it is strained should it not heal with rest? Maybe a little electro-therapy and heat?

Sodar
10-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Good Luck with the Recovery Mikey!!! Work your @$$ off and it will pay off 10-fold!

I have had both shoulders completely "rebuilt". My upgrades consist of 4 screws with sutures in my left shoulder and 3 screws with sutures in my right shoulder. Both shoulders came complete with a newly reconnected bicep tendon and major pitting to the humeral head.

I would say that after surgery and a year of rehab that I am 90% back to normal. I can still not throw a ball, not because my shoulder would dislocate, but because they tightened my tendons up so tight that my range of motion is no longer where it once was. I also cannot swim, surf because my stroke is so ugly with no range of motion. All in all though, I am happy with my surgery. My shoulders were so loose and messed up that i would wake up in the middle of the night with my shoulder completely out of socket and dislocated!