PDA

View Full Version : My 1990 PS 190 Restoration Diary

Pages : 1 [2]

shepherd
03-28-2007, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the slalom guy decal idea Rod, and thanks to you many members who sent me graphics files for it. I ran out of black bunk carpet, so I used some ugly carpet I had lying around the house to pad the cross members.

AFTER:

shepherd
03-28-2007, 06:55 PM
Before.............:

pq2
03-28-2007, 06:56 PM
awsome job Shep, congratulations, looks better than new.

shepherd
03-28-2007, 06:56 PM
New winch, boat buddy, stainless chain, etc.

AFTER:

Slinkyredfoot
03-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the slalom guy decal idea Rod, and thanks to you many members who sent me graphics files for it.

AFTER:

Really looks good shep, nice job. Can you send me the files for the skier please?

shepherd
03-28-2007, 07:00 PM
I need to show a shot with my new wheels. :D I had a couple extra PROSTAR 190 decals, so I put them on the fenders instead of buying new "Mastercraft" decals.

JR34
03-28-2007, 07:00 PM
That is unbelievable!! Great job. How much cheaper was restoring it than buying a new trailer? I know alot of the fun is in the before and afters but just curious on the financial side of it?

What winch (make/lb) and strap (length) did you go with? I just replaced mine but like your setup better.

shepherd
03-28-2007, 07:10 PM
That is unbelievable!! Great job. How much cheaper was restoring it than buying a new trailer? I know alot of the fun is in the before and afters but just curious on the financial side of it?

What winch (make/lb) and strap (length) did you go with? I just replaced mine but like your setup better.

Doing most of the work myself, except sandblasting and painting, it cost me a total of about $1200. A new trailer probably would have cost twice that, or more. I lost track of exact cost after my 20th trip to the hardware store to get another bolt/washer/screw... :rolleyes:

Slink (and anybody else), if you want the skier guy decal files, pm your email address to me.

I got the winch at West Marine. Edit: It's a Fulton XLT1401 winch.

M-Funf
03-28-2007, 07:15 PM
I got the winch at West Marine. I don't have a part number but I'm sure you can find it in their web site.

This one?

Shepherd's winch (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/151013/198%204294964078/3/winch/All_2/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0)

shepherd
03-28-2007, 07:18 PM
This one?

Shepherd's winch (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/151013/198%204294964078/3/winch/All_2/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0)

That's it. Fulton XLT series, the 1400 lb. one. Expensive, but I liked the clean look.

JR34
03-28-2007, 07:20 PM
preciate it. That is a nice finished look vs the stock ones.

DooSPX
03-28-2007, 07:24 PM
you did great man!!! Your boat and trailer look amazing now!!!

btw, PM sent to ya!

Slinkyredfoot
03-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Doing most of the work myself, except sandblasting and painting, it cost me a total of about $1200. A new trailer probably would have cost twice that, or more. I lost track of exact cost after my 20th trip to the hardware store to get another bolt/washer/screw... :rolleyes:

Slink (and anybody else), if you want the skier guy decal files, pm your email address to me.

Man can I relate to the 20 trips to the hardware and losing track of what it really costs. Seems like you remember the major costs, prep, paint, fender repair, wheels and tires, but all the other incidentals add up....
You know I really didn't care...it is a fun project and the results are truly a sense of accomplishment and joy, restoring something you really love...
One last thing .... I got the same winch also. My 79 had the original chain and turnbuckle hold down, no winch at all, bought mine for 65 bucks at a triler place in Indy. Still trying to figure out hte little slot in the front though

BriEOD
03-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Nice work Shep. I hope you have a great summer getting to use it.

puck_11
03-28-2007, 09:12 PM
Looks amazing...I'm sure everyone on this board that has a less than pristine setup wishes they could do that to their boat and trailer!

Slinkyredfoot
03-28-2007, 09:12 PM

PM too you.....

shepherd
04-04-2007, 08:41 AM
OK, I'm going to stamp this project as DONE.

Of course, I'll never be totally done - as fellow boat owners you know there are many little things that I can still work on. I'm already thinking next winter will be my engine/drivetrain restoration project.

Before I leave, I can't resist a few last before and after shots. :D

Here she is last September. Faded gel coat, rusted and faded trailer, ripped up interior...

shepherd
04-04-2007, 08:43 AM
AFTER.

Here's a (nearly) complete list of what I did or had done:

- new interior
- new sound system
- new steering wheel
- new mirror
- buffed dash
- buffed and polished gel coat
- new pinstripes on hull
- new rubrail inserts
- painted windshield frame and air vents
- sandblasted and painted trailer
- new trailer wheels
- new trailer bunks and pads
- new boat buddy and winch
- new trailer guide pole pads
- replaced trailer lights with LEDs
- cleaned and oiled teak (but not a "TMCNo1 job")
- replaced decals on boat and trailer (including non-skid pieces on trailer)

shepherd
04-04-2007, 08:43 AM
Before.........

shepherd
04-04-2007, 08:44 AM
After.............

shepherd
04-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Last pic. Took her out and skied her first time last night. Had a great time.

Thanks to everybody for your advice and encouragement on this project. There is absolutely no way I would have (or could have) done it without this forum. You guys inspired me and helped me out when I got stuck -- here on this thread, and through your PMs and phone calls. :worthy: :love: .

OK enough of the sappy crap. One last pic :D

TMCNo1
04-04-2007, 09:00 AM
Last pic. Took her out and skied her first time last night. Had a great time.

Thanks to everybody for your advice and encouragement on this project. There is absolutely no way I would have (or could have) done it without this forum. You guys inspired me and helped me out when I got stuck. Here on this thread, and through your PMs and phone calls. :worthy: :love: .

OK enough of the sappy crap. One last pic :D

Shepherd, congratulations on a job well done. She sure is sweet after the makeover, I know you are proud. Now hook it up and come to CSM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cmack
04-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Been reading up on this -- This thread was before my time on TMC.. Great job Shepherd. The boat looks brand new!!

east tx skier
04-04-2007, 10:07 AM
Well done, Shep! Looks beautiful.

Slinkyredfoot
04-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Looks great, nice job, but what are you gonna do now? When I got my boat all done, I was lost with notin else to do to it.....

TonyB
04-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Wolf Whistle -- Wheeet Wheeeew

Monte
04-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Looks good Shep.......... I'm Very impressed.. I am a little disapponted in you though! There was still some smooth water and a little daylight left...

O2BESOHUGE
04-04-2007, 10:34 AM
So Shepherd, You Got Rid Of The Metal "strap" That Locks To The Toe Eye? And Is That A Boat Buddy? What Set Up Are You Using Now? It Looks Much Simpler Than Mastercraft's Version On My Boat

O2

O2BESOHUGE
04-04-2007, 10:37 AM
One More Question...with A Boat Buddy, Do You Still Use The Winch?

O2BESOHUGE
04-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Where Did You Get The Mastercraft Grip Tape?

sizzler
04-04-2007, 10:41 AM
thats one hell of a fine job.......

chudson
04-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Wow great job and I like the lights on the guides, neat addition!!!

Jkelly
04-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Great job!!! Looks like it just rolled off the show room floor

O2BESOHUGE
04-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Do You Hire Yourself Out Shep?? :)

shepherd
04-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Looks great, nice job, but what are you gonna do now? When I got my boat all done, I was lost with notin else to do to it.....

Hey Slink. First of all, I'm going to SKI IT! :woohoo:

Other than that, there's a long list of "nickel and dime" things that I can still do to her. And next winter, if I decide to keep her (I'm still dreaming of a late model 190/197), I want to do an engine/drive train restoration - at least clean up the engine, maybe look into some easy performance mods (GT40s?), new propeller (might do that this spring), etc.

shepherd
04-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Looks good Shep.......... I'm Very impressed.. I am a little disapponted in you though! There was still some smooth water and a little daylight left...

LoL! Momma was getting cold and hungry, and when momma ain't happy... :rolleyes:

Besides, I'm going back out tonight to ski behind my buddy's 205. Happy now? ;)

shepherd
04-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Where Did You Get The Mastercraft Grip Tape?

I made it. See page 24 of this thread. I might still have a copy of the paper template I created if you want one.

As for the Boat Buddy, I've only used it once on the "new" trailer so I winched it up. I hope to be able to use it as intended - without the winch - but I need to find out the right trailer depth/angle first before I try any power loading onto the trailer.

Monte
04-04-2007, 01:05 PM
LoL! Momma was getting cold and hungry, and when momma ain't happy... :rolleyes:

Besides, I'm going back out tonight to ski behind my buddy's 205. Happy now? ;)

Gotcha!! LOL

Yes, that makes me a little happier, mine is running about 2 1/2 weeks behind as of right now!!:( I'm just jealous:o

Slinkyredfoot
04-04-2007, 01:18 PM
Hey Slink. First of all, I'm going to SKI IT! :woohoo:

Other than that, there's a long list of "nickel and dime" things that I can still do to her. And next winter, if I decide to keep her (I'm still dreaming of a late model 190/197), I want to do an engine/drive train restoration - at least clean up the engine, maybe look into some easy performance mods (GT40s?), new propeller (might do that this spring), etc.
Well there you go....great point:D

loeweb
04-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Shep, looks great! What a good change to make. Bet you will get a lot of looks this season with the "new"boat. Gotta be a big relief to finally say DONE on the work and just starting the play season. Again, great job!

jenglin
04-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Great Job!!! You have inspired me to "think" about taking on mine. So how hard is it to wet sand it? Does it sound worse then what it is? I'm just afraid of screwing something up and it's gonna cost more to fix it then it would just by hiring someone who knows what the hell there doing. Let me know.

shepherd
04-04-2007, 02:16 PM
I didn't do any wetsanding but there is an excellent description of the process on page 15 of this thread. It doesn't sound difficult, just not necessary for me though I'm sure I could have gotten better results by doing it. I recommend you try what I did first - get a good high speed circular buffer and some compound and go at it. It's not hard and it won't hurt your gel coat. Only if that doesn't work to your satisfaction should you think about wetsanding IMO.

BrianM
04-04-2007, 02:52 PM
WOW!!! What a great job. Beautiful boat. You manged to save another one from neglect.

EFiles
04-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Where did you get your trailer wheels? (Sorry if I missed that in the thread someplace.)

shepherd
04-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Where did you get your trailer wheels? (Sorry if I missed that in the thread someplace.)

I got the wheels at this place: http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/trailer_wheels.htm

I got the aluminum Ninja Stars.

BriEOD
04-04-2007, 09:57 PM
My hats off to you Shep. That is a pretty machine. Well done.

Footin
04-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Nice ride, you have put in alot of elbow grease.

SDAhockey21
04-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Amazing job!! Where do you live in florida that looks like a good place to ski!

Hoosier Bob
04-04-2007, 10:16 PM
I say park it out back in the sun and forget about it for a few years!;)

Nice job Shep! Nice wheels, what cost?

Looks awesome!

JohnE
04-14-2007, 10:51 AM
I caught the first half of this thread in January. I forgot about it and didn't catch back up until yesterday. Just want to say great job. You had inspired me to refurb my trailer. I had found a sandblaster who was going to blast and paint the trailer this month. But........after the boat show in February, I became inspired enough to move up to the late model 197. Anyhow, great job and thanks for posting the project.

87MC owner
04-15-2007, 09:58 PM
love the prop guard with wheels. Is this an aftermarket product or stock? I would love to add this to my trailer. Thanks.

Jesus_Freak
04-18-2007, 12:49 PM
I haven't bought the components separately before, so I can't say. The kit is great because it comes with all you need. I just finished buffing the hull and deck tonight, I just need to hand buff a few areas that the machine wouldn't reach, then seal/wax it all.

Here's a pic from when I was midway through the starboard side, showing the difference. It took very little effort to bring back the color with the circular polisher.

I'm going to try to find some touch up paint to hide that big scratch - it's pretty deep. I decided I'm going to replace that pinstriping also.

I have some pics from work that was inspired by this thread and great work from shepherd. Here is the barney boat before:

Jesus_Freak
04-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Here is after 3 stages of liquids. Yes, I should have done a better job taking care of the decal (compounded all of the letter shadowing off), but it was not in ideal shape to begin with.

shepherd
04-18-2007, 01:12 PM
Good job JF. Looks like a real nice shine on there. You probably know that you can get replacement decals fairly easy and inexpensively. That would really finish your transom off nice.

cbryan70
04-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Man that is a nice shine. Ive wanted to try to get a shine out of my boat like that last year. Only thing i worrie about is the metal flake. Can i bring this back to life?

Jesus_Freak
04-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Good job JF. Looks like a real nice shine on there. You probably know that you can get replacement decals fairly easy and inexpensively. That would really finish your transom off nice.

Thank you sir. I was inspired by the restoration daddy himself. :) My goal was color richness more than shine, but it looks like both goals were met simultaneously. Is there a secret to getting the old decals off? Scraper? Solvent? Fingernails? Teeth?

Sodar
04-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Thank you sir. I was inspired by the restoration daddy himself. :) My goal was color richness more than shine, but it looks like both goals were met simultaneously. Is there a secret to getting the old decals off? Scraper? Solvent? Fingernails? Teeth?

Heat Gun and a credit card has worked best for me, followed by some Goof Off for the adhesive.

Monte
04-18-2007, 02:36 PM
Heat Gun and a credit card has worked best for me, followed by some Goof Off for the adhesive.

Hair dryer will work as a heat gun if you don't have one JF...

shepherd
05-03-2007, 07:03 PM
I've decided to buy something a little newer. A little earlier than expected but I found a boat that I want. I'm planning on trading it in, but figured I'd ask here if anybody wants to buy it. I'll put it on the marketplace soon and it will only be for sale for a week. If it doesn't sell by then, I'll trade it in when I pick up my new boat.

I'll deliver the boat to Charlotte, NC (;) ) or anyplace between there and NW Florida.

$11,000 or make an offer. Send a PM to me if you're interested, with your phone # if you want to discuss. I'm on travel this week so excuse me if I don't reply right away.

thanks!

- Jim

shepherd
05-06-2007, 07:37 PM
I added a few more pics to the Marketplace showing the interior and engine. Make an offer if interested. I'm hitching her up and towing her to NC on Thursday if I don't get an offer. Price is negotiable.

And yes, I am going to miss this boat after all I put into her this past winter. Thanks again for everybody's support during the refurb.

87MC owner
05-18-2007, 12:57 PM
So Shep, how did you do on the trade in? Did they give you more than you thought?

TMCNo1
05-18-2007, 01:25 PM
So Shep, how did you do on the trade in? Did they give you more than you thought?
He sold it at home, before he came to CSM to get the 2003 35th Anniversary Edition boat from MYMC, here is the thread,http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=16168

87MC owner
05-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the update. I knew he would sell it fast. Looked too good to trade in!

EFiles
06-04-2007, 11:50 AM
A few turns of the wrench, replace the "GT" decal with the "MC" (of course :) ) and VOILA... Took me 10 minutes.

Note to self: no Armor All on the steering wheel
Hmmm, looks like I need to try to find some new rocker switches for my instrument panel...

(Quote is from the steering wheel post on page 7.)

Where did you get the "MC" decal for the center? My steering wheel looks like yours did. I want to replace it and keep that original look. Been wanting to do this for years.

BTW, this is a great thread. Lots of good info for us late 80's/early 90's owners. Thanks for going to the trouble to post all this.

87MC owner
06-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Yes, great question. I am going to replace my Grant with a new one but would love to have a new decal for the center. Please let us know if you have the template. My 87 PS needs one too.

Thanks

TMCNo1
06-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Yes, great question. I am going to replace my Grant with a new one but would love to have a new decal for the center. Please let us know if you have the template. My 87 PS needs one too.

Thanks
Those emblems are drip molded like the newer decals and normally found on center caps of custom and factory wheels and MC has their steering wheel suppliers make MC emblems for the boat steering wheels. MC no longer carries the older steering wheel center cap emblems, but the later year ones will also work, but check with Rambo Marine, they may still have some in stock.
They were a exact fit to go in the hole in the front lift ring, when sandwiched each side of a piece of hand cut styrofoam too,

87MC owner
06-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Thanks Harold. I knew you would be the one to ask! I am leaning toward a wooden handled grant with brushed stainless versus the soft rubber original. I find that my wife's fingernails are digging into it when she drives! We can't have that now can we?

shepherd
06-05-2007, 11:06 PM
I took the MC emblem off my old steering wheel and just glued it onto the new one. It was in fairly good (but not great) condition. I don't know where you can get a new one - try TMCNo1's suggestion.

Love the emblem in the lift ring Harold. I didn't notice that before on your boat. Nice touch!

87MC owner
06-05-2007, 11:09 PM
True dat. Thanks Shep. I am now working on getting my trailer finished up. TMC No 1 has guided me in the right direction.

milkmania
09-20-2007, 05:29 PM
awesome thread bump

Sodar
09-20-2007, 05:30 PM
awesome thread bump

Did you ever get your interior done, Brian?

milkmania
09-20-2007, 06:41 PM
Did you ever get your interior done, Brian?

just got off the phone with the Embroiderer, she had to send the pics out to be rendered, and that person is having technical dificulties:mad:

fixing to sit on a damn milk crate!

Sodar
09-20-2007, 06:45 PM
JEEZ!!! It has been a few months hasn't it?

teeter
01-29-2008, 08:24 PM
What kind of pinstripe did you end up ordering, it looks great and i need to do the same on mine.

joey414
03-07-2008, 04:37 PM
I was just wondering which kit exactly did you use. I have an 89 and it needs it really bad. I was wondering cause i don't want to get the wrong thing thanks

shepherd
03-08-2008, 01:10 PM
What kind of pinstripe did you end up ordering, it looks great and i need to do the same on mine.

I forgot the name of the company I bought the pinstripe from. TMCNo1 recommend them to me, said they were the best. Maybe he can tell you the company. Colors were black and silver iirc...

shepherd
03-08-2008, 01:15 PM

shepherd
03-08-2008, 01:16 PM
I was just wondering which kit exactly did you use. I have an 89 and it needs it really bad. I was wondering cause i don't want to get the wrong thing thanks

I couldn't find the exact same kit that I bought. It was the same as this one, but the one I bought also came with the rubbing compound and polish: Gel Coat Pad Kit
for Circular Polishers http://www.properboatcare.com/gelcopadkitb.html

TMCNo1
03-08-2008, 01:51 PM
I forgot the name of the company I bought the pinstripe from. TMCNo1 recommend them to me, said they were the best. Maybe he can tell you the company. Colors were black and silver iirc...

www.sharpline.com (http://www.sharpline.com) and www.prostripe.com (http://www.prostripe.com) are by the same company and were OEM suppliers to MC thru 1990. I still have a roll of each for my boat that came from MC in the PROSTRIPE boxes. They no longer make the compo stripe (2 colors) on one roll, but you can get each individual color in the 1/4" and 1" rolls IIRC.

shepherd
03-08-2008, 02:01 PM
That's it. Sharpline. I got individual rolls of black and silver, 1/4" I think - they weren't as wide as 1/2".

TMCNo1
03-08-2008, 02:31 PM
That's it. Sharpline. I got individual rolls of black and silver, 1/4" I think - they weren't as wide as 1/2".

My bad, :o OEM '87, '88, '89, and '90 stripe was 1/4" deck and 1/4" and 1" combo on the hull and I edited previous post, thanks Shep!

prostar190jap
04-04-2008, 10:51 PM
what did you use to get your panel so clean?

shepherd
04-04-2008, 11:04 PM
what did you use to get your panel so clean?

I used 303 on the vinyl parts/instrument panel. I used Meguiar's Color Restorer to hand buff the fiberglass dash area. Then followed up with the properboatcare.com sealant, and then finished with a coat of wax.

prostar190jap
04-04-2008, 11:10 PM
I tried using vinylex but it doesnt get the dirt out of the cracks in the vinyl. Did you use a regular terry cloth on the vinyl?

shepherd
04-04-2008, 11:19 PM
I think I used one of the microfiber cloths that came with my properboatcare kit. Any decent cloth would have worked just as well though, I think. My panel wasn't real dirty - just dusty and faded.

skihorse
04-08-2008, 04:16 PM
do you know the manufacturer and model of the replacement steering wheel you got from pep boys?

ncsone
04-08-2008, 04:32 PM
All I can say is 'Wow'. Great job.

TMCNo1
04-08-2008, 04:35 PM
do you know the manufacturer and model of the replacement steering wheel you got from pep boys?

Grant, Challanger Series, # 414, matches factory steering wheel, take the old steering wheel with you!

Here is the link to Grant, http://www.grantproducts.com/c-94-challenger-series.aspx, or Google "Grant Steering Wheels" for a retailer.

skihorse
04-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Perfect! Thanks!

eqa@shaw
04-08-2008, 04:56 PM
where did you have the new skins done and at what , as I am just about to redo my 89 Prostar

Chaser_rct
04-14-2008, 09:02 PM
I have an 81 stars and stripes it has metalflake on the sides and the deck of the boat has a leather look to it not the smoothe shiney :(...would that proper boat care kit work wonders on the metal flake or no?

TMCNo1
04-14-2008, 09:15 PM
The clear gelcoat has just worn away over the years. The clears did not hold up as well in years past as it does today. You can always have someone paint over the flake with todays automotive clear urethane topcoat and bring it back to life.
This is a common problem also on the older metalflake bass boats!

Chaser_rct
04-14-2008, 09:19 PM
so by clearcoating the metalflake that would bring back the shine!??

panshovel68
02-21-2009, 11:09 PM
That does look great! I hope my interior turns out as nice as yours is.

panshovel68
02-21-2009, 11:10 PM
That looks great!!! I hope my interior turns out as nice as your is.

shepherd
02-25-2009, 12:26 AM
Thanks pan. I just scratched the surface on my boat. You got a real project on your hands! Good luck with yours.

Sledge
03-08-2009, 12:56 AM
First of all, fantastic job on your restoration. What size tires did you put on your trailer? I have the same trailer with F78-14. I found a conversion chart that shows 205/75/14 to be the metric equivalent, but I was wondering if I could find a 15" tire with similar overall dimensions that would fit.

BriEOD
12-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Just flipped through this again. What a project.

glassmaster
12-31-2009, 08:16 AM
OK, the first task in refurbishing my trailer started tonight: Getting the trailer out from under the boat. I remember another thread where some discussion was had as to how to do this. First, I removed the back prop/rudder guard from the trailer. Only 4 bolts. Thanks Mastercraft for making them stainless!

Anyone know where I might be able to find one of these back prop/rudder guards. I don't want to bang up my prop. My trailer did not have one and I have 4 bolt holes instead of 2 holes on each bunk rail.
Also has anyone heard of flipping the axle over on the trailer to gain some extra clearance for the prop and rudder.

mj210166
04-22-2010, 12:40 PM
im attempting to replace the carpet in my prostar 190. did you replace the carpet yourself or have someone do it for you

shepherd
04-22-2010, 12:45 PM
The guy who did the upholstery did the carpet also.

kjohnson
04-23-2010, 08:37 AM
Boat and trailer look great. Do you have any idea how much time and money you put into it?

tgump
03-09-2011, 09:54 AM
I need these decals for my 1990 Prostar 190. The side transem decal is the same as yours. Any idea where I can get them?

BriEOD
03-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Check with Jim at Bay Area Watersports in Tampa, FL. He has a lot of decals.

mark g
03-11-2011, 05:34 PM
I've got the file for the decals you want, if you can get them cut I will send you the file, send me your email address I will send the file over

aquaman
03-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Absolutely.....the boat has first choice for garage space over the wife. No question. The wife can always stay in the house......or Not. ;)

Thanks! Notice that the "After" pics are in the garage? I told the wife that's where she's going to stay for now on! (the boat that is) ;)

ProStar200
11-08-2011, 12:58 PM
I am looking to replace the MC decal on the Steering wheel. Any info on where to find one would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sodar
11-08-2011, 01:03 PM
I am looking to replace the MC decal on the Steering wheel. Any info on where to find one would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Just saw this while I was browsing last night...

http://greatlakesskipper.com/product/40_944-boat-decals-pinstriping-and-graphics-mastercraft/22269-mastercraft-boat-company-mastercraft-759983-oem-mc-raised-foam-filled-boat-steering-wheel-emblem.html

ProStar200
11-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks SODAR, gotta love TEAM TALK.

imjusthereforthefood
03-27-2012, 11:52 AM
love the thread, such an inspiration with my 87

catamount
03-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Just saw this while I was browsing last night...

http://greatlakesskipper.com/product/40_944-boat-decals-pinstriping-and-graphics-mastercraft/22269-mastercraft-boat-company-mastercraft-759983-oem-mc-raised-foam-filled-boat-steering-wheel-emblem.html

Wow! I need one of those too!

Bummer that it's $15 + shipping though. :mad:

89BigBlock
03-31-2012, 10:25 AM
You are not going to be able to find exact match switches. Just wipe some 303 on those switches and they will look 200% better. The switches on my '88 looked like that and with the 303 looked almost new.

Nice job on the new wheel by the way.

You can find the exact match from West Marine

musicmd
10-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Jumping in late on this thread. I literally have read every post twice and am fascinated by how beautifully the boat and trailer turned out, Shep. Thanks for sharing your experiences and thanks to all the TT faithful who also shared ideas and comments.

I just bought a 2004 X-10 which is in great condition overall. However, it is losing a number of decals, especially over the transom.

This is a tiny job compared to what you've described here. However, I've wondered what it would take to remove the rest of the decals, sand/buff to restore the finish and then apply new decals. Your experiences here (and the knowledge of the forum) makes this a much less daunting task.

Thanks for sharing all of this. I'll do the same when I get to my tiny project.

lrmuss
02-16-2014, 06:54 PM
Goo gone works good on pinstripe goo. Make sure you warm the goo first. (wife's blow dryer)

lrmuss
02-17-2014, 05:34 PM
Use Goo Gone on the pinstripe residue. Apply a little heat with a blow dryer first or do it on a 80 plus day in sunlight.