PDA

View Full Version : Who Knows Engines???

Jeff Lyman
10-22-2006, 05:46 PM
I just figured out I have a 351 HO engine in my 93 PS 205. I assume it was an option. Whats the diff between this and a regular 351? Is the hp. 295 for the HO, or is it 285 like my title says?

Snows coming soon I'll beating on my PRO X 600. Anyone one else pound the trails in Northern N.Y. ?

Jerseydave
10-22-2006, 05:52 PM
Jeff,

Not sure about your engine HP, does it have alum. heads? That may be the difference.

We use to ride the trails around Old Forge, stayed at the 19th green motel many times. That was before the kids came along. Maybe when they get older we'll get back up there again.

whitedog
10-22-2006, 05:56 PM
351 H.O. = 285 HP, standard 351 = 240 HP. Should have cast iron HO heads. It was an option.

Jeff Lyman
10-22-2006, 06:15 PM
Whitedog, Any idea on engine specs? compression, carb, cam etc. for the 351 HO. Was this the largest engine option in 93? I got questions because this is all new to me. My last boat was a 90 DONZI 18 and before that a 30 Sundancer then a 42 Wellcraft Excalibure. Inboard ski boats are diffrent animals.

André
10-22-2006, 06:23 PM
Whitedog, Any idea on engine specs? compression, carb, cam etc. for the 351 HO. Was this the largest engine option in 93? I got questions because this is all new to me. My last boat was a 90 DONZI 18 and before that a 30 Sundancer then a 42 Wellcraft Excalibure. Inboard ski boats are diffrent animals.
Was the biggest Ford you could get in 93.The Corvette LT 1 was offer for the first time in 93 too.310 hp i think...
285 hp means you have the GT 40 heads,but i don't think they are aluminiums ...ICBW!
Welcome to the board!
First time driving inboards after those big boats?
A Direct Drive ski boat sure feels like a Corvette compare to a 42 Wellcraft.
Well,maybe not for top speed...;)

Jeff Lyman
10-22-2006, 06:38 PM
Is this a roller motor? Yea first time with inboards like this although I have a 54 ChrisCraft 17 footer inboard with a big straight 6 recieved after my fathers passing this summer. I've spent countless weekends around the thousand Islands Saint Lawerence river Canada areas years ago. Tlaking about speed, 99 mph. exactly with a 18 foot Hydrostream V-King with a midified 265 hp Mod VP Merc, 0 to 80 in 10 seconds !

Hoosier Bob
10-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Roller, sort of. I believe the bottom end of the valve train is roller but the rockers are not. I am planning to go with roller rockers in the future but my 190 with the 285 feels quick enough. It will turn on a dime and does what feels like burnouts. Idle zone bouys are another story. Go manifold then roller rockers but remember speed is determined more so by the trimming abilities of the drive train. YOU HAVE NONE! You can add power but eventually you may drive the bow into the water!

JimN
10-22-2006, 09:09 PM
Jeff- Engine Nut may be of some help since he works at Indmar. If he doesn't know, he may be able to get the specs.

TCrate
10-22-2006, 09:21 PM
Jeff,
That motor is a base 351 Ford Engine Block with the GT-40 cast iron heads on it. Probably comes with a Holley 4010 carburetor. I have a 1992 with the same motor. The horsepower is 285. They added about 40 horse with these gt 40 heads. Beware, I have just discovered hairline cracks in one of my heads after 800 hours. I have a friend with a Nautique, same heads, same problem seems to have been an issue with these heads.

TRBenj
10-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Like was said above, the main difference between the 240hp 351w and 285hp 351w HO is the GT40 heads. I am not sure if the cam is the same or not, although I doubt it. There are tons of ski boats running these motors- they run very strong and are known to be very reliable.

Ford did not convert the 351w to roller cam until 1995 or 1996. I am not sure if any marine motors have roller cams, but MC went to Chevy before the switch. The only Ford windsors that came with roller rockers from the factory were the Cobras from 93+ (302 with 1.7 crane RR's). I believe all other factory windsors have stamp steel rockers.

Edit: Forgot to add that all standard GT40 heads are iron. There are different heads with similar names available from Ford, including GT40p (iron) and GT40x (aluminum).

east tx skier
10-23-2006, 10:47 AM
On the 93 205, the difference was the cast iron GT40 heads and the Holley 4010 dual feed carburetor (not a fan of this carb personally). Horsepower was 285.

east tx skier
10-23-2006, 10:48 AM
Roller, sort of. I believe the bottom end of the valve train is roller but the rockers are not. I am planning to go with roller rockers in the future but my 190 with the 285 feels quick enough. It will turn on a dime and does what feels like burnouts. Idle zone bouys are another story. Go manifold then roller rockers but remember speed is determined more so by the trimming abilities of the drive train. YOU HAVE NONE! You can add power but eventually you may drive the bow into the water!

I'd go prop before manifold. With manifold, you'll have to figure out a way to make room under the box, i.e., start looking for a low profile flame arrestor like they used to carry at skidim.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-23-2006, 01:09 PM
Snows coming soon I'll beating on my PRO X 600. Anyone one else pound the trails in Northern N.Y. ?
You'll find all the sledders here (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5924);)

TRBenj
10-23-2006, 01:11 PM
I agree with ETS- a CNC prop makes the biggest difference of any single mod you can do (and Ive done a bunch).

If you do decide to go with a new manifold, though, I have a performer that Id be willing to sell- very nice shape (you can hardly tell it was used). Even though SkiDIM doesnt sell the low profile flame arrestor anymore, theres still some available out there:

Glen-L Marine 1.5" (http://boatdesigns.com/prodinfo.asp?number=90%2D460E)

2" Chrysler Short Type (http://marineengineparts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page77.html)

1 5/8" Keith Eckert (http://www.keitheickert.com/detail~ID~3481.aspx)

east tx skier
10-23-2006, 02:08 PM
TRBenj, I'm going to check out those links (and may find my answer there), but do you have a part no. for the one that Skidim used to sell? Without it, there is definitely a clearance issue on 91 and up prostars from my experience with it.

TRBenj
10-23-2006, 02:37 PM
ETS, I did have a part number but I cannot seem to find it. Vince at SkiDIM was able to track it down for me. IIRC, your arrestor is a Barbron. I can say for certain that it isnt produced any more, though.

Low profile options are limited, but they can be found. My search pointed me towards those 3 arrestors I linked above. They will all fit 5 1/8" carb bases, which our Holley's are. 1.5" is pretty short, so it should work nicely on the short MC motorbox.

I got lucky and have a bit more clearance than you- I think I will be able to run a 3" arrestor if I can change out my 1" PCV spacer with a 1/2" unit.

rcnjson
10-23-2006, 03:47 PM
FWIW
Summit Racing sells flame arrestors by Holley and K&N, they have a pretty large selection. Please don't tell me it isn't safe to run car parts on a boat, these are marine flame arrestors.
k

east tx skier
10-23-2006, 03:50 PM
ETS, I did have a part number but I cannot seem to find it. Vince at SkiDIM was able to track it down for me. IIRC, your arrestor is a Barbron. I can say for certain that it isnt produced any more, though.

Low profile options are limited, but they can be found. My search pointed me towards those 3 arrestors I linked above. They will all fit 5 1/8" carb bases, which our Holley's are. 1.5" is pretty short, so it should work nicely on the short MC motorbox.

I got lucky and have a bit more clearance than you- I think I will be able to run a 3" arrestor if I can change out my 1" PCV spacer with a 1/2" unit.

I think part of my problem was the different noise reduction material. But on your boat, like the 90 and earlier MCs, the boxes apparently have a bit more clearance. Even with the short flame arrestor, and reduced NR foam in that area, I'm still in very close quarters.

bcampbe7
10-23-2006, 03:51 PM
I think part of my problem was the different noise reduction material. But on your boat, like the 90 and earlier MCs, the boxes apparently have a bit more clearance. Even with the short flame arrestor, and reduced NR foam in that area, I'm still in very close quarters.

You need to retro-fit a scoop! :cool:

east tx skier
10-23-2006, 03:54 PM
I may be cutting some more NR foam out and trimming with foil tape as my local dealer and I are spit balling that that may be the reason I am getting that flat spot at 2,175 rpm. I will run with the box propped up a bit to check before I make any permenant adjustments though.

TRBenj
10-23-2006, 04:16 PM
FWIW
Summit Racing sells flame arrestors by Holley and K&N, they have a pretty large selection. Please don't tell me it isn't safe to run car parts on a boat, these are marine flame arrestors.
k

The shortest flame arrestor that summit sells is 3.75" tall.

butter
10-23-2006, 05:35 PM
I just figured out I have a 351 HO engine in my 93 PS 205. I assume it was an option...

Contrary to an earlier post or two, my understanding is that the 351HO was an option in '92, but standard in '93, with the LT1 as an option in '93. Sorry if I am mistaken.

I have the 351HO in my '92 205, and I absolutely love it. I think the others have already covered the main differences... GT40 heads (the main factor in producing the higher hp), and the 4010 carb. I have heard some negative things about the carb, but have yet to experience them myself.

east tx skier
10-23-2006, 05:39 PM
Contrary to an earlier post or two, my understanding is that the 351HO was an option in '92, but standard in '93, with the LT1 as an option in '93. Sorry if I am mistaken.

According to the 93 brochure, the 351 HO was still an option in 93. The LT1 was also an option except in the 190 Limited where it was standard. The Chevy 454 was also an option that year according to the brochure.

Jeff Lyman
10-23-2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the info guys, On our lake there are atleast 6 comp ski boats, I'm known for alway being the fastest so looks like the my PS 205 will have some work to do. There are a few MC 190's so a loss to those wouldn't be to bad.

Question on the cracked head sindrom where were the cracks found and what were the signs of the problem?

Has anyone ever seen a plate that mounts on the back of the boat between the exhaust that seems to push down on the water and is adjustable seemingly to raise or lower wake or transom height ? I saw one on a Supra once and thought it was a great idea.

east tx skier
10-23-2006, 08:31 PM
A comparably equipped 190 of that vintage may have you beat to 36 mph by only a second or so. Don't sweat it.

I'm staring 14 years old in the face with no sign of cracked heads (knock wood).

Cavitation plates have been standard on Supras for years. Don't worry with one. You don't need it. Grab an Acme prop and your wake will flatten out a bit more. Play with a little weight (say 50 lbs) in the bow if you're still not satisfied. Lots of folks with new boats seem to be going this route.

JimN
10-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Are you sure the boat with the plate wasn't a Tigé? I don't know if I would put one on your boat since you have a totally different hull. It might cause problems by having the nose down too far.

JimN
10-23-2006, 08:33 PM
Doug- you had me worried until I re-read the third sentence of your post.

Jeff Lyman
10-23-2006, 08:47 PM
Weight in the front really makes a diffrence in wake size? I was suprised of the wake height at 32 mph. The pics I saw on this site before looked considerably smaller on other ps's. I believe I have a 4 blade acme prop any other ideas ? A full tank of gas is a ton in the tail 30 or so gallons x 7 lbs. thats alot to compensate I could fill the front seat wells with lead !

lake
10-23-2006, 09:16 PM
The current prop is a 13x13 OJ nibral. I replaced it after I hit a 2x4 dock plank on Table Rock Lake a few years ago. KM

JimN
10-23-2006, 09:30 PM
You can use whatever you want but I would make sure you can toss it overboard in case of problems. I would also look at what you store in/near the back of the boat. More weight in front = less at the stern and will change the wake. Whether it's better or worse is up to you.

east tx skier
10-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Right now, I'm playing with 50 lbs (plastic weights in an old ski boot back). I just set it in the front and can grab it and toss it if need be. Haven't skied it yet, but hope to this weekend.